Dear Fellow Children of God,
On Monday, August 24, I went fishing in a canoe with a
friend. While in a boat, while fishing, there
is time to visit. We discussed many topics
including the beauty surrounding us, the clean water, and the fish we were
catching. But, we also discussed
family. For years I have prayed for this
man and his family, and he has prayed for my family. He caught me up to date on those for whom I
have been praying. He is specifically concerned for the eternal welfare of his
children and grandchildren. He quoted 3
John 4 during our conversation. “I
have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” I told my friend, “That is my wife’s favorite
Bible verse.”
The next day I met with a member of Anchorage Lutheran
Church, where I am serving. We discussed
some specific concerns she had, and we prayed about them. However, even though this is not why she came
to visit, this lady discussed numerous grandchildren, and their struggles with
Christian faith. It sounded similar to
my Monday conversations.
This is a concern which I hear frequently. “Pastor, why
aren’t our children, why aren’t our grandchildren in church?” Parents love
their children. Grandparents love their grandchildren. They want the best for
them. Scripture teaches that, while God blesses us greatly in this life,
nothing will compare to the joys of heaven.
Paul writes, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time
are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” (Romans
8:18) Yet, even though people want to
believe that we can determine reality, eternal life is a gift which God gives
through Jesus, when people trust Him for their forgiveness and salvation. So, what happens to our loved ones when they
do not believe in Jesus?
Unfortunately, concern for children and grandchildren is nothing
new. 1 Samuel 3-4 relates the failures of the sons of Eli, the judge of
Israel. Hophni and Phineas lived in the
flesh, disobeyed the Lord, and led to the defeat of Israel. We also learn in 1
Samuel 8:1-5 that Samuel’s sons did not follow His example of faith and
faithfulness. David’s son, Absalom, tried to kill his father. (2 Samuel 15-18) Hezekiah was one of the best kings of Judah,
but his son Manassah may have been the worst. (2 Kings 20). We could go on and
on. Even if they are raised in faith,
children and grandchildren may not always continue believing in and following the
Lord.
What can we do about our children and grandchildren,
about their faith, about their eternity? This is an age-old question. However, what I share is only my opinion,
based on my understanding of Scripture, and faith.
First, according to Scripture, the main role of parents
is teaching faith to their children.
Proverbs 22:6 teaches us, “Train up a child in the way he
should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” The primary
role of parents is to raise children of character in faith. In the New Testament
God teaches, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but BRING THEM
UP in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4) Parents are first called to teach children
about Jesus.
Second, the best teaching is done by example. In The Sermon on the Mount Jesus shares this wisdom,
“. . . let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good
works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) When children see that parents believe in
God, and love Him because He loves them in Jesus, this example makes a
difference.
Third, prayer is one of the offensive weapons of
Christian faith. Jesus also taught, “And he told them a parable to the
effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.” (Luke 18:1) Prayer calls for patience. God answers when and where He knows is
helpful. There is a famous story
about St. Augustine’s mom, Monica, who prayed 20 years for her son as he lived
a wild life. Augustine ultimately became
a man of faith whose teaching continues to bless us today. Augustine’s mother
prayed and the Lord answered. One mother I knew said she trusts the words of
Proverbs 22. “Train up a
child in the way he should go; even WHEN HE IS OLD he will not depart
from it.” “When they are OLD!” The seed of faith was planted. The mother continues to pray. Children can choose concerning faith, and sometimes
our children or grandchildren believe they are smarter than God. But, as long as our children and
grandchildren are alive, we can pray, and God always answers prayer.
Finally, we trust the love and grace of God in Jesus for
our salvation. In addition, we also
trust that Jesus loves our children.
Jesus scolded His disciples for keeping children away from Him. So He corrected
them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs
the kingdom of God.” (Mark 10:14) The old Sunday School song is correct. “Jesus
loves the little children.” And Jesus
loves the older children, and the adult children. We trust Jesus who loves us also has special
love for our children!
God is gracious in that he does save us because of Jesus’
life, His death, and His resurrection by faith, not by works. If we were saved by works, we would all be
lost because we are sinful So, we live
in faith trusting Jesus for our salvation, and trusting Jesus for the salvation
of our loved ones. I am praying for many children and grandchildren,
including my own. “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are
walking in the truth.”
A Child of God, Praying for My Children and
Grandchildren, and Those of my Friends!
Pastor Rockey
P.S. If my children
really wanted to make Mother’s Day special, they would all sit with Kathy in
Church on a Sunday morning! 😊
P.P.S. I am now
serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.
·
Call Committee – On Wednesday, August 19,
the Executive Leadership Team of Anchorage Lutheran voted to restart the call
process. ELT President Steve Fibranz is
recruiting a call committee. The goal is
for a small group which represents all different groups at Anchorage Lutheran.
·
Stewardship Sunday – The ELT also voted
to conduct a Stewardship Emphasis which will provide education on God’s plans
for Christian Stewardship, and will give ALC members an opportunity to plan
ways to respond to God’s grace in their lives.
Watch for updates concerning dates and events.
·
Bible classes –
o On
Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we are studying the book of Ephesians downstairs
in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. We have some new
lesson books available. Class begins at
9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.
On August 30 we will start on Chapter 4.
FEEL FREE TO JOIN US!
o Lay
Ministry Classes – I am teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship
on Sundays. However, in addition to our Lay Worship
Leaders, others may attend if they wish.
August 30 is our last study on The Lord’s Supper.
Other Activities of Faith:
I am again taking a two-year
journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s
Light Devotional Bible.” On Wednesday, August 26, I read 1 Chronicles
9-12 The reading ended with David
becoming king of Judah and Israel.
You are welcome to join in
this journey of reading God’s Word. You
may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these
readings. Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net I have
received questions and comments about the readings. It is always good to
consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only
God knows!
P.P.P.S. Family Fun, Friends, and Fishing!
·
Kathy said that she “kidnapped” me on Friday and
Saturday, August 21 and 22 to celebrate our 49th anniversary (August
20). We stayed at Carlo Creek Cabins
about 15 miles south of Denali. We
attended a “Cabin Night” show which included a meal, and singing, and was a
really good time. Here are some
pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8ZDq86cEhQAKpJTA
·
On Wednesday, August 26, we had a wonderful
gathering of family. Daughter in law,
Erin, and granddaughter Emma, were visiting from WA before Emma starts
school. Andy and Jackson and Kendall were
there. Mary and Brandon came over. Tim made it in from Anchorage. I do have pictures, but none worth
sharing. It was a good time.
·
Garden – My garden was neglected after
July 21 when fishing started in earnest, and when the moose got into the
garden. I still have collards, and
lettuce which we can pick. Broccoli and
cabbage were not doing great, but are pretty eaten by the moose. I have hopes
for the beets, carrots, and potatoes. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fkn86YkefSRBmHBs9
·
Fishing –
o
Kathy "kidnapped" me to travel north
to celebrate our anniversary. Her plan
included me stopping to fish on the way up and the way back. I do have a favorite spot and caught some
fish. This is a grayling caught
8-21-2026. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6hEXpe7Ayr4U49tG9
o Kathy
"kidnapped" me to travel north to celebrate our anniversary. Her plan included me stopping to fish on the
way up and the way back. I do have a
favorite spot and caught some fish. This
is a rainbow trout I caught 8-21-2026. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TkM1E121jRa7XmU69
o Kathy
"kidnapped" me to travel north to celebrate our anniversary. Her plan included me stopping to fish on the
way up and the way back. I do have a
favorite spot and caught some fish. Here
I am in front of the stream. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1edFTv1Xmwj7cKHY7
o Kathy
"kidnapped" me to travel north to celebrate our anniversary. Her plan included me stopping to fish on the
way up and the way back. I do have a
favorite spot and caught some fish. Here
is a grayling I caught on the way back, August 22. https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8B6Mp2kSiPJ9MXf8
o While
Kathy and I were celebrating our anniversary, Mary and Brandon went halibut
fishing with friend, Fred Vasilie. Here
are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7gKkRVWpFTsAPmXG7
o On
Monday, August 24, I went trout fishing on Fish Lake with friend Fred
Duessing. Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gg9kJPMxy7onByA18
*******
ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of
August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church
in Palmer, AK. I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled,
"Thoughts from the Pastor." When I retired many asked me to
continue writing these devotions. So I have continued writing.
However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys
Through Life as a Child of God." Since I am no longer senior pastor
at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to
receive it. (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for
First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran
Church as Vacancy Pastor.)
So, if you stopped receiving
these devotions and wondered why, now you understand. And, if you are now
receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know,
and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list. My e-mail address
is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.
My prayer is that these
devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.
*******
Jonathan Rockey
Child of God
Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather
Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK
Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK
“How
great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called
children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)
No comments:
Post a Comment