Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Because I Live, You Also Will Live!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

While people celebrate many holidays, Christians primarily focus on the two main days in the life of Jesus, Christmas and Easter, the commemoration of Jesus’ birth and the celebration of His rising from the dead.  So, for Easter, after the extra worship services, the beautiful music, the well written and proclaimed sermons, and the family gatherings . . . then what??  Could it be that we remember the life of Jesus in our worship, but it doesn’t translate into our everyday lives?

 

On Easter 2023, my wife and I celebrated Easter like many others, but then we added one more celebration.  After inspiring worship, a tasty Easter breakfast, and a joy-filled family gathering, Kathy and I went to the graves of my parents.  My mom died on January 17, 2011.  My dad passed away 7 ½ years later, on August 25, 2018.  I was present at the death of both of my parents.  After all the rest of our Easter activities, Kathy and I brought new flowers to the graves of my parents, and we took a picture.  I probably cannot do this every year. Though, who knows?  But, to me, placing those flowers was one of the most meaningful and appropriate activities for Easter Sunday.

 

First of all, though the bones of Elizabeth Rockey and Robert Rockey are in the ground at the Forest Meadows Cemetery in Gainesville, FL, my parents are alive today in heaven.  I believe the words of Jesus are true.  Jesus instructed His disciples on Maundy Thursday evening, . . . Because I live, you also will live.” (John 14:19 b)  Jesus comforted and perhaps surprised the thief on the cross next to Him, “Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”  (Luke 23:43) Because Jesus lives, I am convinced my parents are with Jesus in paradise.  The Easter resurrection of Jesus has power for those I love.

 

Therefore, even though Easter Day is now past, Jesus’ resurrection blesses my life today. In March I returned to Alaska for a short visit to conduct the funeral services for Katie Vasilie McLeod.  I have been friends with Katie’s family for about 30 years, and I heard Katie’s son, Fred, share, “Yes, I miss my mom.  But I know that she believed in Jesus, and that Jesus died and rose for her.  She is in heaven.  I wouldn’t wish it any other way.  I just hope and plan to join her some day.”  In the midst of Fred’s grief, he found comfort and strength that his mom is with her Lord.  By placing those flowers on my mom and dad’s grave, I lived in that comfort too.

 

Also, in a world that is so troubled, the fact that Jesus promises that . . . Because I live, you also will live” gives me hope during my worries, and gives me strength to press on when I can feel, because of the evil in our world, that I am accomplishing nothing good.  I trust Jesus with my future.  . . . Because I live, you also will live.”  I find strength from Jesus for today.  . . . Because I live, you also will live.”  Easter is not just a once a year blowout party.  The Easter resurrection of Jesus is God’s gift to face all the pain and the suffering in this world, and to come out on the other side, victorious in the forgiving death and the saving resurrection of my Lord.

 

We may forget that there is a reason the Christian Church celebrates Easter for seven Sundays, and a reason that we worship each week on a Sunday as a mini-resurrection day.  Jesus’ Easter rising is the event which has changed our lives today, and saves us for tomorrow.

 

I’m not sure if my children will have the opportunity, or the desire, to someday place flowers on my grave on Easter Day.  To me, what Kathy and I did this Easter was an opportunity to look Satan and Death in the face, to spit in their eyes, and to celebrate the victory of Jesus for Mom and Dad.  May Jesus’ resurrection have continuing blessings for your life!

 

A Child of God, Finding Hope and Strength in Jesus’ Resurrection,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is a picture of the flowers we placed on my parents’ grave.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/66XBu9fHmAkAHfbC8

 

P.P.S.  Kathy and I worshiped once on Maundy Thursday, twice on April 6, on Good Friday, April 7, ( I preached) and twice on Easter Sunday, April 9 (I sang in the choir.)  What a joy to remember and celebrate God’s love for us in Jesus saving life, death, and resurrection!  Perhaps you can view these videos of Easter worship from the First Lutheran Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/139346146181292

 

P.P.P.S. We spent time this past week with family, and each other.  On Easter Sunday, April 9, the 5 Rockey siblings (Jonathan, David, Martha, Stephen, and James) and many family and friends gathered at the home of Brian and KJ Fogarty for our Easter meal. 

·       I took very few pictures on Easter Day, but I do have this picture of Rockey (Reaves) wives.  J https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ef6sSHz54Z5kELPd6

·       Here is another Easter “tradition.” J https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rih4TJ5qJ5YQ6Gfo6

·       Kathy and I drove to a Boston Red Sox – Tampa Bay Rays baseball game on Tuesday, April 11.  Here are some pictures.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/eGoS9znqdTxAmC7r8

 

P.P.P,P.S.  Most of my fishing this past week was with family and friends.

·       However, on Thursday, April 6, before worship, I fished in a favorite local lake.  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/d1TupU3uvvJDDgCv6

 

·       On Saturday, April 8, I took high school friend, Bill Mendenhall fishing on Orange Lake.  For the FOURTH Saturday in a row there was a tournament.  Bill called it a “circus!”  I wish I had taken a picture of us together, but we did not catch much.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/R5fPNaCeTDYeTKUv7

 

·       On Monday, April 10, I took my brother, James, fishing.  I will tell this story in a future devotion.  Suffice it to say we got stuck on a log and after phone calls, much effort, the help of a good Samaritan helped us get un-stuck.  James says we were stuck for two hours.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JV1KXvRyabvgNiFUA

 

·       We are preparing for a family and friend FISH FRY on Saturday, April 29.  I have 40 bass in the freezer waiting for the fish fry.  But, I’m hoping to have about 50 to “feed the masses.”  I’m getting close.  J

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment