Monday, September 24, 2012

Christian Fathers


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

About a month ago my wife, Kathy, told me, “I hear my mom talking to me in my head.”  She explained that she often hears phrases her mom used to speak to her repeatedly.  As I listened she asked, “Do you ever hear your mom talking to you?”  I told her, I guess I did.  She asked what my mom said to me and I told her, “Oh Johnny.”  You see, I used to get in trouble a lot.  I seem to remember those words, and maybe still do hear them from time to time.

 

But, today I’m thinking more about my dad than my mom.  When you read this message it will be September 22, and my dad’s 85th birthday.  Can you think of a more difficult job than being a good Christian father? 

 

In Ephesians 6:4 God instructs dads, “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”  Fathers are called to train their children in Godly living, but to do so in such a way that the children are not driven away by the discipline of their father.  You know as I do that children don’t like to be told what to do.  But when a father is showing his child God’s way to live, the normal reaction of our children is to rebel.  It is difficult to instruct our children and not to face rebellion for that instruction.

 

What is perhaps even more difficult is that the best way to teach is by example.  It is one thing to tell our children how to live.  It is another thing for a father to live in such a way that shows his children love for God and love for others. 

 

I know of no perfect fathers.  I know that I have personally failed at times to instruct my children well.  I have failed because I have pushed my children in such a way that they were frustrated.  I know that my example has not always been perfect, and it seems my kids always catch on to my mistakes, or the contradictions in what I say compared to what I do. 

 

When it comes to being a good father the best example I know is that of our Heavenly Father.  Psalm 103:13 tells us, “As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;”  I firmly believe that when fathers keep their eyes on the actions of God as our Heavenly Father, it will help us to instruct our own children.  It helps fathers to instruct their children in a way that does not exasperate or frustrate them.  Keeping our eyes on our Heavenly Father and His forgiveness in Jesus helps us to keep loving our children even when we fail in our instruction, or our love, or our example.

 

I am thankful that my dad knew his Heavenly Father.  My dad didn’t drop me off in Sunday School. He took me to Sunday School while he taught in another classroom.  My dad took me to worship and led our family in worshiping the Lord.  My dad was not perfect.  I know of times that I rebelled against his instruction.  But, as I look back I know that my dad sought to live what he believed.  His integrity and service in the church and the community continued to give me an example even when I wasn’t sure about following him.

 

Thanks, dad, for watching and following our Heavenly Father.  Thanks for your love, your teaching, and your example.  I am blessed to have you as my father.  Happy Birthday, Dad!

 

A Child of God, Thankful for God’s gift of a Faithful Christian Father,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  I was supposed to be in moose camp this week, but you know I had knee surgery on Wednesday.  I am recovering well.  After the first 24 hours I stopped the prescription pain medicine and have felt no pain.  I can move my leg in small ways that used to hurt, but now do not hurt.  I am waiting to be released by the doctor on Tuesday for physical therapy and the beginning of the resumption of regular use of my leg.  Thank you for the prayers, the calls, and the cards!

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment