Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed!! Hallelujah!!!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

When I served as full-time pastor, I always wanted to do a great job, to hit a “home run” with my sermon, on the big holidays of Christmas and Easter.  Somewhere along the way, however, I realized that the Good News of God’s love and salvation for us in Jesus is so good that it does not need embellishment.  Somehow, as the Holy Spirit worked in me, I learned on these special days to simply share God’s simple truth.  It speaks for itself.  Please listen with me to God’s plain Good News of Easter.

 

While preparing His disciples for His coming crucifixion and death, and for the trials God’s children face in this life, Jesus assures them, . . . Because I live, you also will live.” (John 14:19 b)

 

As Paul confronts the pain and reality of death in the church at Thesalonika, He declares, We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.” (1 Thessalonians 4:14) Death is NOT the last word!  Jesus is!!

 

As Paul discusses the guilt we face for our rebellion and sin, He declares that Jesus is not only risen, but in heaven pleading with His Father for us. “33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died-- more than that, who was raised to life-- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.” (Romans 8:33-34)

 

Paul also declares that the love of God, which caused Jesus to die and rise for us, gives us purpose for this life, a reason to live.  “And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” (2 Corinthians 5:15)

 

The plain truth is that our sin against God and our brothers and sisters deserves judgement, death, and hell from our Holy Creator.  But, in sacrificial love, Jesus died to pay for the sin of the whole world.  In His resurrection, Jesus defeated the power of sin and death.  The Good News of Jesus’ Easter victory through His rising from the dead is that, God not only gives eternal life in heaven to all who believe in Jesus, He changes our lives for good in this life.  We can live in courage, because death is not the end, God’s children have heaven coming.  We can live in peace and assurance, because God knows our sin and still loves us – Jesus pleads for us in heaven.  We can live with purpose in a world which has lost its bearing, because Jesus died and rose for us!

 

No wonder the people of God have a tradition of proclaiming the Good News each Easter, “Christ is Risen!  He is Risen Indeed!! Hallelujah!

 

A Child of God, Thankful to Live in Jesus’ Resurrection Victory!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  We spent time with friends and family this week.

·     On Thursday, March 30, Kathy and I visited long-time friends, the extended Conaway family, in Callahan, Florida, near Jacksonville.  Before visiting with our friends we spent time at Little Talbot Island State Park.  I wish we had taken pictures with our friends.  We did take pictures at the beach, and a restaurant along the St. John’s River.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/axwtDLrQrDyjf6DD9

 

·     On Saturday, the extended Rockey family worked to prepare the travel trailer of my brother, David, for sale.  We have taken some pictures of the trailer. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TU52cSQSFc1kxBt58

 

P.P.S. We have been taking pictures of wildlife in Florida.  This week Kathy got a picture of a hawk on our bird feeder, and I took pictures of some lizards, and a pileated wood pecker.  I have compiles an album of wildlife pictures.  Here they are. https://photos.app.goo.gl/c364bntf4pnQ71N5A

 

P.P,P.S.  This past week I went fishing a number of times.

·     On Friday, March 31, I went fishing with neighbor, Pastor Tom Reed, on the Wacassassa River.  We did not catch many fish, but we had a good time.  In addition to turtles and birds on the river, we also saw a turkey and a deer on the road to the boat ramp.  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/62dQ7TuUYo7UnLBN8

 

·     On Sunday, April 2, after worship and grocery shopping, I fished at Orange Lake, FL, by myself.  I caught 6 bass (kept 4), and a mudfish.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGWR5P4VyuXTChAh9

 

·     On Tuesday, April 4, I spent some time fishing at Rodman Reservoir.  Early on I saw a gator, a manatee, and caught a fish.  Two bald eagles also played in the air over my head.  I only caught one fish on this day, but it was an enjoyable day.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/W8GkWnaLWa862kAD6

 

·     We are preparing for a family and friend FISH FRY on Saturday, April 29.  I have 40 bass in the freezer waiting for the fish fry.  But, I’m hoping to have about 50 to “feed the masses.”  J

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment