Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Trusting the Lord to Strengthen Us


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Have you ever been asked to do something new, something you’ve never done, something that takes you out of your comfort zone?  Recently I was approached in a local restaurant by a lady who, at that time, looked familiar but I did not remember.  She said something like, “Pastor Rockey, I am the director for the VPA play “Sense and Sensibility.”  I think you would make a good ‘Sir John Middleton.’  I’d like you to try out for this part.”

 

I tried to get out of this new experience.  I responded that I had never been in a play before.  I pointed out that I have a very busy schedule.  She assured me she would work with me on those concerns.  So, I asked my congregational President, Dave Nufer, and my wife, Kathy, what they thought.  I thought they might agree I was too busy or that this new opportunity was out of my area of skill and experience.  However, both encouraged me to try out.  Kathy even said she thought this new experience would be good for me. I had tried to say no on three counts to three people, and failed.  I will be tackling a new experience when the play runs January 11 to February 3. 

 

It is not uncommon for God’s people to be asked to do something they are not sure they can do.  In fact, God asks people to do jobs for Him that are much more difficult than simply taking part in a local play.  Often these people also try to say, ‘No!” Moses claimed he had trouble speaking.  Jeremiah told God that he was too young.  Peter told Jesus to leave him, because he was a man of unclean lips.  Each of these men tried to say no to God.  But in each case God equipped and strengthened these men.  God used these men to accomplish His purposes among His people.

 

I bring up this topic because soon many St. John members, many of you, may be asked to consider serving in a task where you may feel uncomfortable.  In order to conduct God’s work many will be asked to help us do the work of evangelism, or the work of Christian education, or to plan worship, or to work with our youth, or to serve in other positions of servant leadership.  On Sunday night, October 21, one of our current leaders was sharing with me that it is difficult at times to find people willing to serve.  This same person, however, shared that trying a new experience and serving God can also be a source of real joy.

 

In 1 Corinthians 12:7, God tells the church, “Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.  When we seek to serve the Lord we use gifts and talents and abilities He has given.  God gives these gifts for the common good of all in His Church.  When we step out to try new opportunities of service, we are serving the Lord who stepped out for us.  Jesus took human form to live and die and rise to save us

 

So, I am in the play!  I’m still wondering, “What did I do?”  But, I have committed myself to enjoy this new adventure and I hope to find a way to serve and bless others.  I pray that if you are asked to serve the Lord you won’t say, “I can’t,” but instead respond, “God help me to serve You.”

 

A Child of God, Stepping out and Seeking to Grow,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment