Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Praying for Easter Hope and Joy and Faith, Especially through Life’s Trials

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Wednesday, March 20, I went golfing at Turkey Creek Golf Course in Alachua, Florida, north of Gainesville.  Now, I know my Alaska friends might be surprised that I would complain.  Afterall, most Alaskan are not golfing IN MARCH!

 

However, on this morning, after two holes, I was ready to throw my golf clubs into the lake!  First of all, the league in which I sometimes play tees off at 8:00 a.m.  The sun rose that day around 7:30 a.m.  And it was cold – for Florida at least!.  There was frost on the ground as I drove to the course.  My I-phone read 38 degrees as I teed off.  The humidity of Florida weather makes 38 degrees in Florida feel colder than 38 degrees in Alaska.  And, as a man now in my 70’s, my body does not start as quickly as it once did.  I have some stiffness when I wake, and the aches and pains of arthritis. Before I golf I need to stretch to get ready.

 

But, I have been playing well, and had hopes for the morning of March 20.  So, I teed off on the first hole of play for our group.  I hoped I could make it through the first few holes and warm up and then my game could go alright.  The first hole for our group was number 17, a 137 yard par 3.  I have recently parred this hole many times.  But on this day, though my ball traveled the right distance, and surprisingly traveled straight, it was straight just a little bit to the right of the hole.  I did not quite follow through enough on my swing, and my ball flew straight into a sand trap beside the green.  I hit out of the sand trap, but the dirt was hard, and the ball flew . . . OVER THE GREEN.  I chipped on and then 2 putted for a DOUBLE bogey, 5, not a good way to start.

 

Our next hole, hole 18, is rated as the toughest hole on the course.  My first shot was close to the lake, but not in.  I knew I could hit the ball over the water easily, but I did not want to fly over the fairway into the woods.  I chose a club less than I might have otherwise chosen, and hit the ball solid, right into the . . . yup, right into the lake!  Two shots into the water, one shot out, and now hitting my par shot onto the green, almost.  I chipped on and two putted for a score of 7 on a par 4 hole!  Before I even started I was 5 shots over par!  I had hoped for a good game.  My cart partner was named Scott.  I growled at myself and told him, “Maybe I should just take my clubs and go home.”  He knew I was upset. 

 

So, with a sour attitude I played the next holes.   But, I scored a par, then a bogey, and another par, and another bogey and my score was looking much better.  Scott asked, “Do you still want to go home?”  I confessed to him, “You know, it’s easy to forget that I am outside enjoying God’s creation. (It had warmed up.)  It’s easy to forget that I’m playing a game I enjoy, and that I am healthy enough to play.  I’m with friends.  It’s too bad that I can let a few bad golf shots cause me to forget my many blessings.”  Have the troubles in your life ever caused you to forget God’s rich blessings for you?

 

One of my favorite chapters in the Bible is Romans 8.  Verses 16-18 of that chapter assure us of God’s eternal love, in spite of the trials, the REAL trials in this world. “16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs-- heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”

 

Verse 18 is especially helpful to me.  18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”  In this sinful world we suffer injustice, hatred, persecution.  We endure illness, failure, and guilt.  But for those who are “children of God,” who are “heirs with Christ,” “the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” Because Jesus died for our sin and rose from the dead, he gives the glory of heaven.  Life’s suffering cannot compare with the wonder of heaven!

 

Thankfully, God’s love blesses this life as well as the next.  When we live in the assurance of the glory of God in heaven, we can face this world with peace and joy and hope.  When we live in the assurance of the gift of God’s glory in heaven, we can see his presence and blessings even in the midst of large trials, and small ones, like a bad golf shot, or two, or three.

 

I played pretty well the rest of my match until the last 2 holes. On those holes I reached the green in my desired number of shots, but I actually hit the ball too far. (Until recently my shots have been short.)  So, a 4 putt on number 15 and a 3 putt on number 16 added 5 extra shots to my score - AGAIN!  ☹  However, by that time I had a better attitude, and could be thankful for my good shots, in spite of the bad ones.  What bothers me though is that, as pastor, I try to encourage others to see our Lord and His love in the middle of the suffering and trials of life.  Their troubles are much worse than a bad golf shot. Where is my faith? What example am I setting?

 

Will you join me in prayer? “Lord, send me Your Spirit so that, when the trials of life attack, I believe and stand on your love and victory in Jesus’ cross and His empty tomb.  And please, Lord, allow my faith to point others to You in the midst of the trials in their lives, so that others may not doubt your love, but trust You and Your saving love with all their heart.  Amen.”

 

A Child of God, Praying for Easter Hope and Joy and Faith, Especially through Life’s Trials,

 

 

THANK YOU! - HOLY WEEK VOLUNTEERS!!

            THANK YOU to all who helped make Holy Week special at First Lutheran.  Among others (I hope I do not forget anyone), I / We are thankful for those who served as

·       Pre-school singers and families (Palm Sunday)

·       Musicians

·       Sound and Technology Volunteers

·       Altar Guild

·       Ushers

·       Lay Assistants

·       OFFICE STAFF

·       COOKS for the Many meals

Holy Week was very special, in large part because of the willing service of SO MANY! 

 

CALL COMMITTEE NEWS – First Lutheran was informed during Holy Week that we would not be assigned Timothy Handrick as Deferred Vicar.  He has been assigned to another congregation.  However, we have completed our self-study, and will begin collecting names of possible candidates for the call of pastor at First Lutheran.  A Nomination Form will be included in bulletins beginning, Sunday, April 7.  The process of nominations will be open for 2 weeks.

 

A STUDY OF THE BOOK OF ACTS continues on Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m. in the Besalski Fellowship Hall.  On March 24 we started book 2 of the Acts study, chapter 13, the beginning of Paul’s missionary journeys.  Come and join us in studying about the history of the early Christian Church!

 

WE CONTINUE TO READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025 using the Today’s Light Devotional Bible.  As of March 30 we finished Numbers, and start we started reading in Deuteronomy on April 1.  Feel free to contact Pastor Rockey if you have any questions at 907-841-4066, or at jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

SUNDAY SCHOOL IS HELD EACH SUNDAY DURING WORSHIP.  PLEASE bring your children and grandchildren!

 

BASIC TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE / NEW MEMBER CLASSS –This class began on February 11thafter worship in the Besalski Fellowship Hall. But, we have only just begun. There is still time to join the class.  This is also a good way to refresh you knowledge of God’s Word.  PLEASE NOTE,   JUST BECAUSE A PERSON ATTENDS THE CLASS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE COMMITTED TO JOINING FIRST LUTHERAN.  If you are interested in learning and growing, we would love to have you join us. THIS CLASS WILL RESUME ON APRIL 7!

 

P.P.S.  PICTURES – AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

 

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

·       I only went fishing once in the last week.  While seeking some relaxation before Easter Sunday, I fished on the Suwannee River.  My sources said it would not be a good time to fish, but I was outdoors on the water.  I saw gators, and had one short period of excitement.  I was not getting any bites in the weeds, but I saw a swirl in the river.  When I threw my line there, my line started to run off my reel.  I set the hook and was surprised to see a 3-4 foot tarpon jump – 3 times!  My light tackle did not keep the big fish, but it was exciting.  Here is a picture of what a  tarpon looks like, and a gator or two.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8j5Hv9NXApMHZgy9  

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

 

 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment