Saturday, August 9, 2014

Beside Quiet Waters


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On a Monday evening in early June I took my daughter, Mary, fishing for king salmon on the Little Susitna River.  We did not catch any fish that day.  But I was excited to hear Mary’s reaction.  “I’d rather go fishing and catch fish.” she said, “But it is nice just to be out on the river.”  Yes it is.

 

In recent weeks I have taken other church members fishing for silver salmon and heard similar reactions.  On a sunny day in July Diana Christensen commented how beautiful it was to just be on the river.  Unfortunately sunny days are not always great for getting the salmon to bite, but the day was truly an enjoyable time outdoors with some of God’s fellow children.  I have also heard like-minded comments from David Heck and Dylan Larson, from Jim and Lara Stanley, and from Hunter Richards and friends.  There is something peaceful and heart filling about spending time outdoors in God’s created beauty. 

 

I have personally shared the same experience.  In fact, like Mary says, I really do enjoy catching fish. But just being on the river reminds me of Psalm 23.  David shares his God inspired praise of the Lord by saying, “1  The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  3 he restores my soul.” 

 

I find time outdoors to be soul restoring and a wonderful way to experience the creative love of God.  I have even heard those who may not be Christian praise the beauty of creation.  There is an order, a beauty, and a strength in nature that points to the person of God the Creator.  While I may find this love beside the quiet waters of a fishing steam, others experience God’s love through a hike in the mountains, or on a hunt in the woods, or by simply enjoying the beauty of the wild flowers.

 

But, God’s ‘salvation love’ is even more amazing than His ‘creation love.’  God’s love seen in creation is a gift from our heavenly Father that does restore our souls.  But, God’s love in Jesus is sacrificial.  In order to reach out and offer forgiveness to the world God sent His own Son away from home.  In order to offer eternal life God’s Son lived as the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for the sheep.  No one else has sacrificed so much, nor given so much.  But God loves us in this giving way in Jesus.

 

I hope you have had an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation this wonderful summer.  But, I pray that the beauty of God’s creative love points you even more to His sacrificial redeeming love.  The Lord IS my shepherd, and He laid down His very life for you and for me.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for a beautiful summer, and God’s Sacrificial Love,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I have updated these pictures from recent fishing trips with church members and friends with a couple more pictures.   https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6042629097376762289?banner=pwa

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’    I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment