Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Enduring the Pain of Loss With the Sure Hope of the Rescue of Jesus!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Have you ever meditated upon Psalm 22?  That Psalm was part of my daily devotions on Tuesday, November 7.  Perhaps you know this Psalm prophesies the suffering of Jesus on the cross.

 

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?”  (Psalm 22:1) Do you recognize this prayer of Jesus from the cross. (Matthew 27:46). 

 

“6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. 7 All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 8 ‘He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!’" (Psalm 22:6-8) Perhaps you hear the scorn and ridicule Jesus endured from the religious leaders of the day in these verses of Psalm 22. (Matthew 27:39-43) 

 

“15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-- 17 I can count all my bones-- they stare and gloat over me; 18 they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. (Psalm 22:15-18) First, I personally hear the prophecy of Jesus’ thirst. (John 19:28) Did you also catch the prophecy of the piercing of Jesus’ hands and feet in His crucifixion?  Or, did you take note of the casting of lots by the Roman soldiers for Jesus’ clothes? (Matthew 27:35)

 

The suffering Jesus’ endured for us was agonizing.  Amazingly, Jesus knew this suffering and the cross were coming.  He warned His disciples about His betrayal and crucifixion 4 separate times.  Many scholars believe that Jesus spoke the entirety of Psalm 22 from memory on the cross.

 

But, in focusing on the prophecy of Jesus’ suffering in Psalm 22, we might miss His prayer and His praise at the end of the Psalm.   :21 Save me from the mouth of the lion! You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! 22 I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you: . . 30 Posterity shall serve him; it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation; 31 they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it.”  (Psalm 22:21-23, 30-31)  The Psalm also prophesies that after our Lord endured His suffering on the cross, His Father DID save and rescue Him.  When God raised Jesus from the dead, He Lord also saved and rescued us!

 

When we face the trials, the suffering, the losses of life today, God is there to rescue us, to provide salvation, and hope.  God’s people endure the pain, yet we also have reason to to hope, to trust, and to speak praise.

 

This week my eyes brimmed full of tears at the loss and pain suffered by God’s people.  In addition to illnesses and hospitalizations, we suffered the expected, yet sudden death of Pastor Bob Besalski.  He was pastor and mentor to many.  He has been my pastor since 1965, a beloved mentor, father figure, and friend.  However, in and through the grief of loss, we can praise the Lord.  Through faith in Jesus our Lord saves and rescues those we love. He saves and rescues us.

 

The trials of this world may lead us to question our Heavenly Father with the words of Jesus, “ 1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?”  But, in the saving love of God, which conquers sin and death in Jesus, we can also speak these words of praise, from our hearts. “You have rescued me . . .  22 I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.”

 

A Child of God, Enduring the Pain of Loss With the Sure Hope of the Rescue of Jesus!

Pastor Jonathan

 

ESPECIALLY FOR MEMBERS AND FRIENDS OF FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH.

 

P.S.  Today, November 7, our Lord called home long-time First Lutheran Pastor, Pastor Bob Besalski.  Thankfully, First Lutheran member, Barbara Hughes, was with Elaine.  When they checked on him at 12:15, he had passed peacefully in his sleep.  The plans are that Pastor Bob’s service will be held on Saturday, November 18.  Visitation will take place at 1:00 p.m., the service at 2:00, with a reception to follow.

 

P.P.S. CONSECRATION SUNDAY is coming to First Lutheran on Sunday, November 19. 

We have had an opportunity to consider God’s blessings in our lives during worship on November 5.  This Sunday, November 12 will hear about God’s plan for the gifts He gives to us.

Then, in worship on November 19 we will have an opportunity to respond to the love of God in our lives by placing a commitment on the altar. 

After worship we have a wonderful meal prepared by Christa Vigil and helpers.  The menu sounds DELICIOUS: It includes stuffed pork loin, roasted smashed potatoes, Fall vegetables, Winter salad greens, and dessert, including cookies, cake, and apple galette! PLEASE make reservations for the meal.  Reservation cards are in the bulletin on Sunday!

 

FISHING

P.P.P.S.  I went fishing twice this past week.

·       On Sunday, November 6, I went fishing after church in a new place, Lake Hampton, north of Waldo, FL.  I was only able to fish for about an hour and a half before darkness fell.  I had no bites, but the beauty of our Lord’s creation shone in the sunset. As God inspired David to write in Psalm 19:1, The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” Here it is.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/TymEoC4wsy2bDqeA7

 

·       On Monday, November 6, I fished at Orange Lake.  I had some equipment struggles, and came in early.  But, I did catch 2 bass.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/S81GS4BzdixFFPyL9

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

            Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

           

 

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment