Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Surprised and Thankful at My Lord's Faithful and Loving Answers to My Prayers!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I rewrote my prayer list last week.  This list had lasted about 5 ½ months.  But, as time passes I add names and concerns.  I have a category on my prayer list for people experiencing grief.  But, I had added so many names to this category there was no more room to add new names.  I cross out entries as lives and situations change. I draw lines to move a name from one category to another.  But, when my list is full of lines and scratches, and there is no more room for new entries, it is time to write a new list. 

 

One way that I change my prayer list is that I move names and concerns in my various categories to my “Thanks List.”  Often the people for whom I prayed are healed.  Or troubles and concerns are resolved, or heading in the right direction.  Some people for whom I prayed have passed on in faith to be with their Lord.  Such faithful death and deliverance from suffering, with the assurance of eternal life in heaven, is also step in a positive direction, and an answer to prayer.  This too is reason for thanks. 

 

So, as I re-wrote my prayer list this time I realized that it is easy to get anxious and fervent in prayer when a need first arises.  But, when the concern lingers, or improves, or is maybe even resolved, do we remember to give thanks?  Consider, how long our whole country, how long the entire world, prayed about the COVID 19 pandemic.   But, in the last month or so many are saying we are at least through the worst of this crisis.  I have heard such words from President Biden, and from the CDC.  Even our local hospital no longer requires masks, and is again allowing family and friends to visit the patients.  I personally prayed about this horrible plague daily, for months and months.  But, have we given thanks for the improvement?  THANK YOU, LORD, FOR YOUR POWER AND GRACE AND ANSWER TO OUR PRAYER!

 

An important area of concern in my life, even apart from my prayer list, is the physical, spiritual, and emotional welfare of my family and loved ones.  It seems there is always some reason to go to the Lord and ask His loving, graceful, intervention for family members.  As I rewrote this current prayer list, I was able to move more than one family concern to my list of “Thanks.”  HEAVENLY FATHER, YOU KNOW I LOVE MY FAMILY AND DESIRE THE BEST FOR THEM.  THANK YOU, LORD, FOR YOUR LOVING HAND IN THEIR LIVES!

 

One category on my prayer list is for those with active illnesses, or surgeries, even cancer.  When I re-wrote my list there were two people who did have cancer, but who have now been told by their doctors that they are cured.  Two others who endured major surgery are recovering, and perhaps even doing better than they were before their surgery.  I moved a number of the names of these friends and family to my thanks list.  Some of those who were ill have passed away in the last 5 months, but I can see the blessing of their being with their Savior in heaven.  LORD JESUS, THANK YOU FOR FAITHFUL DOCTORS, AND FOR MEDICINE, AND FOR YOUR HEALING POWER IN THE LIVES OF THOSE FOR WHOM I CARE.  THANK YOU WHEN YOU CALL YOUR PEOPLE TO THEIR ETERNAL HOME WITH YOU.

 

On my prayer list I pray for people with life struggles. I pray for our country. I also pray for God’s Church, and for families.  Sometimes the aches and concerns on my heart seem beyond help.  But, because of the quiet, gentle, hand of God, many times my concerns have been resolved, often in ways I did not expect.  ALMIGHTY GOD, THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVING AND POWERFUL HAND, WHICH BRINGS YOUR GRACE INTO OUR LIVES.

 

Last week I pointed you to the life directions which God gives in 1 Thessalonians 5.  Please consider why verses 17 and 18 are linked to each other.  17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” God always listens to our prayers, and answers in His love and wisdom.  When He answers, we don’t want to be ungrateful and miss or ignore His hand of love.  We want to thank Him!

 

God’s ultimate answer to all our prayers is found in Jesus.  In the midst of this world’s sin and suffering Jesus gave His life to pay for our transgressions, and He rose again to offer everlasting life.  As we read in 2 Corinthians 1:19 “For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, . . .was not "Yes" and "No," but in him it has always been "Yes."

 

Life is full of trials, and suffering, and grief.  But God calls us to come to Him in prayer, and He promises to answer us in love and wisdom and power.  He promises to answer in Jesus!  I do not want to miss seeing the hand of God in the midst of this world’s pain.  If I miss my Lord’s presence in this life of suffering, I am much poorer for it.  Instead, when I watch and see my Lord’s quiet and gentle, powerful and loving, answers to my prayers, my life is blessed.  My faith is strengthened.  My heart overflows with the joy of thankfulness in the midst of the suffering of this world.

 

Have you brought the desires of your heart to the Lord?  Do you see His wisdom and love as He answers?  Are you giving thanks?

 

A Child of God, Surprised and Thankful for My Lord’s Faithful Answers to Prayer!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  On Sunday, October 16, St. John met to pray and seek God’s guidance in calling a new full-time settled pastor for the congregation.  St. John extended a call to Pastor Matt Gulseth of Pullman, WA.  I invite you to join me in praying for our Lord’s guiding and wise hand in this process.

 

P.P.S. Yes, I did find some time for fishing in Florida during the past week.

·       On Friday, October 21, I went fishing on Waters Lake.  My only bite came from a baby gator.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9FzyDMBCaFhwQ8HS9

 

·       On Saturday, October 22, I went fishing on the Suwannee River.  I caught 7 bass, but only one was big enough to keep.  I did fight the wind, and damage my boat trailer, and broke a pole.  Nonetheless, it was a day of fishing.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/26M7SEPfeohfMEjJ8

 

·       On Tuesday, October 25 I went fishing on a favorite, local lake.  I finally got to keep some fish.  I caught 8 bass, and kept 4.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gEqU4TChJ13VdaXE8

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

“1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment