Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Committed to Come Weekly to God’s Throne of Grace With Fellow Believers

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Last week I wrote about the practice of personal devotions, and said I would mention this topic again.  One of the devotions I regularly read is written by Rev. Dr. Dale Meyer.  Dale is not only former speaker for The Lutheran Hour, and former president of Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, but also a personal friend.  Dale has been writing this short devotion for years.  These short e-mails impress me as timely, thoughtful, and Scriptural.  They often raise ideas and questions in my mind about living my faith in Jesus.  One of the recent “Meyer Minutes” was the beginning of a series of similar thoughts I received from different sources. 

 

First, on January 18, 2023, Dr. Meyer wrote the following about the COVID epidemic and worship attendance:

“’American’s Theological Beliefs Changed to Suit Post-Pandemic Practice.’” That title caught my eye and suggests to me what congregations need to be doing. Lifeway Research surveyed changes in Christian beliefs since the pandemic. Here are two quotations that lead Lifeway’s report. “After months of quarantines and social distancing, however, Americans increasingly believe worshiping apart from a church is as good as attending church services.” “Additionally, most Americans (56%) don’t believe every Christian has an obligation to join a local church. Fewer than 2 in 5 (36%) say this is something all Christians should do.”

To be sure, there are biblical reasons for regular in-person attendance, but here’s a practical, make-a-difference-in-society-reason from another article. ‘Faith community is the foundation of societal good. It builds strong families, cultivates better mental and physical health, and provides for the welfare of communities and of the vulnerable in ways that no other entity does. Some argue that secular institutions can help provide this—antidotes to loneliness, or answers to the human search for purpose. Thus far, however, no secular institution has replicated what the church community does at scale.’ (Erick Andersen, National Review)

How can we make whatever little difference we can make in today’s American society? One Bible class member asked that question, and I answered, ‘In my opinion, we first need to evangelize the members of our church.’”

 

The next day, January 19, I read the following from “The Christian Post.”  A study from the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that deaths by drugs, alcohol and suicide—known as "deaths of despair"—dramatically increased among middle-aged white Americans in the late 20th century due to lower participation in organized religion that was preceded by a repeal of blue laws that prohibited commercial activities on Sunday. "We know of no other cultural phenomenon involving such large, widespread changes in participation prior to the initial rise in U.S. mortality, nor do we know of any other phenomenon that matches the seemingly idiosyncratic patterns observed for mortality: seen for both men and women, but not in other countries, and in both rural and urban settings, but driven primarily by middle-aged, less educated white individuals," the researchers explained.” I’m sure you obviously see the correlation to the previous day’s message.

 

Then, on January 27, while reading the book, “Keeping the Sabbath Wholly,” as I teach a class over the computer on Worship, I read the following from author, Dr. Marva Dawn. “Why is it that we pay great attention to the commandments not to murder and steal (and think those terrible sins), but don’t recognize the significance of our failure to obey the commandment to observe the Sabbath day?” (Keeping the Sabbath Wholly, page 43)

 

Having heard similar thoughts again and again caught my attention.  How important is Sabbath observance in your life?  Your Christian family?  A number of Bible verses speak to me.

 

In regular worship we respond to God’s love in Jesus, and receive His mercy and grace. “14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-- yet was without sin. 16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (Hebrews 4:14-16)

 

Do you know the encouragement of Hebrews 10?  23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:23-25) Regular worship is a way to hold onto our hope in Jesus, and a way to hold on to our faithful Lord.  In regular worship we encourage one another in this faith and hope.

 

Do you know the practice of Jesus Himself?  “He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom.” (Luke 4:16).  Jesus, the Son of God, God Himself had the custom of weekly worship. 

 

I do encourage you to spend time daily with our Lord in His word and through prayer.  This regular exercise of faith will bless you in your relationship with Jesus.  God’s plan to strengthen our faith, and our relationship with other believers, is regular weekly worship.  This practice is intended to be a blessing, not a burden. 

 

How are you doing in your relationship with Jesus?  Is regular worship blessing your faith and your life? In spite of current trends and ideas, would you benefit from worshipping regularly with other Christians?

 

A Child of God, Committed to Come Weekly to God’s Throne of Grace, Encouraging and Being Encouraged by Fellow Believers,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  If you would like to receive The Meyer Minute, you can send an e-mail to meyerd@csl.edu.

 

P.P.S.  I went fishing 3 times in the last week.  One trip produced fish in the freezer.

·       On Saturday, February 4, I fished on the Suwannee River. It was windy and cool, and the water continues to be the LOWEST I have ever seen it.  I only caught small bass, and a number of mudfish / bowfin.  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/MHM9JYQXBVcLSrHSA  

 

·       On Monday, February 6, I fished first at Newnan’s Lake for Crappie.  I had no bites, and saw none of the other 10 boats around me catch a fish.  So, I drove to nearby Rodman Reservoir.  It took a while to get my first bite, and catch my first fish of the day, but I ended up with four nice bass in the freezer.  I also saw a pair of manatees.  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wk1cKVUHPJkHP1Vq8

 

·       On Tuesday, February 7, I fished with brother-in-law, Mark Reaves, at Orange Lake.  We had some bites, but the only fish we caught was a small bass which we released.  We did see eagles and many other Florida birds, and I finally wore out the battery for my trolling motor after about 200 trips.  I took no pictures.

 

*****

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment