Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Thankful for Family Stories of Faith and Love!

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Monday night, March 11, as twenty of us were sitting around two tables waiting for dinner on our family cruise, the stories began.  Kathy and I were at a table with 5 of our 6 grandchildren, two nephews, our oldest son, Josh, and my sister and brother-in-law, Martha and Mark Reaves.  Almost as soon as we sat down our granddaughter, Emma, asked, “Do you have any stories, Poppy?” Others groaned.  They thought I might go long and tell fish stories.  😊  Then she asked, “Poppy, do you remember when my dad stuck Andy in the cheek with a hook?”  I informed Emma, “Actually, I was the one who did that.”  It happened on Walby Lake before Tim was born.  With myself and 3 children in a canoe, I tried to cast a fly, and my fly unfortunately caught my son, Andy, in the left cheek.  Oops, (sigh) I still regret that one.

 

Then Emma took over conversation.  She started on her version of some more stories.  “Do you remember when you took us fishing and you ran into an island, and you blamed us?”  Actually I did not then remember, and still do not now remember that event.  I remember taking grandchildren fishing MANY times. (I don’t regret doing that.  They even tell stories!)  I have actually had (ahem) a number of mishaps in my boat.  My daughter, Mary, has been present for many of these memorable experiences.  But, Mary wasn’t sitting at our table this night.  Perhaps I ran into a gravel bar on the Little Susitna River with four grandchildren.  But, all five at our table were remembering being present.  My son, Josh, suggested, “They tell these stories enough that, even if they weren’t present, they think they were.”  BUT . . .they do have memories! I have a picture, I think from that trip, of Jackson with a huge grin holding a pink salmon he caught.

 

Emma was on a roll.  “Poppy, do you remember when you took Jake and me golfing?  I thought that would be fun, but we weren’t allowed to swing a club.”  Actually, I remember this golf game.  Children could ride on the course, but they were not allowed to actually golf.  And the course owner was watching!  Emma continued, “You made Jake drive and I had to keep score.  And, it lasted 5 hours!”  I did take them golfing in the spring of 2021 when school in Alaska was conducted virtually, because of COVID, and our grandchildren visited Kathy and me in Florida.  Emma’s memories are a little different than mine, but . . . she remembers time together!

 

“Or,” Emma continued, “do you remember taking us fishing in Florida?  It was really hot and we wanted to go home, but you wanted to keep fishing.” At these words Kathy chimed in, “Preach it, Emma!”  Kathy also thinks I might have kept her out a little long at times in my boat.  😊  I told Emma I did remember this fishing trip.  But my chief memory was of Jacob driving the boat.  My grandson, Jake, often acts ‘cool’, and his smiles can be hard to come by.  However, on this day I saw the biggest grin on Jacob’s face I can remember!  I still have a picture of that gigantic grin behind the wheel of the boat.  Emma also remembered that part of the trip.

 

Our grandkids continued talking about places I had taken them.  A couple remembered falling in the water while ice fishing.  My sister just sat back and enjoyed the show.  Kathy leaned over to me and said something like, “We have created a lot of memories.”

 

Not all stories are happy stories.  I remember the day my mom passed away in 2011 in the hospital bed with her family around her.  Afterwards, not quite knowing what to do, our gathered family, including my dad, went to a Sonny’s Barbeque restaurant.  We still remember that our waitress was Kris, and that she asked how we were doing and picked up quickly what had happened.  We received special attention that night at the restaurant.  I also remember the morning my dad passed in 2018.  He was in a hospice facility.  Though, he seemed comfortable and somewhat strong when we all left Friday night, I received a call at 4:50 a.m. on Saturday that he was fading fast.  I was with him at 5:25 a.m. when God called him home.  Among the many memories I have of my parents, these are bittersweet.

 

I appreciate Psalm 127 for a number of reasons, but the last 3 verses celebrate the blessing of family and children.  3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. 5 Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.   (Psalm 127:3-5) I know those blessings as a father!

 

The Lord had stories for His family to retell in the Old Testament.  Listen to Deuteronomy 26:5-8. 5 "And you shall make response before the LORD your God, 'A wandering Aramean was my father. And he went down into Egypt and sojourned there, few in number, and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous. 6 And the Egyptians treated us harshly and humiliated us and laid on us hard labor. 7 Then we cried to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression. 8 And the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great deeds of terror, with signs and wonders.’” God’s Exodus deliverance of His people is a GREAT STORY and worth retelling!

 

St. Paul summarized the story of God’s family in the New Testament with these words, “14 But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatian 6:14)  (You might want to look at a longer version of this New Testament story which Peter related to those in the house of Cornelius in Acts 10:36-44.)

 

Do you have family stories that bring a smile remembering love and faith?  One more story I hope my grandchildren, and children, remember is dinner time on our family cruise this March of 2024.  Each evening 20 of us gathered around our 2 dinner tables.  As the food was served, before we ate, all twenty of us prayed out loud, “Come, Lord Jesus.  Be our guest.  And let these gifts to us be blest.  Amen!”  I pray our prayer was a witness of faith and love to others around us. 

 

I am thankful my children and my grandchildren have stories about their family.  I pray that, among all their stories, they remember some good stories which speak of faith and love. 

 

Do you have stories of faith and love in your family? What are they?  Do you share your stories?

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Family Stories of Love and Faith!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  NEWS CONCERNING FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH - Gainesville.

 

 

MID-WEEK LENTEN WORSHIP CONTINUES each Wednesday with worship services at 6:30 p.m.  These services are held at 6:30 each Wednesday in Lent, until March 20. A Lenten meal is held each Wednesday evening at 5:00 p.m.  The Theme of our Lenten worship is “The Blessings of Suffering.”

 

HOLY WEEK SCHEDULE – Here is the Holy Week Schedule for First Lutheran in 2024.

 

·       Palm Sunday Worship – We celebrate Palm Sunday on March 24.  Included in worship will be singing from our Open Arms pre-school children, and a baptism of Lucy Sykes!  There may also be an adult member reception!  Come and join us at 10:00 a.m.

 

·       Maundy Thursday

 

o   Maundy Thursday Noon worship  with Communion gives us a chance to “Do this in Remembrance of Jesus”, who instituted the Lord’s Supper on this day

 

o   PASSOVER MEALWe will celebrate a PASSOVER MEAL of lamb, green salad, charoseth (apple and raisin relish), unleavened bread, and wine or grape juice at 6:00 p.m. (This time gives people a chance to arrive from work.) There is a ceremony with this meal which helps us understand Jesus’ Passion and Easter victory.  The Recommended Donation is $15.00 for adults and $5.00 for children.  PLEASE SIGN UP IN THE NARTHEX AT CHURCH!

 

o   7:30 Maundy Thursday Evening Worship – This service, following the Passover Meal, should carry extra meaning.  In addition, 2 confirmation student, Ryland and Kennon Brown will receive their first communion.

 

·       Good Friday Worship

o   Good Friday Noon  - We remember Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice with a noon service.

 

o   Good Friday Evening - We also remember the events of Good Friday with a worship service at 7:00 p.m.

 

·       Easter Sunday Celebration!

 

o   8:30 a.m. Easter Worship - First Lutheran celebrates Easter on Sunday, March 31, first of all at 8:30 on Easter morning.

 

o   EASTER BREAKFAST – will take place after early worship, probably around 9:30 or 9:45 a.m.

 

o   An EASTER EGG HUNT will be offered for children on Easter morning at 10:00 a.m.

 

o   11:00 Easter Worship gives a second chance to celebrate Jesus’ Easter victory for us.

 

BASIC TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE / NEW MEMBER CLASSS –A new membership class began  February 11thafter worship in the Besalski Fellowship Hall. But, we have only just begun. There is still time to join the class.  This is also a good way to refresh you knowledge of God’s Word.  PLEASE NOTE,   JUST BECAUSE A PERSON ATTENDS THE CLASS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE COMMITTED TO JOINING FIRST LUTHERAN.  If you are interested in learning and growing, we would love to have you join us.

(Because of the Congregational Meeting and Pastor Rockey’s travel, the next class will be March 17!)

 

A STUDY OF THE BOOK OF ACTS continues on Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m. in the Besalski Fellowship Hall.  We are studying Acts 11 and 12.  In Acts 11 we learn of the church in Antioch, where disciples of Jesus were first called Christians.

 

WE CONTINUE TO READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025 using the Today’s Light Devotional Bible.  As of March 13 we had finished Leviticus.

 

SUNDAY SCHOOL IS HELD EACH SUNDAY DURING WORSHIP.  PLEASE bring your children and grandchildren!

 

P.P.S.  PICTURES – AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

 

ROCKEY FAMILY CARIBBEAN CRUISE – On Saturday, March 9, my Alaska family, and some Florida family, boarded a cruise to the Western Caribbean.  We left from Tampa, FL, and visited Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize, and Cozumel, Mexico.  The Cruise has included 14 Alaskan family members, my sister, Martha and her husband, Mark Reaves, and our niece Beth and her husband Jason Pruim, with their sons Jonathan and Jayden.  Here is a picture.  😊 (We celebrated Kathy’s birthday on the ship on Sunday, March 10.)  https://photos.app.goo.gl/wnT66W7QXUAZS37E9

 

FAMILY FISHING PICTURES –

·       Here is a picture of Mary when she was 6 years old on Kalgin Island.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/kX7uYj2r5i69JkKt7

·       Was this the trip I ran into an island?  https://photos.app.goo.gl/f1JbzYgrrw7xzVSTA

·       Jake and Emma in the pool with Mimi in 2021.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/dLYWDHD1JSjK1cEc8

·       Here is a picture of Jake driving the boat in FL, with a huge smile.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/DvmYo8Wguzhxx6ee7

·       I think this may be the trip I ran into an island, or gravel bar.  Look at the smile on Jackson’s face.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2MG6aAFded4nVfx5

·       And, on this trip Emma caught a silver salmon.  Emma, do you remember this? https://photos.app.goo.gl/aj4q2j1c9TEVH3TZ9

·       Annie “snagged” some pinks that day.  Look at this.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/5KgvrVKqnH37qoUn6

·       They look like they had fun.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/BSWgx78CiovSKWdP7

·       I hope Emma and Annie remember this day of ice fishing!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/SiUHGprQ1QEgb5Wb9

·       Henry had a good day fishinig later that summer.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nN8YFkARwTcpD116   And, look at this picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7eAyGRUMZiVQ48Fq6

·       Kendall fishing on December 30, 2019. https://photos.app.goo.gl/YDSHqbthqC9LUEZx5

·       On this day Jake caught the only fish.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/GbhKmnNefuNpWEaz7

·       Jake netting a king salmon on the Deshka on June 18, 2020.

·       And there are MORE . . . MANY more!  I will spare you, but I hope my grandkids see these pictures . . . and REMEMBER!

 

 

 

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment