Saturday, June 15, 2013

One Blessing that Does Not Change


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I’m thankful, but perhaps also a little confused.  I confess that I really enjoy this recent period of warm weather, but 3 ½ weeks ago there was snow in my yard and, from what I read, we had endured the longest winter on record.  From the first measurable snow in September, to the last measurable snow on May 18 was over 232 days.  But, even though I’ve only lived in Alaska 22 years, I don’t ever remember a warm streak like we are experiencing now where temperatures were this warm for this long.  So we went from the longest winter to the warmest summer in about a day.  That can be a little confusing.

 

Yes, after this past winter (and the recent previous cold summers) I AM thankful for the current string of warm days.  But the quick change and going from one extreme to another has me scratching my head.  I heard someone say on Friday, “It’s hard to know what’s coming next.”

 

In all honesty all of us realize that change is actually a constant in life.  We change physically.  The world around us changes.  Other people change.  Life circumstances change.  Not all change is bad.  But, even though we should be used to change, change it is often painful and difficult. 

 

For example, when economies change there can be upheaval which can hurt people financially.  When politicians and politics change stress levels can rise.  When relationships break up, families and friendships can be hurt.  We have had a number of deaths in our congregation earlier this year and people are still grieving.  Such change is difficult to endure.  Sometimes we just wish there was something we could count on.

 

So, as I was confused about the weather, I was also thankful for one blessing that is constant, God’s love in Jesus.  In Hebrews 13 we are told, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)  When finances go badly, or when relationships suffer, or when politics frustrate us, or when loved ones die, God’s love for us in Jesus always has been and always will be. 

 

The love of God was promised in the Old Testament by the Savior who would come.  The love of God took flesh when Jesus was born as the promised Messiah and lived as the Suffering Servant, dying for the sins of the world and rising again. God promises His eternal love in heaven to all who believe in Jesus as their Savior from sin.  The world around us may change.  We may be confused.  But we can build our lives on the love of God which never changes.

 

When we know that God’s love for us in Jesus does not change, we can face the surprises of life with praise for God and love for others, because we know that God who has loved us, continues His love in Jesus.  So, enjoy the beautiful weather.  It is a gift from God.  But know that when the weather changes, God’s love continues.

 

A Child of God, Confused but Thankful for the Recent Beautiful Weather,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

****

 

P.S.  The recent warm weather has allowed some fishing.  These were caught Thursday, June 13.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/5889730882076590593?banner=pwa

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment