Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Rejoicing in God’s Love And Joy in the Midst of Life’s Trials and Tears!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Does the bad news in the world around us get you down?  I confess that world and national affairs do concern me.  What about the Middle East? Or the Ukraine? Or recent rockets fired by North Korea?  Does the environment concern you, or the political wrangling surrounding that issue?  And how about division among people in the United States?  Do immigration concerns trouble you? Or the drug epidemic?  Or racial tensions?  How about those in need?  What about the attack on the Christian faith and it’s moral standards?  What about lack of faith in people who once followed Jesus?  Or, the decline in Christian congregations in Western culture? 

 

Or, on a personal level, are you grieving the loss of a loved one?  Do you or a family member have serious health problems?  Do you stay awake nights?  Do you pray fervently?

 

The Psalmists were full of questions concerning the trials of life.  In Psalm 42 and 43 we hear similar laments. 

 

9 I say to God, my rock: ‘Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?’ 10 As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me all the day long, ‘Where is your God?’ 11 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?” (Psalm 42:9-11) (Consider also Psalms 14, 22, 37, 73, 88 and many others)  You hear anguish of the Psalmist in these words.  But there is also good news in the last half of Psalm 42:11.  “Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”  Life may cause me inner turmoil, we do find hope in God!

 

Perhaps this is a strange introduction to the good news which I want to share with you.  But I am asking you to consider the trials of life, so that I can then share with you, by contrast, some good news.  I want to share with you, in the midst of life’s concerns and tears, a wonderfully bright spot which I witnessed on Monday morning, January 22.  I attended chapel for the First Lutheran Open Arms Child Development Center.  I actually arrived a little late, after fighting school traffic.  But, when I did arrive the 3 and 4 year olds were gathered in the sanctuary for worship. Also 20-25 grandparents attended this service as well.  As I walked in the doors everyone was singing  “My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do.”  The grandparents seemed to be even more involved in the hand motions than those energetic pre-schoolers.  Imagine that – the grandparents!  Next all joined to sing, “This Little Light of Mine.” Again, all sang enthusiastically. I watched the families join in with their voices and motions.  In a world where people seem to be rejecting God, what a wonderful blessing to witness the joyful noise from all these children of God!

 

Our pre-school director followed the singing with a story about how about how Jesus is the vine and we are the branches (John 15).  Then a young 4 year old girl helped lead us all in closing prayer.  She prayed, and we repeated after her. “Dear Jesus / Dear Jesus, Thank you for my grandparents / Thank you for my grandparents.  Thank you for my teachers / Thank you for my teachers.  Thank you for my family / Thank you for my family.  Thank you that you always love me / Thank you that you always love me.  Amen / Amen.”

 

Perhaps you know that Jesus came to our world because of our sin which causes the trials and suffering we endure.  But, do you also know the words of St. Paul in 1 Timothy 1?  15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.”  Yet, in addition to this painful reality, Paul had good news.  16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.” (1 Timothy 1:15-16)  In a way that’s like Psalm 42.  In spite of the painful realities of life in this sinful world, God’s love in Jesus is sure.  God’s love blesses lives full of trial and suffering.  God’s love is worthy of our praise, like I saw at the pre-school chapel!

 

I confess that I too have serious concerns about our world, our country, and those I love.  Yet, in the midst of those concerns I witnessed the faith and joy and love of Jesus shown through these Christian families on Monday.  They sang God’s praise.  They waved their hands.  They studied His Word.  They thanked Him in prayer.  I am thankful that they proved the Psalmist true.  “Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”

 

A Child of God, Rejoicing in God’s Love And Joy in the Midst of Life’s Trials and Tears!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  NEWS CONCERNING FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH - Gainesville.

 

·       A POT LUCK MEAL AND MEETING ABOUT THE PROCESS OF CALLING A NEW PASTOR WILL TAKE PLACE AFTER WORSHIP THIS SUNDAY, January 28!

At this time the congregation will look at the work on the self study done by congregational leaders in order to prepare for the call process.  Congregational members are asked to PLEASE ATTEND THE POTLUCK and PLEASE GIVE INPUT into the documents.  PLEASE LOOK AT YOUR E-MAILS THIS WEEK TO READ AN EXPLANATORY LETTER AND THE SELF STUDY.  Members are then asked to attend the potluck to give input as we discuss who we are, who are neighbors are, and how we are doing God’s work.  PLEASE PLAN NOW TO ATTEND!

 

·       WE ARE STILL GAINING PEOPLE TO READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025?  –There is still time to join Pastor Rockey in reading through the Bible during 2024 and 2025, using the “Today’s Light Bible.”  This Bible leads a person through Scripture in 2 years and includes daily devotions.  This Bible may be purchased online at CPH or at Amazon.  Here is a link to purchase this devotional Bible.  https://www.amazon.com/Todays-Light-Devotional-Bible-Fryar/dp/0758643519/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18IZZOYD5KP0Z&keywords=today%27s+light+devotional+bible&qid=1701895876&sprefix=Today%27s+light+devotional%2Caps%2C432&sr=8-1

 

·       LUTHERAN BIBLE TRANSLATORS – First Lutheran supports Tim and Michelle Miller and their work in Thailand for Lutheran Bible Translators.  The Millers will be at First Lutheran on February 4 to report on their word and to thank First Lutheran.

 

·       NEW MEMBER CLASSS –A new membership class will begin in the new year, perhaps on February 4 (NOT THE 11TH).  If you are interested, 5-6 people are talking of attending this class.)    

 

·       A STUDY OF THE BOOK OF ACTS continues on Sunday at 8:45 a.m. in the Besalski Fellowship Hall.

 

·       SUNDAY SCHOOL IS HELD EACH SUNDAY DURING WORSHIP.  Bring your children and grandchildren!

 

P. P.S.  PICTURES – AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

 

·       FRIENDS – In 1977-78, Pastor Rockey and Kathy were in Detroit, MI, for Jonathan’s vicarage at Outer Drive Faith Lutheran Church.  Among the friends they made was Harold Vetter, the young organist who was playing at their congregation.  The Rockeys arrived back in Florida on Tuesday night, January 16, and Harold and Emily Vetter, and their daughter, Rachel, and her friend, visited on Wednesday, January 17.  Here is a picture.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/rNktGTVYFPrHNnBY7  

 

·       P.P.S.  FISHING   - In our first week back in Florida we have been busy catching up after being gone for 2 weeks.  But, I did find time to go fishing once this past week.  It was cool, or cold, for Florida.  When I got off the water the thermometer on my vehicle read 39 degrees.  I think the fish were in hibernation because in 2 ½ to 3 hours I only had one bite.  Nevertheless it was good to get out onto the water.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/XkaDUKFecw7MtJKS8

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

 

 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment