Saturday, August 16, 2014

Love for "The Least of These"

Dear Fellow Children of God,

When was the last time you visited someone in a nursing home or an assisted living home?  Maybe you have a relative or a friend living in a home.  Often there is no choice for people but to live in such a place.  The person’s health may be such that it is difficult or even impossible to provide adequate care for them at home.  But, their situation is also such that they do not require the intensive care given in today’s hospitals. 

 

We actually have some true quality homes in our area.  In most places I visit staff genuinely care about their patients and provide good care.  Kathy and I found this to be true first hand after her mom’s leg was amputated in 1999.  After that Alice lived in a couple of assisted living homes and then in our local Pioneer Home, receiving excellent care.

 

But, even in the best situations nursing homes and assisted living homes can be lonely places.  Some elderly receive loving care from the home and also receive visits from family and friends.  But still they spend hours away from those they know and love.  Others live in places that are not the home where they lived their adult lives or raised their children, and they may seldom see someone they know.  It is a real act of love and mercy just to make a visit and spend time with someone in a nursing home or assisted living home.

 

I share this because of what I witnessed this past Wednesday.  It was an unusual day for a number of reasons.  First, I planned on that day to visit a large number of St. John members and friends who live in such a home or are homebound.  With many weddings in July I was behind on my visits and Wednesday was a day open for visits.  But, I had not planned on taking care of my oldest son’s two oldest children on that day.  Josh and Erin were working and the baby sitter was sick.  So I took care of Jake and Emma and took them with me on my visits. 

 

On Wednesday, along with my grandchildren, we visited 10 different people.  That’s quite a day!  As Jake and Emma entered each home they said “Hi” and shook hands with those we visited.  When we left they said “Good by” and shook hands again.  For the most part they watched and listened as I visited with our members, and as I read from Scripture, gave communion, and prayed. 

 

At one home we visited a member who is near death.  Jake and Emma asked why this lady could not talk and they bowed their heads and prayed with me as we prayed.  However, this member has a roommate who is very concerned about our member.  But this roommate does not have the family that our member has.  While I was reading and praying with our member my grand children visited with the roommate.  When we left they shook her hand.  But then as Jake left Emma turned around and gave her a hug.  Do you know what a hug from a little child can mean to a lonely, sick, elderly person who is living in an assisted living home?  I think I saw a tear in the lady’s eye as she told Emma after the hug, “That made my day.”

 

Jesus calls us to love all people as He has loved us.  That is quite a responsibility, especially considering that Jesus loved us by giving his life for us.  And, Jesus doesn’t just want us to care for those who care for us.  In Matthew 25 Jesus tells a parable of Judgment Day.  He told his disciples to love everyone.  In verse 40 Jesus says, “whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

 

In America today some of “the least” are those in nursing home s and assisted living homes who are often lonely as they face illness and the end of life.  It truly touched my heart to see my granddaughter pray for one elderly person, and then show love and compassion for another lady who was not expecting a hug.  I know it touched the heart of this lady.

 

Are there ways you can reach out to someone in need with the love God has given you?

 

A Child of God, Touched by God’s compassion shown by a child,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’    I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment