Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Rejoicing That God’s Word Still Creates Faith, in Old and Young Alike!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,  

 

I have been teaching a Licensed Deacon class on preaching, on behalf of Alaska Mission for Christ, for some men in congregations on the Kenai Peninsula, and Copper Center.  These small churches do not always have a pastor available for Sunday worship.  This class is one way that other churches and church workers can support these small worshiping families of God’s children.

 

On Sunday, June 25, as we discussed during class about writing a sermon, about the difficulty of this task, and about delivering the sermon, I again stressed that the goal of the preacher is to deliver the word of God, not the word of the individual preacher.  Paul told the Corinthians about his apostolic work, 5 For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”

 

The application is that, even when a faithful servant tries to give a winsome message from God, sometimes we struggle in our efforts.  Yet, even in the struggles of a child of God trying to share the truth of our Lord, when God’s word is spoken, even somewhat haltingly, God works through that word and accomplishes his purpose.  I shared with the students that I was often amazed when I had delivered a sermon with which I was not totally satisfied, when a worshiper would still sometimes come forward and thank me for the strength and comfort God’s truth brought them through the sermon.  As a person who lacks God’s full wisdom, I do often struggle in many areas.  Therefore, it still surprises me that God works through my weaknesses.  Nevertheless, this is what God promises.

 

In Isaiah 55:10-11, God makes this promise.  10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” God’s word does NOT return empty or void.  His Word does accomplish His purposes of righteousness, of love, and of salvation.  That is also why God inspired Paul to write, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.”  (Romans 10:17)  God’s purpose is saving faith, and His Word accomplishes that purpose.  Remember, Jesus is THE Word of God.  Jesus is God’s greatest communication of who He is, and what He desires.  “14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”  (John 1:14)

 

I share this long exposition with you in order to relate a short story which happened in worship at Cooper Landing Lutheran on Sunday afternoon, June 25.  We had a total of 5 adults and 2 children, present in worship.  This is a small community, and it is growing smaller.  One of the pillars of this congregation is LaDonna Herbert.  Since 1994 she has reached out to the community, and especially the children, in the name of The Word of God, Jesus.  But, LaDonna is near 90.  Her husband died last winter and she has been living alone.  Therefore, LaDonna is moving to live with family near Salem, Oregon.  Nevertheless, she still encouraged Vacation Bible School in Cooper Landing the previous week.  In this small community, 23 children attended VBS.  Amazing!

 

One of those young children, Bode, was in worship on Sunday afternoon with his cousin, Avery, and Avery’s grandmother, June.  After worship June shared this story with me.  “I think this may be the first time Bode has attended a church service.  But, as you were preaching, the light poked through the clouds and shone through the window behind you.  Bode had been to VBS last week.  He saw the light and told me, ‘Let Jesus’s light shine.’”  That story touched my heart.  Bode has had little exposure to the good news of God’s Word.  But, God’s word IS powerful.  It does accomplish His purposes.

 

When I taught the class on preaching, I was able to tell this story, and emphasize again to the students, that what we want to share with others is especially God’s Word, not ours.  We want to share the Good news of The Word of God, Jesus!  The same is true for all children of God.

 

A Child of God, Rejoicing that God’s Word Still Creates Faith, in Old and Young Alike!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I first spent last week working on my daughter, Mary’s, new home.  I put up some lights, worked on some cabinet drawers, moved furniture, and improved the roof of her shed.  That took a lot of my time.

 

P.P.S.  I actually went fishing twice this past week.

·       On Thursday, June 22, I took Pastor Tony Schultz, his son, AJ, daughter-in-law, Maren, and grandsons James and William fishing on Finger Lake.  They all actually had bites, and all but one caught a fish.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/L2wtYHYgRAvdv5bR8

 

·       After preaching at Sterling Lutheran, Funny River Lutheran, and Cooper Landing Lutheran on Sunday, and teaching a preaching class that evening, I went fishing for sockeye salmon on Monday, June 26.  However, the water was about 2 feet higher than my previous trip.  I had fewer ‘bites’, and caught no fish.  Nevertheless, here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pbr86kD8cGAiErsn7

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior  full-time pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it. 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment