Tuesday, February 28, 2023

What Do We Do When Our World is a Mess?

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

What do we do when the world is a mess?  What do we do when our world is in deep trouble?  Do you watch or read the local and national news?  Actually, maybe watching the news is not such a good idea.  I remember in the 1980’s, when the country was in deep recession and jobs were hard to find, hearing that the number one suggestion for finding a job was to NOT watch the news.  News reports focus mainly on troubles, problems, crime, and other bad things.  The point at that time was, if someone refrained from focusing on these depressing reports, their attitude would be more positive, and they could spend more time on pursing gainful employment. 

 

However, we do not want to ignore reality.  I confess that I do read and listen to news reports so that I keep somewhat informed.  Many reports ARE bad news.  As I read today, and as I try to determine what is real, I hear of a horrible rise in crime in the big cities of our country.  I hear of a rejection of God’s plan for the healthy use of His gift of sexuality, and of efforts to share this rejection of God even in the lives of our children.  I hear of political tensions in our country, in our communities, and around the world.  I see church attendance declining, even among those who claim to believe in Jesus.  And, then we have our own personal issues.  My prayer list normally has about 150 entries for family and friends, and for myself, concerning issues of health, issues of personal trouble, and issues of faith.  What do we do when the world is a mess? 

 

First, I believe that God’s children, rather than pointing our fingers at others, need to confess our own part in creating the ills of our world. Paul writes in Romans 3, quoting what the Old Testament says about sin and evil in the world. 10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." " . . .  23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” (Romans 3:10-12, 23) That is why, as we face the evil in our world, repentance is an appropriate response.  What we can do is to ask, “How did I help cause the problem?  How, as a child of God, can I make our world a better place to live?”  After all, we are in the penitential season of Lent! (You might read all of Romans 3:10-23 and consider how the evil which the Bible describes resembles the evil of our day.)

 

However, remember the advice in the 1980’s about focusing on the bad news.  There is another reality, the reality of our Lord’s power and love, a reality we might miss if we focus only on the bad. I was recently re-reading the book, “Keeping the Sabbath Wholly” by Marva Dawn.  As she talks about the Sabbath and embracing the gifts of God, she referred to Psalm 92.  Listen to how the power and righteousness of God stand against the evil in our world.  (Again, it would be helpful to read the whole Psalm, but these verses stand out to me.)  “6 The senseless man does not know, fools do not understand, 7 that though the wicked spring up like grass and all evildoers flourish, they will be forever destroyed. 8 BUT you, O LORD, are exalted forever. 9 For surely your enemies, O LORD, surely your enemies will perish; all evildoers will be scattered. . .  12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; 13 planted in the house of the LORD, they will flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, 15 proclaiming, "The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."  You see, when the world is a mess, instead of only focusing on the troubles created by sin, we can trust in God. God is with us now and eternally!  Ultimately, all evil and sin will be judged, and God’s people will live in the joy and glory of heaven.  And, in Romans 3, the bad news is, “23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” But the good news is found in the next verse. “24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” (Romans 3:23-24) So, another way to respond to the mess of our world is FAITH in God, in His power, in His righteousness, in His justice and mercy and love, especially found in Jesus!

 

In that same Psalm I also hear one additional appropriate way to respond to the troubles of this world: WORSHIP!  Listen to the first 5 verses of Psalm 92.  “1 A psalm. A song. For the Sabbath day. It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name, O Most High, 2 to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night, 3 to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp. 4 For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD; I sing for joy at the works of your hands. 5 How great are your works, O LORD, how profound your thoughts!” Instead of wringing our hands in worry, we can praise and trust God for His victory over evil by His love and righteousness, especially in the saving work of Jesus.

 

What do we do when the world is a mess?  We do NOT bury our heads in the sand.  We do confess our sin. We turn to the Lord and Creator of all and we trust Him and we worship Him, knowing that in Jesus He is already victorious over all the evil we face.

 

A Child of God, Dealing With The Sinful Mess in our World and in Our Lives,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I continue to encourage you to attend worship this Lenten Season, if not in person, then online.  Regular Worship IS a way to fight the evil in our world!

(I preached at First Lutheran in Gainesville, FL on February 26.  I will preach in Soldotna, Sterling, and Funny River, AK, on March 4 and 5.  I am preaching in Chiefland, FL, on March 12, and then again in Gainesville on March 15 and 19.)

 

P.P.S. On Tuesday, February 28, Kathy and I took a day trip to Crescent Beach, FL.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmUx77ApaNLjJLpQ9

 

P.P.P.S.  It was a REALLY GOOD week for fishing (and golfing).  I fished on February 22, 24, and 28.

 

·       On Wednesday, February 22, after many home chores I took a quick run to Rodman Reservoir.  Basically, the gnats ate my legs.  L  But, the scenery was beautiful!  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVPHY8CjMxrcXtCX8

 

·       On Friday, February 24, I fished at Orange Lake in Cross Creek, FL.  This is a famous Florida bass lake, and it did not disappoint on this day.  I caught 8 bass (keeping the limit of 5), 2 bream, 1 mudfish (bowfin), and miss many others.  I surprised Kathy by coming home early.  The fish do NOT always bite, but when they do J!  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gdCkVYnBSFJYtD2y9

 

·       On Monday, February 28, after golfing with friends in the morning, I fished at the Wacassassa River.  The winds were blowing, but this is a narrow, tree-lined river.  Sometimes I do well, sometimes not.  On this evening, in 2 hours, I had four bites, caught 3 fish, and missed the BIG ONE.  I also had a talk with a Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Officer for the second time in a month, which turned out fine, again.  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/SpeHj8SKgWDta5P48

 

·       On Tuesday, February 28, Kathy and I went to Crescent Beach, FL.  She read and walked, and I did some fishing.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vdy1smqsoFiPgjL19

 

·       I also golfed on Thursday, February 23 with long-time friend, Pastor Rick Armstong.

 

*****

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment