Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Thankful for the Faith and Love of the Easter Life - Even If My Head is SPINNING!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

It has been a “whirlwind” week for my wife, Kathy, and for me.  Basically, we prepared to leave Alaska for a month or so in order to travel to Florida.  You know the tasks and chores of getting ready to leave.  I helped Kathy (and Mary) clean out the refrigerator, and put away summer supplies for winter months.  Then, I left Palmer while they continued their work.  I drove to the Kenai Peninsula and put the boat away on Friday.  Of course, that required a trip on the river with poles in my hands.  On Saturday I cleaned out and packed away the cabin for winter.  I was also able, on Saturday, to bring the gift of baptism to a man from Funny River Community Lutheran Church, and to bring communion to an elderly saint and her family.  Then Sunday I spent time at Sterling Lutheran, Funny River Lutheran, and Cooper Landing Lutheran Churches, preaching and leading worship at two of them.  I rushed back to Palmer for a birthday party for my youngest son, Tim, who turned 30 (!), and for Mary.  Then Kathy and I packed and caught a ride with Tim and Megan to the airport on Sunday night, flying to visit family and friends in FL.  Guess what!  The busy-ness continues in this southern state.

 

One of the DANGERS of a busy life is that you could miss what is really important: time with God, and time with others.  But, part of the rushing was not just the accomplishment of chores.  I spent time, if short periods, with Christian friends on the Kenai.  I was with Mary Mize, Pat and Sissy Dobson, Katie McLeod and family. I spent time talking to or worshiping with people who have become Christian brothers and sisters, whom I care about, at those 3 churches.  In Palmer, as we loudly celebrated birthdays, our home was full of 14 Rockeys and friends, as we prayed and we ate and we sang and we laughed!

 

This may sound confusing to you, and I understand why.  But, all this activity teaches me 3 lessons.  First, and I think I may have shared this before, while we know all gatherings in this world have an end, and while I miss loved ones when we are not together, as a child of God I am thankful to know that our time together in God’s eternal kingdom has NO END.  Even if we go from one beloved person to another, we have eternity, in God’s presence, with those we love.  Such truth gives me hope!

 

Second, I have learned not so much to mourn the time that we have to leave and say good-bye, as much as to cherish the time we do have together.  What a blessing to be with children and grandchildren, watching them grow, praying with them, eating and laughing with them!  What a blessing to spend time with other Christians around God’s word and sacraments.  Thankfully, while formal worship is involved, so is a time to visit, and listen, and care for one another.  That is why, rather than just be sad when we part, I am thankful for the time we do have.  Kathy and I know that we are truly blessed. 

 

Finally, I am convinced that the presence and the promises of our Lord and Savior make the time we spend together sweeter.  For example, there are “dad moments” when I say the wrong thing.  But because we care about each other, because we share Jesus, we know there is forgiveness.  Yes, we go from chore to chore, but we know that when we live as children of God there is purpose of love and faith in all we do.  And, yes, we do part, and we will be apart, but, because of Jesus we share the hope of eternity.  How sweet God’s eternal love makes our relationships and our chores and activities.

 

After traveling 5000 miles I know the truth of jet lag.  After a week of preparing to leave, and of traveling, I know the confusion of busy-ness.  My head is spinning!  But, God inspires Paul to tell us of busy-ness.  We find meaning and purpose in the Easter life we have in Jesus.  55 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:55-58)

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Faith and Love of the Easter Life – Even if My Head is Spinning!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Here is a picture from the baptism of Patrick Dobson on Saturday, October 8.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/kGvUFjEwAKwm8TWi6

 

P.P.S. I made one last Alaska “summer” fishing trip on Friday, October 7 on the Kenai River.  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/USiidjqbcvoHKh7y9

 

P.P.P.S. Mt. Redoubt was covered in fog and clouds as worship began at Funny River Community Lutheran on October 9.  Then the clouds parted and the majesty of God’s creation was revealed.  Here is one picture I took as I stopped on the road. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhNPRERd8pwsZay29

 

P.P.P.P.S.  St. John Lutheran will have a special voters’ meeting on Sunday, October 16, to ask God’s guidance and vote to call a new pastor.  Please keep this meeting in prayer, and attend if you are able, in person or on-line.

 

P.P.P.P.P.S. Anchorage Lutheran Church is hosting a special Organ Concert on October 23.  Here is the announcement.

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment