Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Thankful that in the Frustrations of Life – God Overcomes by the Power of His Love!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Did you ever try to make plans, have you sought to accomplish something for yourself or for the Lord, and felt like you were just ‘spinning your wheels?’ Have you ever tried to do something worthwhile and felt thwarted at every turn?  Have you been frustrated in living your life, your faith? In truth, we have all known frustration!

 

Sunday morning, leaving for church, was a frustrating experience for me!  On Saturday night I thought I was totally prepared.  My Bible classes and sermon were written.  I had already showered.  I had breakfast set aside.  I thought I could easily leave early on Sunday morning for classes and worship at Anchorage Lutheran.

 

However, that morning turned out differently than expected.  In pouring a cup of coffee, our coffee pot spewed forth some “coffee tar,” spilling thick, dark liquid onto the counter and the floor. (Thankfully the “tar” missed my Sunday clothing.)  As usual on Sunday mornings, I took a final look at my sermon, and sought to print final copies, but my printer jammed in a way I have never seen before. I was unable to print the final version of my sermon.  I did have a crinkled dirty copy to use that Sunday morning.  By now with these delays, instead of leaving early, I left right on time for Anchorage.  At least that is what I thought.

 

Then, on the way to Anchorage the rain fell, unusually hard for Alaska, all the way to town.  I fought hydro-planing in my truck, with other vehicles beside me struggling with the water in the ruts of the Glenn Highway.  When I finally arrived a block away from Anchorage Lutheran I was just on time.  However, a policeman turned me away. The Mayor’s Marathon was going right by the church, on the east and on the south! I was told, “You’re not going this way!”  I tried another approach, and that was also blocked.  I attempted to park across the street and walk to church, but there were new, special “no parking” signs.  Finally, I talked with another policeman. He squeezed me through the line of runners into the back of the church parking lot.  Imagine the pastor trying to arrive at church, yet not being allowed to get onto the property!  I do confess to frustration! I finally arrived about 5 minutes late for Bible Class.

 

When I arrived home that afternoon I shared my frustration with my wife.  I told her I thought I had been ready on Saturday night, but the weather and everything else worked against me.  I felt somewhat powerless.  Kathy instructed me, “It wasn’t just the weather.  The devil did not want you to get to church.”

 

Now please consider our Heavenly Father. He created our world by the power of His word, with creative wisdom, and in love.  In Genesis Scripture reveals to us about His creation. 31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.  (Genesis 1:31) Nevertheless, our original ancestors gave in to the temptations of selfishness and pride from our enemy.  So, the Lord worked through Noah, through Abraham, through Jacob and Joseph. God acted for His people through Moses and David, through Isaiah and Jeremiah, through other leaders and prophets, to call His people to faithfulness.  Yet, to our discredit, every appeal of our Lord’s wisdom and love has been met with hard hearts and the rebellion of those He calls. God sent leaders and prophets to call us to faithful, righteous lives. Time and again God’s created children, even those who claim to follow Him, have turned away toward sinful attitudes and behaviors.  Our sin destines us to the consequences of our transgressions.  We face tribulations, death, and judgement.  What happened to the good plans of God for His creation and His people?

 

Yet, God was not, and He is not powerless.  Our Lord met the opposition of the enemy, He met the sin of His people, with the power and grace of His love.  We live in a world of chaos because of the rebellion of sin.  In spite of our wayward lives, God cares for His people.  Our Heavenly Father sent His Son to the sinful world to take on our sin, and to deal with the chaos and trouble we cause with our fallen lives.  In love, Jesus sacrificed His life. In power and righteousness, He rose from the dead.  God takes the chaos of sin, and offers the peace and joy of eternal life.

 

In 1 Peter God teaches us, “6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” 8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith . . . “  (1 Peter 5:6-9a) We face chaos and trouble.  God cares for us through the trials of this world through His Son.  In life’s frustrations we can cast ourselves on the loving care of God.

 

On Sunday morning, after a frustrating beginning, Bible Class went well, worship went well, and I had a great class after our church service with folks interested in helping with worship!

 

We may be our own worst enemies, but in Jesus God has called us to the blessings of His love and grace through faith in Jesus, and He continues to call.  We are not in charge, but our Lord is, and He acts in love through Jesus.  When life gives struggles, in spite of our best efforts, thankfully, the Lord who created the world in power has acted in love.  When life brings frustrations, we can “6 Humble ourselves . . . under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt us, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for us.”

 

A Child of God, Thankful that in the Frustrations of Life – God Overcomes by the Power of His Love!

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.  I am now serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.  

·        Bible class

o   On Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we are studying the book of Ephesians downstairs in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. There are still some lesson books available.  Class begins at 9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.  On July 26 we will get into Ephesians 2.

 

o   Lay Ministry Classes – I am teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship on Sundays.   However, in addition to our Lay Worship Leaders, others may attend if they wish.  On July 26 we will look at Bible verses on Baptism.

 

Other Activities of Faith:

I am again taking a two-year journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible.”  On Wednesday, July 22, I read 1 Kings 1 and 2, about the end of David’s life and the crowning of Solomon.  In spite of the loving and righteous hand of God, it is amazing how the sin in the lives of God’s people still shows itself. 

You are welcome to join in this journey of reading God’s Word.  You may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these readings.  Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net  I have received questions and comments about the readings.  It is always good to consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only God knows!

 

P.P.S. Friends, Family Fun and Fishing!    

 

·        Yard and Garden – My Garden is doing ok.  Everything is soggy with all our rain.  However, I weeded on July 16.  We have lots of greens, and should have good potatoes and raspberries.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rn1SYti9rmF3ioDZ7

 

·        Friends and Fishing –  We have a summer full of visitors.  For much of the last week we have had a delightful visit from Pastor Chris Kollmann, wife Steph, and their sons, Micah, Jacob, and Zachery.  We experienced lots of activities together, including two fishing trips.  Here are some pictures.

 

o   On Friday night, July 17, I took the family fishing on Finger Lake.  All 3 boys caught stocked land-locked salmon.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/tk5YzE3AGD5Kirzh6

 

o   On Saturday, July 18, we went up into the mountains to Hatcher Pass State Park.

§  We hiked Gold Mint Trail. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GXEnKduL72LDRx9A

§  We stopped at the 16 Mile Lookout. (It was cloudy – no pictures.)

§  We spent time at the Independence Mine Historic Site. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fdFxjV1tNLWYT19e7

§  We drove up to Summit Lake at the top of the Talkeetna Mountains. https://photos.app.goo.gl/svqDfu9VSHVgMTx39

 

o   On Sunday, July 19, we went fishing at a local lake.  EVERYBODY caught fish.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/YHkj13k14yo2A2KeA

 

o   On Monday, July 20, we drove up to the Matanuska Glacier and took a guided tour.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TQa3vv5fRknV9uu9

 

o   On Tuesday, July 21, Kathy and I went about our activities and the Kollmanns went to Seward and took a Glacier Tour / Wildlife trip.

 

·        On Tuesday, July 21, I was met at Anchorage Lutheran by seminary classmate Tom VanDuzer and his wife Mary who were visiting Alaska.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zmos5uDT1eSah1hQ6

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran Church as Vacancy Pastor.)

So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment