Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Called to Holy Living And Made Holy in Jesus, In Spite of My Sin!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

As I read through my Bible on Wednesday, March 6, God’s Word spoke and said, For I am the LORD who brought you up out of the land of Egypt to be your God. You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy." (Leviticus. 11:45)  Now, for those who are somewhat familiar with the Bible, it is not surprising to hear this phrase.  God calls His people to holy living often.  In Leviticus 19:2 the same phrase is repeated.  You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy.” In The Sermon on the Mount Jesus echoes that same command.  You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48) 

 

Because we hear this call from our Lord so often, perhaps we do not grasp all that He is saying when we read these words.  There is a sense in which God’s call to holy living speaks of purpose.  God sets aside the Jews as people who had a purpose which made them different.  This difference of living for the purpose of God is reflected in the dietary laws of Israel, in the Sabbath, in their dress, and in their festivals.  Living as people of God, living for God, is a witness to all who do not know the Lord, or who do not know His power and love and mercy.  Throughout all of Scripture, even though Israel was called to this ‘set apart living,’ God nevertheless loves everyone and wants all people to hear of His glory and wisdom and grace.  Therefore, God’s people are ‘set apart.’

 

Jesus reflects this different, set apart living, in His words in The Sermon on the Mount.  You see, there is also a sense that this purposeful living is also shown in lives of righteousness.  When children of God know what is pleasing to our Lord, and what is loving to our neighbors, when we live that way, we not only witness to God, but then our lives bless others.  That is also why Jesus teaches in Matthew 5, “ . . . let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

 

Since God’s law is fulfilled through loving our Lord and loving others, there is also a way in which Jesus’ new command in John 13 is another repetition of those words I read on March 6th. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (John 13:34 and 15:12)  We live holy, set apart, lives when we love others, especially when we love them in the self-giving, sacrificial way in which Jesus loved us.

 

But, going back to the words on read on Wednesday, “ . . . be holy, for I am holy," we can indeed hear this call from God so often that we overlook the gravity of what God is saying.  When was the last time that your purpose in living for God, when your righteousness, your love, came close to that shown by our Heavenly Father, or shown by our Savior, Jesus?  I fail at living with set apart, righteous actions many times daily!  Never mind that my heart and mind are corrupted through sinful desires.  My actions toward others are often selfish instead of showing sacrificial love.  I even worry that my deeds are not always good, and that instead of pointing others to our loving God, I can at times drive them away from Him.  Have you ever heard anyone say, “If that’s what a Christian is like, I want nothing to do with God?!”

 

Thankfully, God knows our sin and failure, and He takes care of us through Jesus.  We deserve punishment for our waywardness, but in Jesus God washes away our sin.  “. . . the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7)  I also truly appreciate the word picture from Revelation 7 “ . . . They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” (Revelation 7:14)  What a wonderful gift!  God calls us to BE holy, and then He MAKES us holy . . . in the cross and empty tomb of JESUS!

 

I spent time in my devotion on March 6 and read those words.  “ . . . be holy, for I am holy."  Then it caught me that God’s call deep and it is above and beyond my best efforts.  However, as the Spirit reminded me about the rest of God’s Word, I realized again that God takes care of my failure, my short comings, and my rebellion.  When I realize God’s call to holy living, when I realize my failure, and then I hear of the grace of God in Jesus, IT CHANGES MY HEART!  I may not be perfect, but I want to keep repenting of my sin and keep seeking to pursue this call from God.  “ . . . be holy, for I am holy." 

 

You see, God has set each of us aside for a purpose, just as He did to Israel.  And, even in my failure, my Lord is good and gracious.  I pray that others may see the light of Jesus shine through me and through my life as God’s child!

 

A Child of God, Called to Holy Living And Made Holy in Jesus, In Spite of My Sin!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  NEWS CONCERNING FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH - Gainesville.

 

 

CONREGATIONAL MEETING CONCERNING DEFERRED VICAR  First Lutheran Church voted in a congregational meeting on Sunday, March 3, to request seminary student, Timothy Handrick, as deferred vicar for First Lutheran.  We will find out in a couple of weeks if this request is granted. 

 

MID-WEEK LENTEN WORSHIP CONTINUES each Wednesday with worship services at 6:30 p.m.  These services are held at 6:30 each Wednesday in Lent, until March 20. A Lenten meal is held each Wednesday evening at 5:00 p.m.  The Theme of our Lenten worship is “The Blessings of Suffering.”

 

HOLY WEEK SCHEDULE – Here is the Holy Week Schedule for First Lutheran in 2024.

 

·       Palm Sunday Worship – We celebrate Palm Sunday on March 24.  Included in worship will be singing from our Open Arms pre-school children, and a baptism of Lucy Sykes!  There may also be an adult member reception!  Come and join us at 10:00 a.m.

 

·       Maundy Thursday Noon worship  with Communion gives us a chance to “Do this in Remembrance of Jesus”, who instituted the Lord’s Supper on this day

 

o   PASSOVER MEALWe will celebrate a PASSOVER MEAL of lamb, green salad, charoseth (apple and raisin relish), unleavened bread, and wine or grape juice at 6:00 p.m. (This time gives people a chance to arrive from work.) There is a ceremony with this meal which helps us understand Jesus’ Passion and Easter victory.  The Recommended Donation is $15.00 for adults and $5.00 for children.  PLEASE SIGN UP IN THE NARTHEX AT CHURCH!

 

o   7:30 Maundy Thursday Evening Worship – This service, following the Passover Meal, should carry extra meaning.  In addition, 2 confirmation student, Ryland and Kennon Brown will receive their first communion.

 

·       Good Friday Worship

o   We remember Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice with a noon service.

o   We also remember the events of Good Friday with a worship service at 7:00 p.m.

 

·       Easter Sunday Celebration!

o   8:30 a.m. Easter Worship - First Lutheran celebrates Easter on Sunday, March 31, first of all at 8:30 on Easter morning.

 

o   EASTER BREAKFAST – will take place after early worship, probably around 9:30 or 9:45 a.m.

 

o   An EASTER EGG HUNT will be offered for children on Easter morning at 10:00 a.m.

 

o   11:00 Easter Worship gives a second chance to celebrate Jesus’ Easter victory for us.

 

BASIC TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE / NEW MEMBER CLASSS –A new membership class began  February 11thafter worship in the Besalski Fellowship Hall. But, we have only just begun. There is still time to join the class.  This is also a good way to refresh you knowledge of God’s Word.  PLEASE NOTE,   JUST BECAUSE A PERSON ATTENDS THE CLASS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE COMMITTED TO JOINING FIRST LUTHERAN.  If you are interested in learning and growing, we would love to have you join us.

(Because of the Congregational Meeting and Pastor Rockey’s travel, the next class will be March 17!)

 

A STUDY OF THE BOOK OF ACTS continues on Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m. in the Besalski Fellowship Hall.  We are studying Acts 11 and 12.  In Acts 11 we learn of the church in Antioch, where disciples of Jesus were first called Christians.

 

WE CONTINUE TO READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025 using the Today’s Light Devotional Bible.  As of March 6 we had read through Leviticus 11.

 

SUNDAY SCHOOL IS HELD EACH SUNDAY DURING WORSHIP.  PLEASE bring your children and grandchildren!

 

P.P.S.  PICTURES – AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

 

I went FISHING THREE times this past week.  

·       On Saturday, March 2, I fished on a guided fishing trip with guide, Ken Walker, on Rodman Reservoir.  My brother, Steve, and First Lutheran member, Thomas Dudeck also joined me.  I learned some new fishing methods and . . . we caught some big fish!  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxVh7Yg1dt9gR3bz8

 

·       On Sunday, March 3, after worship, I went fishing at Orange Lake.  I had 2 bites and caught 1 fish until the thunder started.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fn3StuzLgkReMtiq7

 

·       On Monday, March 4, I tried a new location.  I went to the mouth of the Suwannee River and fished upstream in the brackish water.  It was a warm day, and the fish were biting somewhat.  I caught 6 smaller fish, and kept 5 for a future fish fry.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/hpVwscHKc6UjcF9w5

 

CRUISE – On Saturday, March 9, my Alaska family, and some Florida family, will get on a cruise to the Western Caribbean.  We have planned this trip for over a year.  I am looking forward to family time.  I expect I will have more pictures to share.  (My daughter, Mary, arrived on Tuesday evening.  The rest arrive from Alaska on Friday.)

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK



 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment