Friday, November 16, 2012

Giving Thanks


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Recently my wife, Kathy, and I were discussing our personal devotions.  Kathy has started the practice of journaling during her daily devotions.  She writes down thoughts from her devotional Bible readings that strike her head and heart. She also makes notes about her prayers.  In addition, using a suggestion from a book written by Max Lucado and others, “31 Days of Blessings,” Kathy is writing down every day 3 blessings from God for which she is thankful.

 

I like that idea for a number of reasons.  First of all, I have been thinking of devotional suggestions for St. John for 2013.  In addition to joining other Christians in reading God’s Word together, what a wonderful idea to give thanks together.  Imagine if everyone at St. John read God’s word together and wrote down God’s blessings in their lives.  Can you imagine how contagious this attitude of thankfulness would be?

 

Another reason I like this idea is that my mind is turning to the Thanksgiving holiday.  In planning the Thanksgiving worship service and in thinking about the national holiday, it is healthy to consider the blessings of God and to grow a heart of thankfulness.

 

But, mainly I like this idea of writing down reason for thanks because it is at the heart of how God calls us to live.  In Colossians 3:17 we are told, And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  God’s love for us in Jesus gives us reason for hope and joy . . . and thanks in all situations of life.  When life is difficult, we know that God continues to love and forgive us in Jesus.  When life brings smiles, we know the loving hand of God is in these blessings.  And even in the worst of times the blessings of God are present.  So, as God tells us in Colossians, we can do all in Jesus’ name, giving thanks!

 

Imagine if every day each of us at St. John remembers and writes down at least one, or maybe two, or three of God’s blessings in our lives.  After taking time to remember God’s blessings it is natural to give God thanks.  Imagine if we not only remembered God’s blessings and thanked Him, but then shared our reasons for thankfulness with others.  I am convinced that this attitude of thanks and faith will bless everything we do. 

 

There is another benefit to this attitude of thankfulness.  When we share our thankfulness to God we share joy and faith.  I am hoping that in our devotional time each of us grow in thankful hearts.  I hope you will share with me the ways God has blessed you and your reasons for thanks.  I hope that perhaps on many Sundays at the end of worship one member will bless the rest of us with God’s blessing in their life which has caused them to give thanks. “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” 

 

A Child of God, Blessed with Many Reasons to Thank God,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I returned home late Wednesday night after a LONG day of travel.  Here is a link to pictures from our Reformation part of our trip.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/ReformationTourAndGermanyTrip10282012To11142012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

 

P.P.S.  My “Picasa” website has a limit of pictures I can post.  However, if you friend “Jonathan Rockey” or “St. John Lutheran Church” on Facebook, you can often see bigger albums.  There is an album I posted on Facebook about our genealogical search.

 

****

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment