Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Hoping in JESUS Through the Groans of This Life!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Do you ever feel like you are living the words of Scripture?  This past week has been wonderful in some ways.  However, many other events of the last week remind me of Romans 8:19-23. “19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.”  I feel like I have been experiencing the “futility of creation,” the results of its “bondage to corruption” because of sin.

 

Perhaps most obviously, in my past week I was present for 3 funerals (July 28, 31, and August 1).  One of those services was on the Kenai River for a friend.  The other two services I officiated as pastor.  I knew two of these people and their families pretty well.  Now, I do know that “The wages of sin is death . . .” (Romans 6:23a).  Nevertheless, it seems to me that each of these 3 people had life left to live, and to gifts to share with others.  Therefore, I have to trust the Lord in all 3 deaths.

 

On Sunday night, August 2, Kathy and I gathered with the Berberich family.  John Switzer, the father of Deidre, was one of those whose funerals I officated.  We were also joined by Herman and Linda Griese.  Our 3 families have been good friends for over 35 years.  But, as Herman and Linda arrived to bring comfort for the Berberich family, they shared tragic news of their own.  Herman and Linda’s daughter, Lauren, and her family lost their home in Spokane on Saturday night to a fire which destroyed their whole neighborhood.  Thankfully, Lauren and Dylan, and their daughters Abby and Anna, escaped safely.  Yet Herman showed me a picture of the smoldering foundation of Dylan and Lauren’s home.  The governor of WA suggested that global warming was at work.  The police, on the other hand, arrested a man for setting the fire.  This man had a previous criminal record, having been arrested for first degree murder of his father, but pleading to a lesser charge.  What is going on in our world?

 

On Monday, August 3, after taking care of a number of errands, I . . . went fishing.  Of course! The silver salmon are starting to enter the Little Susitna River.  Since I have had a boat, the years 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, and 2022 have been exceptional years for catching silvers.  (Maybe you see the pattern.) Often the limit has been raised because of the number of fish.  The last 3 years, fishing for silvers was closed down early because of a lack of fish returning, similar to the king salmon.  I had hope for 2026.  However, after catching my limit on Monday, I received 2 emails from Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Because of low return so far in 2026, the limit for silver salmon in the whole Susitna River system has been decreased to one fish a day.  This is bad news I was hoping not to hear.  It seems that creation IS groaning.  Sigh!

 

On Tuesday, August 4, I received a text from our next door neighbor.  A moose had visited their garden sometime Monday night, Tuesday morning.  Since their garden is close to mine, I walked out to the back yard and checked.  My 6 swiss chard plants are gone.  Most of my 18 cabbage plants are eaten.  There are also chunks taken out of my broccoli and collards.  Kathy is calling it the “moose smorgasboard.”  But I put a lot of work into those plants and have seldom had this problem in the past.  Sigh, again!

 

Now, none of these events by themselves are a surprise.  But for all of these things to happen in less than one week can be somewhat disconcerting.  I understand the words of the Psalmist.  “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” (Psalm 42:11 and 43:5)

 

First, however, I know that I should not be surprised at the trials of this world.  As Paul writes in Romans 8, ALL CREATION exists in subjection. because of sin, until our Lord returns again.

 

Second, the words of the Psalmist point me to hope in this ‘down cast time.”  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”  In fact, God assures us through St. Paul also in Romans 8, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” (Romans 8:18)  In the middle of life’s losses and struggles, it is the Lord and His deliverance in which we hope.

 

Specifically, we learn this coming Sunday, that we are to hope and to keep our eyes on God’s love for us in Jesus.  Our Gospel Lesson for this coming Sunday, August 9, the 11th Sunday after Pentecost, is Matthew 14:22-33, the account of Jesus, and then Peter, walking on water.  After Peter left the boat, when he looked at the waves, and considered the wind, he took his eyes off Jesus and he began to sink.  On our own we do sink in this world of sin.  Because God loves us and sent His Son, as Jesus died for my sin and rose again defeating my sin and it’s results in this life, I can have hope.  I have hope for big things, even in the death of loved ones and friends.  I have hope during personal tragedies.  I can have hope even when nature seems to work against us.  “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”

 

What are you going through right now?  Do you know the love of God for you, in Jesus, even during the midst of your trials?  May the Lord indeed give you hope because, through faith in Jesus, God gives eternal life out of this broken world.  He is with us as we groan, waiting for His return.

 

A Child of God, Hoping in Jesus Through the Groans of This Life!

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.  I am now serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.  

·        Bible class

o   On Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we are studying the book of Ephesians downstairs in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. There are still some lesson books available.  Class begins at 9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.  On August 9 we will continue studying Ephesians 2, and hope to begin chapter 3.

 

o   Lay Ministry Classes – I am teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship on Sundays.   However, in addition to our Lay Worship Leaders, others may attend if they wish.  This week we will conclude our study about Baptism.

 

Other Activities of Faith:

I am again taking a two-year journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible.”  On Wednesday, August 5, I read 1 Kings 21 and 22, about Ahab, his sin, and his death.   

You are welcome to join in this journey of reading God’s Word.  You may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these readings.  Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net  I have received questions and comments about the readings.  It is always good to consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only God knows!

 

P.P.S. Friends, Family Fun, and Fishing!    

 

·        A tragedy –

o   (From Lauren Griese Heck) Hello All. My sis and her family are safe, but lost their house and everything in it to a wildfire Saturday night. Here is their GoFundMe if you wanted and are able to help. She is also working to put together an Amazon wishlist for some of their more immediate needs. Thank you all.   https://gofund.me/f172c490f

 

o   (From Kathy) These are dear family friends who lost their home in the fire in Spokane. Our daughter Mary and Lauren have been friends since they were in preschool. We are grateful they are safe and have a temporary place to stay. Prayers as they work to rebuild their life are appreciated.

 

·        Funerals –

o   I attended a memorial for friend, Greg Jochner, on the Kenai River on Tuesday, July 28.  Greg died from an auto-immune disease, Miller Fisher Syndrome.

o   On Friday, July 31, I officiated at the grave-side service for John Switzer, father of Deidre Berberich.

o   On Saturday, August 1, I conducted a service at Anchorage Lutheran for Melissa VanNoy.

 

·        Yard and GardenMOOSE AGAIN – A moose attacked our garden again.  I think it is now a pattern.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Piue9T8UMULurB86

 

·        Friends–   Here is a picture from our Sunday night gathering with the Berberich and Griese families.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/DrgBATT65GXYV8BW7

 

·        Fishing - I got to go fishing a number of times since the last devotion.

 

o   I fished on the Kenai River out of my cabin in Sterling Monday-Wednesdsay, July 27-29.  Here are some pictures of fishing with a pole.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JYSs5YEXxcWTm7d9A

 

o   I took Tim and Megan and Megan’s parents fishing on Finger Lake on Thursday, July 30.Megan’s parents, Jamie and Tina Pacer, were visiting from the Upper Peninsula in MI.  Everyone fishing caught fish.  Here are some pictures (and an interesting video). https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Bsh97DcBYXzeKeJ7

 

o   On Monday, August 3, after some chores at home, I went fishing on the Little Susitna.  I had quite a few fish on the line, and brought home a limit of 2 silvers.  (Unfortunately, the next day the limit was dropped to one fish a day a person.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/KH1B92tSuwWq7iJBA

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran Church as Vacancy Pastor.)

So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment