Saturday, November 8, 2014

"In Jesus' Loving Hands"


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

This week I have served as volunteer chaplain at Mat Su Regional Health Center.  I usually hand out a prayer card which shares Bible verses and prayers, if a patient would like one.  But on Friday, in room after room, I found myself sharing with patients a verse which was not on the card I handed out.  This verse spoke God’s love to difficult situations beyond the patient’s control.  In John 10, the Good Shepherd chapter, Jesus tells his disciples.  27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

Think of how comforting it is to be one of Jesus’ followers, one of his sheep.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

For the person facing surgery, or for the family facing imminent death, no one can snatch them out of my hand.”  For the person undergoing treatment for cancer or injury, “no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

This does not mean that in life we do not face trials and difficulties and injuries, even death.  In this world of sin and rebellion against our Creator, suffering and disappointment are only too common.  But Jesus is telling us that through life’s trials He is with us.  Even more than being with us, Jesus is lovingly holding us through the worst of times, and through the daily grind.

 

So on Friday, after visiting about 40-50 people in the hospital I visited 6 member of St. John in their homes.  These people are unable to get out on their own because of life’s trials in old age.  Actually, none of these people were angry or depressed.  Life had changed.  But when I shared Jesus’ words from John 10, these people already knew the comfort of these words.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

This past week elections were held in our country.  I do have a personal political affiliation and philosophy for how our country should be led.  But as pastor I don’t tell people how to vote.  First, I know what I think, but I have often been wrong.  So, as pastor I encourage people to consider what God says in Scripture and vote their conscience.  Yet, I have been voting in elections since 1971.  I have found that no matter who is elected, whether someone I voted for or their opponent, there are times that all politicians disappoint me in some way with their decisions.  I guess this shouldn’t surprise me.  We are all sinners.  Some leaders disappoint in small ways, some in important ways, some disappoint me in ways that cause me to worry for the future of our country.  What does a citizen do if they have voted, and been active for the good of their country, and things still go in a direction that concerns us?  I continue to act and then I trust God who says, 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

Life is often bigger than we are.  That fact does not take away our need to act responsibly, faithfully, and lovingly.  But, what a blessing to know that in our weakness God has us in His hands, now and eternally.

 

Friday night our family learned of a serious health concern for one of our family members.  It is a shock to go from health one moment to facing illness and possible death the next moment.  How does a person deal with these enormous ups and downs in life?  When I don’t have the answer myself I have learned to trust my Good Shepherd who tells us, 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

 

A Child of God, Finding Comfort in the Loving Hands of my Savior,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  As I go in for shoulder surgery this coming Wednesday, I also find comfort in the loving hands of Jesus.

 

****

 

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’    I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment