Monday, November 6, 2023

Reaction" Dr. Steven Gundry, The Longevity Paradox

 

The Longevity Paradox

 

My Reactions: Questions

 

1.     My first reaction as I read The Longevity Paradox was skepticism because of his views on our existence, Gundry talks about life coming out of the slime.  I believe God created.  I don’t totally understand how that happened.  When someone puts down that belief, it raises a red flag.

 

2.     I also wonder where he got the idea that our bodies are programed for a summer/winter – feast/fast 12 month cycle.  That is the world we live in, but I have not heard that from anyone else, at least regarding how we should eat.  I have also always been told that fruit is good.  He doesn’t much like fruit as part of this cycle.

 

3.     A question I had was, ‘if all the foods he mentions are bad, why do they not harm us in our youth?’  I can understand that our bodies change.  I have experienced that.  But, his list of bad foods is long.  Again, my frame of reference is Biblical.  Bread is not bad in that world.

 

4.     It seems to me that Gundry talks over the head of many, me at least.  He talks about different chemicals and elements very quickly, like we should just believe what he says because we can’t understand it.  I like it when someone can bring things down to my level, though I am willing to admit there is much about science I do not know.

 

5.     I was sharing the book with my wife as we drove the Alaska Highway in September.  Some made sense.  She looked it up on the internet and found a review of the book.  The review was not very flattering.  Here is the link. https://www.truehealthinitiative.org/news/eat-your-beans-but-skip-reading-dr-steven-gundrys-the-longevity-paradox-flaws-and-fruits/

 

6.     Many of the foods he suggests are foods I have not eaten, and I have eaten a lot of different foods.  Not only would I need to find the food, but then cook them.  The recipes would take quite a while too.  It seems more complicated than the South Beach Diet, which usually worked for me, for a while, and then it would stop working.

 

7.     Finally, it surprises me that, even if someone eats with his diet and fasting schedule, and the recommended food, people would still need all the supplements he recommends.  That is a big number of extra pills.

 

8.     Overall the diet seems complicated.  It seems to me it would take a big calendar on the wall to tell me / someone, when to eat, when to fast, which foods today, which supplements to take.  This diet takes a LOT of attention.

 

My Reaction: Some Agreement:

1.     Many of the good foods he like, I also like.  I like greens, avocados, nuts, red wine, olive oil, coffee, sardines, herring, and anchovies.

 

2.     I am already taking many of the supplements he likes, vitamin C, D3, Fish Oil, Glucosamine, magnesium, and Niacin (B).

 

3.     I do like his idea on exercise.  When I do a whole routine of exercises it takes me about 1 ½ hours.  With travel that is at least a 2 hour commitment.  It is hard to fit that in 3-4 times a week, though I was doing it.  So, 5 simple one minute exercises at home makes sense.  I have tried that and like it.

 

CONCLUSION:

It does seem that some of his diet is similar to most other diets.  Eat well, exercise, get your sleep.  What I need to do is find  way to get in my exercises again, and to be more strict in my diet.  I am working on more sleep, better eating, and regular exercise

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment