Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Mysteries of God


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

My Devotional reading has recently led me to read the book of Job.  In today’s readings, after Job in his suffering has complained that God is unfair, God answers Job by asking Job some questions about the wonders and mysteries of creation.  The first section of God’s answer that struck me was Job 38:4-7, where God asks Job,  4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements -- surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, 7 when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”  I personal don’t know how the foundations of the earth were laid.  But . . . it must have been something to hear the morning stars sing!

 

Then I read Job 38:22 where God asks Job, Have you entered the storehouses of the snow, or have you seen the storehouses of the hail?  If you look outside this morning here in the Mat Su Valley you know why this verse struck me.  September 29 is early for snow on the ground, even for Alaska!  The point of all this is that life is full of mysteries, truths that are beyond our easy comprehension.  Sometimes the mysteries of life in this world which God created are totally beyond the understanding of our finite minds. 

 

While this part of the book of Job talks about the wonders and mysteries of creation, the book of Job is actually dealing with a greater truth and a greater mystery.  The real topic of the book of Job is, “Why is there suffering and evil in the world?”  And the Almighty Lord and Creator of the Universe does not necessarily give the answer Job is looking for.  Nor does He give the answer we may want to hear.  Basically God is saying to Job, “If you don’t understand the mysteries of creation, how can you understand these even greater mysteries?”  That is not the kind of answer Job expects.

 

Actually, God does give us an answer to Job’s question in the New Testament.  In Colossians 2:2 Paul writes, 2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ  The even greater mystery and question of life is Jesus.  The even greater mystery and question of life is the answer to the question, “How can God love sinners like us?  How can He love people who reject Him, and rebel against Him, and fail Him?” 

How can God do this?  The answer is that God loves us in Jesus!  God sent His only begotten son to suffer and die and rise for people who don’t care about Him as we should. 

 

Snow on September 29?  I guess it could be a long winter.  Actually, I enjoy getting out in the beauty of the Alaskan winter.  As you look around and the beauty of creation causes you to catch your breath from time to time remember the lesson of Job.  The Lord, whose creative power brought the beauty and splendor of our world into being, acts in an even greater way through Jesus to love and save you and me. 

 

I guess I should be ashamed to wake up wondering about the mystery of snow on the ground, but to take for granted the greatest mystery, that God can love and forgive and save even me through Jesus.  This greatest act of our powerful and loving Lord should surely not be taken for granted.  Praise the Lord for the mystery of His love for us in Jesus, even through the evil and suffering and trials of this world.

 

A Child of God, Awed by the Mystery of God

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Here is a picture of the snow in our back yard this morning, September 29.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/September292012#5793681364493756146

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment