Thursday, November 20, 2014

"What Jesus We Have in Friends!"


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Wow!  Have I had a LOT of help!  You probably know I had shoulder surgery last Wednesday, November 12.  I was told by the doctor and others about the coming regimen of recovery which would include a sling for 4-6 weeks, pain management, physical therapy, and no driving for a period of time.  Thankfully my recovery has not been as bad for myself as for some others. 

 

However, staying at home and not driving, even for a week, is a little tougher than I expected.  I have always been pretty active.  I like to think I can get things done to help share Jesus and His love with others.  I find joy in preaching, but last Sunday Pastor Allen filled in for me.  And Karl Kopperud and Gerry Zellar led worship the last two Wednesdays.  I like to teach, but Mary Jo Lentz and Temple Christiansen led our Wednesday Bible Class.  And Mary Rockey and Jim Summers taught Confirmation. 

 

Not driving is really tough, but Pastor George Rakos drove me to surgery.  My wife Kathy, Pete Probasco, Jerry Christiansen, Jim Summers, Herman Griese, and Gerry Zellar drove me to the doctor, to church, to Promise Keepers, and to multiple therapy appointments.  That doesn’t count the visits I received at home.  Nor does it count the offers to drive by the Odland and Grosz and Sutton families that I did not need to use.

 

Do you see all those names?  Perhaps with me you are amazed at how so many have helped me so much?

 

But, I confess, the same inner voice that makes me feel good about preaching and teaching and sharing the love of Jesus, sometimes makes me think twice about asking for help.  I like to help others.  I don’t always like to admit that I need help myself.  Yet, none of us makes it in life alone.  Where would we be without parents, or teachers, or family, or friends? 

 

But we actually need more help.  Our sin separates us from God and eternal life in heaven.  It is impossible for any of us to live the sinless life the Lord God demands.  So, Jesus Himself lived a life of love and obedience for us, so that His righteousness and His death could pay for our sins, and His rising could give us eternal life.  On our own we earn judgment.  By the help, by the saving love of Jesus, God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.  God forgives us and makes us righteous and saves us for eternal life in heaven.  Knowing how much we depend on God and on others, perhaps none of us should be hesitant to accept help.

 

This Sunday’s Gospel lesson is from Matthew 25:31-46.  Jesus talks about Judgment Day and how people live when they have faith in Jesus. In verse 41 Jesus says, “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”  There are two sides to a helping relationship.  One side is the person who is helping, and the other side is the person being helped.  How can someone serve Jesus if those in need will not allow us to help them?

 

Actually, I have been blessed to be helped by these fellow children of God and I have been blessed to spend time with these friends.  A bond develops when someone goes out of their way to fill in for you, or when someone takes time and spends gas money to take you places.  It is a blessing to realize you have friends as people give of themselves and share Jesus’ love.

 

A couple of months ago I heard missionary David Grosz talk about Christian outreach.  He said, “One of the ways to know ‘what a friend we have in Jesus’ is to experience ‘what a Jesus we have in friends.’”  I have been blessed by the love of Jesus through His followers who are my friends.  Thank you!

 

A Child of God, Blessed with Jesus’ Love by Friends.

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  My plan is to visit the doctor for a scheduled appointment on Friday and to hopefully start driving again on Saturday.


****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment