Dear Fellow Children of God,
During the past week, since writing my last devotion, I
have had the joy and privilege of fishing 5 separate
times! I took Kym Miller fishing for
salmon on Thursday, and Mary and Brandon fishing Friday night. The District Board of Directors was in town
last week to visit Alaskan congregations.
Friend and board member, Pastor Mike Warmbier, asked me in March if he
could extend beyond the meeting and fish.
He and I fished for salmon on Monday and Tuesday, and then for trout on
Wednesday. We caught salmon on Monday
and Tuesday even though the local rivers were closing Wednesday at midnight. We
also caught lots of trout Wednesday.
I was thinking about the low salmon count, and the
closing of parts of a sport which I love.
The low counts of salmon are disappointing, and somewhat scary for the
future. I could have complained. I could choose to be upset. However, I realized that for this short
period of time I engaged in the hobby I love.
We caught fish, we caught limits of salmon, even though the numbers are
down. We caught trout. I realized that I have a lot for which to
give thanks.
God has many goals for His people which are much more
important than our hobbies.
Nevertheless, He helps and He watches over the lives of His people.
(Psalm 121) Our Lord. who “feeds the
birds of the air” and “clothes the lilies of the field,” values us more than birds
and lilies! (Matthew 6:25-33). The Lord,
who does not let a sparrow fall to the ground apart from His knowledge, values
us “more than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10:29-31) I am convinced that the Lord watches over His
children daily and that we can and should give thanks for “small” gifts, like the
gift of good fishing! 😊
I was feeling thankful for my blessings and then I remembered
the words of Elizabeth, Mary’s cousin, in Luke 1. When Mary was pregnant with Jesus and came to
visit Elizabeth, her response was, “But why am I so favored, that the mother
of my Lord should come to me?” (Luke 1:43). She recognized the blessing,
and wondered why she was so blessed to receive this privilege.
When the centurion came to Jesus and asked healing for
his servant, the centurion knew he did not deserve to have Jesus, the Son of
God, respond. He told Jesus, "Lord,
I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my
servant will be healed.” (Matthew 8:8) Jesus replied in love to this foreign soldier,
“’Go; let it be done for you as you have believed.’ And the servant was
healed at that very moment.” (Matthew.
8:13) Jesus knew the man’s heart and
responded in love.
King David knew that, even though the Lord is good to His
people, we do not deserve this goodness.
He wrote, in Psalm 8:4, “what is man that you are mindful of him, and
the son of man that you care for him?”
God is the Creator. We are His
creation. We have turned from our Lord in
sin and rebellion, and we do not deserve His love. Yet as Psalm 23 says, “My cup overflows.”
(Psalm 23:5) God is SO good!
Yes, I am fortunate for my recent fishing experiences. Yet, that blessing pales in comparison to
being part of a Christian family. My
parents and siblings have made a big difference in my life. My wife and children give me joy I cannot
express. (In fact, Kathy and I celebrate
our 49th wedding anniversary this Thursday! 😊 )
I have been blessed by faithful pastors and wonderful fellow church
members. I have been raised in a country
whose law is freedom. I am so
blessed!
However, all these blessings are nothing compared to the
gift of God’s Son. We do not deserve God’s
love. But, our Heavenly Father loved us
so much that He sent His Son and the Son of God died for me! “6
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7
For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-- though perhaps for a good
person one would dare even to die--8 but God shows his love for us
in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:6-8) And in love Jesus died for you, and for the
whole world! We are so, so, so blessed! I am THANKFUL!
In the big scheme of life five good days of fishing are a
MINOR blessing! However, I was grateful
for time in the outdoors on the water, grateful for time with family and
friends, thankful for fish which bit and even for fish we caught. The blessings of my fishing made me thankful.
But those blessings also helped me to realize how many other major blessings
fill my life. Thank you, Lord!!
A Child of God, Grateful That God Blesses and Cares for Me,
Especially in Jesus!
Pastor Rockey
P.S. Perhaps this
song reflects the thoughts of this devotion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcqria2wmg&list=RDmBcqria2wmg&start_radio=1
P.P.S. I am now
serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.
·
Visit from the Northwest District Board of
Directors – Last week the Northwest District Board of Directors was in town
August 13-16 to meet and to visit some of the congregations in Alaska. On Sunday, August 16, Regional
Vice-President, Pastor Brian Bowes from Okanagan, WA, preached at Anchorage
Lutheran. Thank you to our leaders who
work to serve our local congregations!
·
Bible classes –
o On
Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we are studying the book of Ephesians downstairs
in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. We have some new
lesson books available. Class begins at
9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.
On August 23 we will continue Ephesians 3, and hear God’s prayer for His
people. We may start on Chapter 4. FEEL FREE TO JOIN US!
o Lay
Ministry Classes – I am teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship
on Sundays. However, in addition to our Lay Worship
Leaders, others may attend if they wish.
This week we will begin our study Lutheran theology concerning The
Lord’s Supper.
Other Activities of Faith:
I am again taking a two-year
journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s
Light Devotional Bible.” On Wednesday, August 19, I read 2 Kings 20,
about the healing of Hezekiah.
You are welcome to join in
this journey of reading God’s Word. You
may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these
readings. Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net I have
received questions and comments about the readings. It is always good to
consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only
God knows!
P.P.P.S. Friends, Family Fun, and Fishing!
·
Thursday, August 13 was the first day of school
in the Mat-Su Valley. Here is a picture of two of our grandchildren, Kendall
and Jackson! https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vj8DG49uajjZ1be36
·
I had a recall on my truck for the
transmission. This service truck came
and replaced the transmission software . . . AT MY HOME before fishing on
August 13! https://photos.app.goo.gl/JfxRsWGoQFeLNyjx6
·
Garden – Here are some raspberries I
picked for breakfast on Tuesday, August 18.
They went great with our cereal. https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdWg5HC3Z1HUdM3M7
·
Fishing –
o
I went fishing on Thursday, August 13 with Kym
Miller. Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/msYeQ2mkwoBqmdFVA
o
I went fishing on Friday evening, August 14,
with Mary and Brandon. Here are some
pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/cEaU9JCLAXwgjW6U6
o
I went fishing on Monday, August 17, with Pastor
Mike Warmbier. Mike is on the Northwest
District Board of Directors, but was also one of my seminary ‘fieldworkers’ from
when Kathy and I served St. Paul Lutheran Church and School in St. Louis,
MO. Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7HMcoSYn9gqnDJxz5
o
I also went salmon fishing with Mike on Tuesday,
August 18. Here are some pictures. I REALLY like the picture of Kathy with HER
fish! 😊 https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqFD8wEUWqHWi9Es8
o
Mike and I went trout fishing on Ravine Lake on
Wednesday, August 19. Here are four
similar pictures of Mike bringing in a rainbow trout. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uCTaufNBZWho2f3r5
*******
ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of
August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church
in Palmer, AK. I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled,
"Thoughts from the Pastor." When I retired many asked me to
continue writing these devotions. So I have continued writing.
However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys
Through Life as a Child of God." Since I am no longer senior pastor
at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to
receive it. (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for
First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran
Church as Vacancy Pastor.)
So, if you stopped receiving
these devotions and wondered why, now you understand. And, if you are now
receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know,
and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list. My e-mail
address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.
My prayer is that these
devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.
*******
Jonathan Rockey
Child of God
Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather
Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK
Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK
“How
great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called
children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)
No comments:
Post a Comment