Friday, June 19, 2015

Some Scattered Thoughts about God's Changeless Love


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

As I write this devotion I am on vacation visiting with my family in Florida.  However, in the process of leaving Kathy and I had a hectic schedule.  We attended our church convention Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in Portland, then returned home for the Colony Days picnic on Saturday, and for Sunday morning worship, and then finally left for vacation on Sunday evening.  During this hectic time we spent parts of five days out of six on an airplane.  When I finally got to FL where most of my family lives I was tired, and cranky (I’m sorry), and my mind was a little scattered.  So, speaking with a scattered mind I have multiple thoughts this week instead of just one.

 

First, I was again impressed by the efforts of all the St. John members who planned the Colony Days Picnic, donated food, carried chairs and food, grilled burgers and hot dogs, served our guests, scooped ice cream, hosted, cleaned up, and generally gave of themselves to serve the Lord at the picnic last Saturday.  When we look at the food served we believe we fed about 1400 people.  But, from the standpoint of pastor of St. John it was a blessing to watch everyone working together!  As our Lord spoke to us through Paul, Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.” (Romans 12:4-5)  THANK YOU to all who served so willingly and faithfully.  The workers heard many offer thanks and your actions shared the love of Jesus.

 

Last Sunday afternoon, as I prepared to leave for vacation, I worked in my yard and my garden.  While outside I first heard sirens, and then I watched Forest Service planes fly overhead.  Since then all in the Mat Su know about the fire in the Willow area which has burned many acres and cost many their homes.  As I observed from FL two things struck me.  First, to go from a beautiful summer day on Saturday and Sunday to homes burning on Sunday and Monday and beyond, says how quickly life can change.  These events again remind me of how much we need the changeless love of God. (Psalm 46:1-2)  Second, I am amazed and thankful for the sacrificial efforts of those who put their lives on the line to fight fires for the good of others.  This time I know many of those who are fighting the fire.  I am praying for their safety and success and I encourage others to do the same. 

 

However, my heart goes from thankful admiration to horror and revolt when I see another shooting, this time in a South Carolina church.  I wish I had an answer.  This shooting is the exact opposite of how God calls His people to live.  Jesus said, "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)  It simply seems to me that the further our culture moves from the Lord who laid down His life for us, the more senseless acts of evil and violence we see.  Even from afar I grieve for the church and the families who lost loved ones to this violence.  How different our Lord is who, instead of taking life, laid down His own life for us!

 

Finally, I will spend Fathers’ Day this year with my dad for perhaps the first time in 25 years.  My dad is 87 and pretty healthy for someone in His late 80’s, which is a gift to all of us in the Rockey family.  Over the years, my dad has been an example to me and to our whole family of a man of faith and love who trusts the Lord through all of life’s changes and losses.  5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3, 5-6)  What a gift to their children a godly parent is!  Thank you, Dad!!

 

I pray that these “scattered” thoughts point you to the constant love of God,

 

A Child of God, Thankful for God’s Unchanging Love,

Pastor Jonathan

 


 

P.P.S.  Here are some pictures from the Colony Days / 80th Anniversary Parade and Picnic.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6160462664399200161?banner=pwa   Again, THANK YOU to coordinators Diana Christensen, Joe Ahrens, Barb Thomas, and ALL the volunteers!!

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment