Saturday, September 15, 2012

Perserverance for the Christian Adventure


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Many of you know that I shot my first caribou last month.  I finally got a caribou permit and hunted with friend and church member, Steve Arlow, who knew more about caribou hunting.  The whole experience was something to remember.  I enjoyed the opportunity to glass with binoculars and look for the caribou.  I enjoyed the exercise of climbing the mountain stalking these majestic animals.  I am still remembering the excitement of the shot.  And I won’t forget the scenery on this beautiful sunny day; as we reached the fallen caribou Mt. McKinley loomed on the horizon.  I even found joy and a sense of accomplishment in packing the caribou down the mountain. The whole experience is an adventure I will remember.

 

Many Alaskans love adventure.  I’ve met Alaskans who climb mountains or raft white-water rivers.  Many of my Alaskan friends enjoy the opportunity to hunt and fish.  Some enjoy the adventure of simply viewing the wildlife and scenery not seen elsewhere.  Unlike any other place I ever lived, there is a community of people in Alaska who dogsled and even race their animals.  Others find adventure and accomplishment in prospecting for gold or other minerals.  Alaskans I’ve met like to test themselves and experience challenges that perhaps are not available in this way anywhere else.  It is true.  Many Alaskans do love adventure. 

 

The adventures available to Alaskans may be exciting, but have you ever thought of the challenges and adventure Christians face?  First, the Lord God is “King of kings and Lord of lords” and we get to work in His service.  What a privilege!  In a world full of pain and sorrow and bad news, we get to bring good news that the Almighty God loves the world and offers eternal life in heaven through faith in His Son, Jesus.  For some people machines or computers can be complex and confusing.  But in reality there is nothing more complex than another human being.  Christians have the call and the privilege to love people, to share with them, and to lead them to God’s love with His help.  As Christians serve the Lord there is constant difficulty in this service because of our own weakness and sinfulness, and because of the opposition of the forces of evil.  But we have the forgiveness and help and strength of the Almighty Lord of the Universe and our Loving Savior in our efforts to serve God. 

 

Shooting my first caribou after 21 years in Alaska was a great adventure, but it does not compare with the adventure of serving our Loving Lord.

 

However, as with any effort people can become tired.  Even Christians can become tired of the privilege and adventure of serving the Lord.  I have seen people who are excited and enthusiastic as they begin the Christian adventure, but I’ve then seen even the most hearty people wear down at times.  A very important part of Christian living is perseverance, the ability to continue in service to God.  Near the end of the book of Hebrews, the author tells his audience, “1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

 

In other words, Jesus, the Son of God, endured suffering for us.  His example and His love can help us to persevere, to continue in our service of our Loving God, even when we grow weary.

 

There is a way I also grew tired on my caribou hunt.  I guess the knee of this almost 60 year old man wasn’t up to packing the caribou down the mountain.  I’m having surgery soon to repair a torn meniscus.  I hope with a repaired knee I can go hunting again next year.  God’s love and forgiveness for us in Jesus gives us new hearts to persevere in our service of our Loving Lord.

 

A Child of God, Enjoying the Adventure of Serving my Loving Lord

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment