Tuesday, November 11, 2014

When Its Good NOT to Catch a Fish


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

So, if you have gone fishing, when is it good to not catch fish?  You might think there is never a good time not to catch fish.  But, my answer to this question is, “The time it is good to go fishing and not catch fish is when you get to teach your grandchildren about God.”

 

Friday was our grandson, Henry’s, 3rd birthday and there was a party on Saturday.  After talking with Henry’s dad I bought Henry an ice fishing pole, a tackle box with some hooks and bobbers, and an ice spoon (which he brought with him to church on Sunday).  Somehow on Monday I got to take Henry and his older brother and sister, Jake and Emma, fishing.  Go figure.

 

As we were driving north to the lake where we fished, I asked the kids, “Why do you think Poppy likes to go fishing?”  Jake and Emma answered, “Because you get meat.”  “Because you like to eat them.”  “Because it’s fun.”  I told them these were all good answers, but not the main reason I like to go fishing.  “Who made the mountains?” I asked.  “Who made the rivers and the lakes and the fish?”  Jake knew.  “God made them.”  I told Jake and Emma and Henry, “I like to go fishing because I like being outdoors.  God made the outdoors and when I’m outside fishing it teaches me about God.”

 

So Monday afternoon we went fishing.  There was about 10” of ice on the lake, but when you take care of a 6 year old, a 5 year old, and a 3 year old it can be hard to get much fishing done.  On the lake I baited four poles and drilled 4 holes.  Jake was missing his gloves and hat.  I fixed him up, but the wind was blowing.  Henry was hungry so I handed out snacks.  The kids splashed in the water and got a little wet.  Emma had to go to the bathroom.  Then Emma said she didn’t need to go.  The fish weren’t biting near our parking spot so I asked my grandchildren if they wanted to go across the lake.  But they all agreed they were cold and wanted to go home.  We packed up the auger, the poles, the bait, the food, the clothes and we walked to the truck.

 

On the way home I asked my grandchildren again, “Why does Poppy like to go fishing?”  Jake was quick to answer.  “You like the outdoors because God made it.”

 

Jake actually had learned a lesson we find in Scripture.  Creation around us teaches us about God.  Psalm 19:1 says, “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”  Creation tells us the glory of God our Creator.  Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-- his eternal power and divine nature-- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made. . . .”  The majesty and beauty of creation does teach us about God and his wisdom and power.  It IS a joy to spend time outdoors growing in the grace of God found in creation.

 

Actually, others have told me they enjoy the outdoors too.  Sometimes I have talked to people about God and worship and they tell me, “I don’t go to church.  I can worship God in the woods.”  So I have asked, “Do you?”  Usually I get a quizzical look so I ask again.  “Do you worship God in the woods?”  I seldom get an answer to the question. 

 

Imagine what the outdoors does tell us.  Monday we drove by a river rimmed by ice.  We fished below stark mountains capped with snow.  We walked on a beautiful lake covered with ice.  We saw a moose, an Eagle, and some other wildlife.  This beauty and the order and the diversity found in the world around us is not an accident.  God is the author of the beauty and order and diversity found in creation.

 

But there is more God does not teach us through nature, His saving love in Jesus.  We learn God’s grace in the word of God, especially in Jesus who is called ‘The Word of God.’  This undeserved love of God changes my attitude.  When I know God created all things I should worship Him.  When I know God’s sacrificial love for me in spite of my failings, I want to worship Him.  So I worship God to thank and praise Him that He loves and forgives a sinner like me though the gift of His Son, Jesus.  I worship, and God strengthens me to serve my Creator, my Shepherd,  and my Savior.

 

On Monday we didn’t catch any fish, so it really was the outdoors I enjoyed.  I think my grand kids enjoyed the outdoors with Poppy too, even though we did not catch a fish.  Actually, I also enjoyed time with my grandchildren.  So, usually you’ll find me on my Monday’s off fishing and talking to my Heavenly Father.  On Sundays you’ll find me in worship, thanking God that His love is not just in this created world, but eternally with God in heaven because of Jesus.

 

A Child of God, Grateful to Have Caught no Fish Last Monday,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is a picture of the crew, AFTER fishing.  We have poles, but no fish.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6080323093322306945?banner=pwa

 

P.P.S.  I’m sending this out early because of my shoulder surgery coming up tomorrow, November 12.

 

****

 

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’    I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment