Monday, September 19, 2016

Standing Firm In Faith in the Face of Opposition and Attack


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Does it seem to you like our world is going in the wrong direction, fast? 

 

I confess to being frustrated with the current presidential race.  I heard one commentator say, “People don’t want to vote for one of the candidates, and they are afraid to vote for the other one.”  Politics today seems to be more about character assassination than about issues of justice and community well-being.  This diminishing of the political process in our country discourages me.

 

Racial tensions are increasing leading to protests, and to riots, and even to the killing of policemen.  How many young men of color have been killed recently?  How many policemen have been ambushed and killed?  Why does the tension seem to be rising?

 

Drug crime seems to be increasing, especially crime in our area related to heroin.  I recently heard of a non-Alaskan resident who says that the heroin problem we have seems even worse than in the large city where they live permanently in the lower 48.  Individual lives, families, and victims of crime suffer the effects as our society is torn apart by the issues surrounding the illegal drug trade.

 

Churches and individual Christians are finding it more and more difficult to practice their faith.  Churches are struggling as needs increase, and resources seem to decrease.  Antagonism and disdain for people of faith is increasing in our society against Christians.  Those who study these issue say we live in a “post church era.”  Ask most pastors about the struggles of God’s church.

 

Does it seem to you like our world is going in the wrong direction, fast?  Does it seem like we might be at war?  The truth is that there is a war going on and this battle is nothing new.  Listen to what God inspired Paul to write in Ephesians 6:12-13.  12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”  There is a war being fought, and our enemy is the devil and his forces.

 

So, what can we do when the world around us seems to going in the wrong direction, fast?  How do we fight against such powerful forces of evil?

 

My plan is to do what God calls us to do in Ephesians 6:13. My plan is to stand in faith in my Lord, trusting in Jesus.  I plan to stand, doing the best a forgiven sinner can do to serve my Lord.  I plan to stand in faith and to help others as I can.  I plan to stand, and to share Jesus’s love with those around me.  My plan is not to give up because of the increasing trials God’s people face.  I plan to stand firm, to continue trusting my Lord and living for Him.

 

It is not that I am so courageous.  But, I know that our enemy has been defeated by my Lord, Jesus.  Jesus resisted all the attacks of Satan, and lived a life of obedience and love.  Jesus suffered and died to pay for my sins, and the sins of the whole world.  And, Jesus rose, winning victory over sin, and death, and Satan. 

 

So, I am not surprised by the direction our world is taking.  I’m disappointed and troubled, yes.  But, surprised, no.  God’s people have been facing this same enemy since the beginning of time.  But, since the resurrection of Jesus the defeat of Satan has been accomplished.  We are simply waiting for the final verdict against our enemy on the day of judgment.

 

Does it seem to you like our world is going in the wrong direction, fast?  If so, what is your plan?  My plan is to stand on the righteous life, the sacrificial death, and the victorious resurrection of my Lord Jesus.  How about you?

 

A Child of God, Facing the trials of our day, Standing on Jesus’ victory,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I sent this devotion out early, because I leave on Monday to go moose hunting.

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment