Saturday, June 22, 2013

A HEALTHY New Grandbaby - Reason for Praise and Thanks


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I can think of at least 3 times in recent years that I have been called to the hospital for the death of a child.  The recent situations I am remembering are from my volunteer service as chaplain at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.  But, I can also remember quite a number of situation s in which children of various ages who are members or friends of congregations where I have been pastor have been called home.

 

I know of no more devastating tragedy.  In many ways children hold the hope we have for the future.  We know the struggles and failures in our own lives.  But children have their whole lives in front of them.  Christians believe that every life is sacred and, with that future, we see in the life of a child the presence and the help and strength and love of God.  So, in many ways children are a source of joy and hope.  The death of a child is an unspeakably devastating loss.

 

With that recent personal history I want to share with you reason for thanks and praise to our loving Lord.  Many of you know that our 6th grandchild was scheduled to be born by C-section this past Monday, June 17.  But, even though God calls us to not worry, I confess to having been worried concerning this birth.  We have 4 children of our own, and this was to be our 6th grandchild.  But Kathy and I have never experienced a pregnancy with so many warnings and cautions from the doctors.  There were times during this pregnancy the doctors did not expect the baby to survive.  There were times in this pregnancy the doctors seriously wondered if the child would be healthy.  So, it was with prayer to God and hope and trust in his goodness that we gathered in the hospital waiting room at 7:00 a.m. on Monday morning.

 

At 8:13 a.m. (it’s on my phone) we started getting texts from our son.  The baby was born.  Then we got pictures. What a beautiful baby!    (Sometimes technology is an amazing gift.) Then about 8:30 a.m. our son came out of the delivery room and told us everyone was well and healthy.  Having been worried, I wanted to see for myself.  So I waited my turn and brought my camera in to see our newest grandchild.  Annabelle Marie is a beautiful healthy baby.  I counted 10 fingers.  She has a full head of dark hair.  What a moment of relief and joy!  Praise the Lord for His answer to prayer!

 

I confess to feeling a little guilty, or selfish, or privileged.  Throughout my life I have prayed for many people.  Many times God has answered those prayers in ways I had hoped, even in ways the doctors don’t understand.  But, I can also think of many for whom I prayed in which God’s answer was different than my hope.  I trust that God in His wisdom and love and mercy always to work good for the eternal purposes of His people.  But, why were our prayers answered in this way?

 

I think I know how King David felt when He wrote Psalm 30.  David indicated that he had been ill to the point of facing death.  But God healed David and saved him from the grave.  (Psalm 30:2-3).  Therefore, Psalm 30 is full of praise and thanks, especially the last 2 verses.  11 You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,  12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.”

 

Actually, even in the cases of those children God allowed to be called home He has love and mercy and salvation.  God allowed His own Son to suffer and die, and then rise, so when death does come those who are His by faith have eternal life in heaven.  Even when it seems God’s answer is disappointing, He is still merciful and loving.

 

So, five days later I sit here still with tears in my eyes again and I praise God with King David.  11 You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,  12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.”

 

A Child of God, Living in His Mercy and Love,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

P.S.  Annabelle Marie was 7 lb., 12 oz., 20 ¼ inches long.  If you want to see some pictures of Annabelle you can look at this link.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/5890718792318213185

 

P.P.S.  However, I am also attaching to this e-mail two of my new favorite pictures.

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment