Friday, September 2, 2016

God's Peace For Busy Lives


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Summer is supposed to be a time that our hectic lives slow down.  But, I’ll ask the somewhat sarcastic question I’ve heard others ask me.  “How is that working for you?”  Did summer really slow down?  Or, do your lives seem to be getting busier and busier, even when we are supposed to have down times?

 

For a number of years, with the encouragement and blessing of our Elders, I have tried to take two days off each week during the summer, instead of the one day off I take during the school year.  But, this year from the end of May through the end of June I managed only 3 days total when I had a whole day off during that five week period.  Does that sound familiar to you too?

 

During the third week in August we had friends visit who had arranged their trip months ago.  They wanted to go fishing and I actually took people fishing 3 days that week.  Still, when one of our Elders asked me on Sunday about my week, it turned out that I had appointments every evening that week which included various counseling sessions, a wedding, worship, an Elders’ meeting, jail worship, and a funeral.  These activities brought God’s presence and love to others.  But, when I was asked to share my schedule I was surprised at the amount of activity.

 

There are dangers in being too busy.  For one thing our busy-ness can get in the way of our time with God.  It is for a purpose that God says, “Remember the Sabbath Day by Keeping it holy.”  (Exodus 20:8)  Do you spend time each week in worship?  Do you spend time each day with our Lord in devotion and prayer?  We not only need time with our Lord and fellow believers in worship for our spirits, but our minds and our bodies also need rest.  The Sabbath is part of God’s original rhythm and plan for His people.

 

Another danger of our busy-ness is that we can fool ourselves into thinking that we are the ones accomplishing the good which happens in our lives.  Actually, God can and does use our efforts in His kingdom.  But, when good things happen it is God working, not us.  You know Romans 8:28  “ . . . in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

 

So, does it seem to you like our world and our lives are getting busier and busier?  It seems that way to me.  Maybe the growing world population causes need for more activity.  Perhaps our technology and the constant contact with the events of our world brings frenetic lives.  You probably know that many of us are affluent on a level seldom seen in the history of the world.  Our possessions require maintenance and care, and this care requires time and attention. Perhaps our many possessions are causing our busy schedules.  Or, maybe this busy-ness and stress exerts itself in our world as our world drifts further away from God and away from His plan for our lives.

 

But, our generation is not the only one who was busy.  We are told of Jesus in Mark 6:31, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’"  Jesus and His disciples were busy.  And, if you remember, Jesus was often criticized for healing on the Sabbath.  So, if Jesus was busy when He lived in this world, why should we be surprised when we are busy?

 

I have learned two practices based on what I read in God’s Word that help me deal with busy lives and with stress.  Maybe these habits can help you.  First, we are told to “Remember the Sabbath Day by Keeping it holy.”  So I schedule regular time with my Lord.  It is not just because I am a pastor that I worship regularly.  When we travel and I am not responsible for leading others in worship, Kathy and I still find a place to spend time listening to our Lord and praising Him with fellow children of God.  And, every day I try to start with Bible readings and prayer.  If you read the New Testament you will find that this time in prayer was the practice of Jesus.  I know that I need time with my Lord and Savior for my health.  So, one way I deal with stress is to make sure I spend time with Jesus.  Sometimes this time with Jesus pre-empts some of my other activities, and makes me a little less busy.  That helps.

 

But, even the best laid plans can fail.  So, I also remember the words of Philippians 4:7. “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Even when we plan time for worship and prayer time, our lives are still busy.  Remember Jesus.  But, in Jesus God gives us peace.  We have peace through His presence and His strength and His love for our lives.  We have peace as He forgives our sin.  In the middle of the busy-ness and stress of life, Jesus gives peace.  This peace of Jesus brings balm for my busy soul.  I pray the same for you.

 

Does the busy-ness of your life bring you stress?  Imagine how our Lord Jesus gives us direction that leads us to schedule time with Him.  Consider how, in our busy and stressful lives, God gives us peace in Jesus that transcends all understanding.  In Jesus God gives peace that guards our hearts and minds.  May God bless you with His presence and His peace.

 

A Child of God, Seeking Help with my Schedule and Peace in Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  This weekend I am in Albuquerque bringing God’s blessings to the wedding of JC Forrester and Rachel Bass.  What a blessing to bring God’s presence and peace to the marriage of this member of our St. John family who is serving us in the Air Force!  Please keep this wedding in prayer.

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment