Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Thankful that 'God ALWAYS Has a Ram in the Bushes!'"

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Perhaps you have been reading through God’s Word with me and many others in the “Today’s Light Bible.”  My wife, Kathy, is joining the group in reading and  listening to God’s love, listening to His call, and to His direction for our lives.  On Saturday, after she did her reading, Kathy came to me and said, “That’s what I heard in the Hospice Resale Shop.  One elderly lady told another, ‘God ALWAYS has a ram in the bushes!’”

 

The reading for Saturday, January 13 was from Genesis 22, the confounding story of God calling Abraham to be willing to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac, for whom Abraham and Sarah had waited so long.  If anything, this chapter raises a lot of questions about our Lord Himself.  Many wonder, seemingly with good reason, why God would ask such a thing of Abraham.  In other parts of Scripture the Lord Himself forbids murder, and forbids human sacrifice as abominable.  In all honesty, we should not be surprised when confronted with the mystery of God.  Our Lord’s ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts higher than our thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

 

But, there are some lessons we can learn from this reading, lessons to which God Himself points.  First, the Lord ultimately prevented Abraham from the sacrifice.  Look at verse 12, “He said, ‘Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.’" (Gen. 22:12 ESV) This was a test where, God not only learned the heart of Abraham, but Abraham also discovered his priorities. Abraham grew in understanding the real object of worship - God Himself.

 

However, there is another very important lesson about our Lord which this account teaches, something we all need to learn.  Abraham reveals that lesson in the name which he gives to the place.  “13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called the name of that place, ‘The LORD will provide’; as it is said to this day, ‘On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided.’ (Gen. 22:13-14)  Here is what we need to learn: when we face life’s trials, troubles bigger than we are, The Lord PROVIDES!

 

What challenges do you face today which are beyond your ability to overcome?  All I have to do to personally find such challenges is go to my daily prayer list.  I have entries on that list under different categories.  I pray for people with “life trouble,” for those with “chronic” illnesses or conditions.  I go to the Lord on behalf of family and friends and church members who are afflicted with “cancer,” and for those who are severely “ill.”  I also pray that our Lord will provide “faith” to those who are doubting, and that he will provide comfort to those in “grief.”  In addition, I pray for our “country” and our leaders, and for the nations of the world, that they would work for “justice and righteousness.”  I pray by name for those whom I know are in the “military”, and I pray for “myself” and my own life and faith.  I pray for our Lord’s “Church,” that the Christian Church would boldly proclaim the gospel of Jesus.  I ask God to guide and bless “St. John Lutheran Church” in Alaska, and also “First  Lutheran Church” in Florida. I pray for “families” in stress, and for members of “my own family,” by name and by need.  It is also important that I GIVE “THANKS” for all the ways our Heavenly Father has answered these prayers for situations beyond our ability and beyond our strength and comprehension.  I thank Him for His responses of power and wisdom, of grace and love.  I have learned that when facing impossible situations, like Abraham faced, our Lord does provide.  He does have a ram in the bushes!  I do not know how God will answer, whether in this life, or eternally.  But, time and again I have seen our Heavenly Father answer and provide.

 

However, do you also see in Genesis 22 the other, even bigger way in which God provides?  In Genesis 22:9 we read about Abraham’s faith, “Abraham said, ‘God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.’"(Gen. 22:8) Not only does God provide for Himself, God provides . . . HIMSELF. 

 

The ultimate cause of the pain and suffering and problems in this world is our sin, our selfishness, our rebellion, our pride, and all the ways we turn from our Loving Creator and Lord.  Yet surprisingly, God provides Himself.  "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)  The Lord prevented Abraham from sacrificing his son, Isaac.  But God did give His only Son, Jesus, in love for people who are overwhelmed by the trouble, the death, and the judgment brought on by our sin.  Our sin causes the suffering and death we face, but Jesus overcame our sin when He died on the cross to pay for our rebellion.  Jesus overcame judgment and death when He rose from the dead.  Jesus is “the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”  (John 1:29) Truly, JESUS is God’s ram in the bushes for us!

 

I don’t know what problems those two ladies in the Hospice Resale Store were discussing, but the woman who spoke and answered had it right. No matter what we face, God has a ram in the bushes.  We don’t always know how He will act for in this life, but He provides.  And, we know that eternally God has acted in love through His Son, Jesus.

 

What are you facing right now?  Do you see God’s ram yet?

 

A Child of God, Thankful that God ALWAYS Has a Ram in the Bushes!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  FAMILY – Since returning to Alaska, we have had time to spend with family.  And, look at this BEAUTIFUL sunrise from January 13!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/c8dc3hmAbfiuQAW29

 

FISHING   - I went ice fishing 4 times this past week.  But, boy, did I have equipment troubles!  I might share those troubles next week.

 

·       On Wednesday, January 10, I had set the whole day aside, but my snow machine and auger gave me troubles. Here are some pictures of the beauty of an Alaskan winter! https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ssja8esopRSTtfp58

 

·       On Friday, January 12, I went fishing on Seventeen Mile Lake and the equipment troubles continued.  I still caught 10 trout and 3 arctic char / dolly vardon.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNYfAKZF1rHwDGKy9

 

·       On Sunday, January 13, Kym Miller and I went fishing.  We left the snowmachine at home.  We used her auger, and caught around 50 fish! 😊  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/3RusePGsgUWmWTc4A

 

·       On Monday, January 15, I took family and friends fishing on Seventeen Mile Lake.  Mary, Tim and Megan, and Tim’s friend, Michael, all went fishing in the 0 degree weather.  We fished for about 3 hours and we ALL caught fish.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/iJDenKThyKnkCaEc8

 

P.P.S.  On Thursday, after the previous day of frustration, I went skiing at Skeetawk, rather than be frustrated by cranky equipment again.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HBVSrUccdLWzqMgg9

 

P.P.P.S. .    ESPECIALLY FOR MEMBERS AND FRIENDS OF FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH - Gainesville.

 

READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025?  –There is still time to join Pastor Rockey in reading through the Bible during 2024 and 2025, using the “Today’s Light Bible.”  This Bible leads a person through Scripture in 2 years and includes daily devotions.  We have made it through 2 and 1/2 weeks!  But, there is still time to join us.  This Bible may be purchased online at CPH or at Amazon.  Here is a link to purchase this devotional Bible.  https://www.amazon.com/Todays-Light-Devotional-Bible-Fryar/dp/0758643519/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18IZZOYD5KP0Z&keywords=today%27s+light+devotional+bible&qid=1701895876&sprefix=Today%27s+light+devotional%2Caps%2C432&sr=8-1

 

NEW MEMBER CLASSS –A new membership class will begin in the new year, perhaps on February 11.  If you are interested, 5-6 people are talking of attending this class.)  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zps44Bhsemu8W9rA9

 

TIME IN ALASKA – Kathy and I returned from Alaska, arriving in Florida on Tuesday evening, January 16.

·       We will continue the Sunday Bible Class on Acts.

·       During the season of Epiphany we will focus on missions and evangelism

 

CALL PROCESS

The First Lutheran Call Committee will meet again on Thursday evening, January 18, at 5:30 p.m.

 

A CONGREGATIONAL BRUNCH AND POTLUCK will take place on Sunday, January 28, after worship.  At this time the congregation will look at the work on the self study done by congregational leaders, and then give input as we discuss who we are, who are neighbors are, and how we are doing God’s work.  The purpose of this study is to discover what qualities God wants in the new shepherd for First Lutheran.  PLAN NOW TO ATTEND!

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

 

 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment