Saturday, December 20, 2014

Prayers of the Christmas Carols


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I have 2 Christmas questions for you.  First, what are your favorite sounds of Christmas? 

 

Do you enjoy the laughter of children?  I think everyone does.  Does the blanketing quiet of a new snow enchant you?  Some connect the jingling of bells with the Christmas season.  Personally, the music of Christmas speaks to my heart and lifts my spirit.  The traditional hymns and carols of Christmas bring good news and great joy in the familiar melodies that share the good will of the season.  Christmas music is my favorite Christmas sound.

 

Also, do you have a Christmas gift list?  I mentioned recently that our family exchanges lists to help each other with the giving of gifts.  However, when Kathy asked me this year for a list I told her, “I really don’t need anything.  I just want to worship God and be with family.” (Maybe that is a list of sorts.) 

 

However, on second thought I do have a Christmas list.  This list is really the requests or prayers found in Christmas music and prayed to God.  For example, do you know the ancient plainsong hymn, “O Come, O Come Emmanuel.”?  The fourth verse is a prayer which asks,

 

O come, Thou Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by Thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight

 

Yes, Lord, bring joy and life through Jesus, our Dayspring from on high.  I am thinking now of people facing death.  I pray the joy and eternal life of Jesus for them, and for all people.

 

Do you know the familiar carol, “O Little Town of Bethlehem.”?  The peaceful melody helps us pray the prayer of the fourth and final verse.

 

            O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;

            Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today. 

            We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell;

            O, come to us, abide with us, our Lord Immanuel!

 

Yes, Lord, Immanuel, cast out our sin and live in and with each of us.  Make us more like you!

 

Most people know the children’s cradle song, “Away in a Manger.”  The final verse of this Christmas carol teaches children to pray

 

Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask Thee to stay

            Close by me forever and love me, I pray.

            Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care

            And take us to heaven to lice with Thee there.
 

I pray this prayer for my children, even though they are grown.  I pray that Jesus would bless my grandchildren with His tender care and eternal life in heaven.  It is a Christmas request of mine that God would so bless all children with the knowledge of His love in Jesus.

 

Martin Luther wrote a Christmas song for his children, “From Heaven Above, To Earth I Come.”  This hymn has touched my heart since I was a child.  In the 13th verse of this song we hear the following prayer.

 

            O dearest Jesus, Holy Child, Prepare a bed, soft, undefiled,

            A quiet chamber in my heart, For you to dwell within my heart.

 

Jesus was born in a manger that first Christmas.  I do pray that my heart is prepared to receive Him this Christmas.

 

On the first Christmas the Shepherds heard one of the greatest concerts ever, as the angels of heaven praised God, singing, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." (Luke 2:14)  In a way that concert continues as we sing the praise of God and rejoice in His love through the music of Christmas. 

 

And, in the words of our Christmas carols and hymns you will find my Christmas list.  My Christmas list is a prayer for the joy, for the eternal life, for the presence of the Christ child in my life, in my children’s and grandchildren’s life, and in the lives of all people.

 

A Blessed Christmas, from one child of God to another,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  In our 8:00 and 10:00 p.m. Christmas Eve Candlelight worship we will sing and pray the Christmas prayers above as part of our worship.

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment