Saturday, December 13, 2014

I Saw God at Work Today


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Christmas is less than 2 weeks away.  As a child I could hardly control my excitement as Christmas day approached.  But, even as adults many continue to look forward to this celebration of the Savior’s birth.  Families gather at Christmas.  Worship is full of good news and joyful music.  We celebrate that in Jesus’ birth God has come to us in the middle of this troubled world, a blessing truly worth celebrating.

 

But, you don’t have to wait till Christmas to see to see God present in your life.  Yes, Jesus, the Son of God, did come to earth that first Christmas.  But Jesus’ promise is that He is with us “always, to the very end of the age.”  Let me share some events from my week, if not sharing names, to relate how I saw God in action this week in my life and in the lives of His people around me.

 

I saw reconciliation begin between people who had been separated, and God was in the middle of this reconciliation.

 

I saw more than one family begin a meal in prayer, and continue boisterously in love.  God was there in the loud laughter and heartfelt prayer.

 

I saw a man who had been in ICU, but was now home recovering well.  God was present in his recovery in answer to many prayers.

 

I saw a Christian woman of faith comforting another person who was grieving deeply.  God was there for the comforter, and He was there for the one grieving.

 

I saw a man who had been near death last week, greet me with a smile and gladly grab my hand.  God was there in mercy.

 

I saw a large number of God’s people gather around His word and praise Him for His love.  The Spirit of God was moving mightily in that worship service.

 

I saw the Talkeetna mountains shine brightly with the pink alpenglow of the mid December dusk.  God was displaying His handiwork.

 

I saw people reach out in love and donate about $2,000.00 to help the homeless in our valley.  God was the source of that love.

 

The Gospel writer Matthew tells of the coming birth of Jesus and quotes a prophecy from Isaiah to explain what God was doing.  21 She [Mary] will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:  23 ‘The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel--which means, God with us.’"

 

As Christmas arrives it is a joyful blessing to remember God’s coming to us in the birth of Mary’s Son, Jesus.  But, while we celebrate our Lord’s coming at Christmas, the good news from God through Jesus is that God is with us at all times.  He is with us in times of illness, and trial, and heartache.  He is with us in times of love in family situations.  God is with us in His creative care in the world around us.  He is with us in times of worship with fellow children of God. 

 

Jesus is Immanuel--which means, "God with us."  The birth of Jesus encourages us that God is with us in His guidance, His forgiveness, His love, and His salvation not just at Christmas, but all year long. 

 

Now, can you think of a time that you saw God acting in your life this past week?

 

 

A Child of God, Thankful that Jesus is “Immanuel”, and that God is always with us,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  The Offering at the Wednesday’s Community Advent Service was $1975.44.  This will be given to My House - MatSu.

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment