Saturday, June 1, 2013

Vacation Bible School - Christian Parenting


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you ever look at Facebook?  Sometimes in their posts people make somewhat revealing personal statements about the stresses of life.

 

I saw a Facebook post (Actually, I’ve seen more than one such post.) in the past year where someone posted about being a “bad mom.”  Let me say I know this person and they are a good mom, loving, responsible, and attentive.   However, in this instance the mom had tried to take care of her children but, in spite of her best efforts, the children still encountered some difficulties from which mom had been trying to protect them.  Her words about being a “bad mom” were more words of frustration than they were words of fact.

 

With all that said, what does it take to be a good mom or, for that matter, a good dad? Actually, God talks a lot about being a good and godly parent throughout the Bible.  There are obvious jobs of a parent like providing for children and protecting them, and having compassion on one’s children.  (e.g. Matthew 7:10-11, Psalm 103:13).

 

However, there is one role for parents that God states again and again in Scripture.  A parent who follows the direction God gives teaches their children about God.  Perhaps the best known verse that shares this direction which God has for parents is found in Proverbs 22:6.  Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.  However, you can also find these instructions in Deuteronomy 6:1-7, Mark 10:13-15, Ephesians 6:4, and many other Bible verses.

 

Teaching children about God makes sense if you think about it.  Since God gives life and health, love and forgiveness, where else would I want to bring my children than to the presence of God?  Teaching children about God and His love for me in Jesus gives my child what I really want for them ; God’s love in this life and eternal life in heaven.

 

I share these thoughts on parenting because St. John is offering Vacation Bible School again this coming week, Monday, June 3 to Friday, June 7, from 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.  What a great help to parents as they seek to teach their children about God!  There will be singing, stories, crafts, games, and snacks at VBS.  I have heard many parents over the years say how much their children enjoyed the experience.  Some parents have told me how their children continue singing the songs they learn.  Friendships have been made that help children continue growing in Christian faith.  Vacation Bible School can really help a parent teach their children about God!

 

As a father, and now a grandfather, I know that many times I have come up short in what I would like to do as a father and for my children.  What a blessing to know that Almighty God cares about our children and wants them to live in his eternal love.  What a great opportunity to share God’s love with our children and grandchildren, bringing them to VBS!

 

I hope to see you, your children, and your grandchildren at VBS this coming week.

 

A Child of God, Seeking to be a Faithful Parent and Grandparent,

Pastor Jonathan

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment