Friday, September 9, 2016

Praying for my Children to Walk in Faith and Truth


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

What do you want for your children?  That’s a loaded question, isn’t it?

 

Actually, as I prepare to teach Adult Sunday School this week, I have two classes as options for classes for people to choose from.  One class is the training class from the project for my doctoral thesis in relational evangelism.  You may remember the title of my thesis, “Fishing for Men While Fishing With Men.”  (It’s still available in the library at St. John.)  This training class I would teach in Sunday School is entitled, “Sharing Jesus in Recreational Settings.”

 

However, the other class I am offering to teach is called, “From the Heart of a Pastor.”  This class would allow me to share issues on my heart with those in my class.  (Actually, I would be glad to lead a study of God’s Word in topic suggested by class members as well.)  If the group chooses to study this subject the first class I have prepared to teach is entitled, “What Do You Want for Your Children?”

 

Actually, my wife has informed me more on this topic than maybe the other way around.  A number of years ago as we were sharing favorite Bible Verses with a group of fellow church workers and spouses, with tears in her eyes, Kathy shared 3 John 4.  I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.  I agree with Kathy!  (Smart husband!)  There is nothing that I desire more in this world than for my children to know the truth, to know Jesus.  There is nothing I desire more than for my children to know Jesus in this life, and to receive the gift of eternal life through faith in their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ in heaven.

 

So, what do you want for your children?  If you want the same thing as I do, for your children to know Jesus and to walk with Jesus, then this Sunday you have an opportunity to work toward your desire.  This Sunday, the first Sunday after Labor Day, Sunday School starts its regular school year schedule.  There are classes for people of all ages.  Yes, there are classes for those as young as new born (though, they probably start really learning at age 18 months) to those who are among the oldest in our congregation.

 

You see, God has given us His Word to help us to grow in knowledge, to grow in faith, to grow in our relationship with Jesus, to grow in God’s truth.  Many Bible verses include God’s promises that He creates and strengthen faith through His Word.  (See, for example, Psalm 119:11, Proverbs 22:6, Isaiah 55:10-11, John 20:30-31, Romans 10:17, 2 Timothy 3:14-17, and 1 Peter 1:23.)  So, when children are given the opportunity to learn about God, and given resources to combat the messages from the world around us, through a time of group learning and reflection, then children are being strengthened for faith in Jesus.  I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

 

But, Sunday School is not just for children.  None of us knows everything we need to know about God.  Every adult could and should be learning and growing in faith.  We especially need this growth as our faith in Jesus is tested on a daily basis. 

 

And, children are like adults.  Sometimes children learn what they are told.  But, more often children learn what they see.  If children see their parents or grandparents teaching a class, or see their parents or grandparents attending a class, then they learn from this example that learning from God’s Word is important for the adults in their lives.  They are more likely to think that learning about Jesus is important for them too.

 

Perhaps you know that last weekend I was in Albuquerque to perform the wedding ceremony for JC and Rachel Forrester.  JC is a captain in the US Air Force.  But, JC attended Sunday School as a child at St. John.  He also was regular in Confirmation classes, and even served as a Lay Minister.  Kathy and I were both impressed and thankful for the privilege of participating in this ceremony.  JC, whom we have known and loved his whole life, has found a wonderful Christian woman to share his life with.  We are proud of him.  Maybe even for those who are friends of our children the same is true.  I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

 

Don’t forget, Sunday School begins this week for children, AND for Adults.  I pray you take the opportunity to grow in your walk with Jesus.

 

A Child of God, Praying for My Children to Walk in Faith and Truth,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  One joy I can share is that 3 of our classes this year are being taught by young adults in our congregation.  These three young people grew up at St. John and are now sharing their faith by teaching.  The classes are:

·      James – this class is taught by Hunter Richards in the Northeast Fellowship Hall.

·      High School Class – This class is taught by Mary Rockey in the Portable building in the parking lot.

·      Middle School Class – This class is taught by Taylor Berberich in the church library.

 

P.P.S.  Here are some pictures from the wedding of JC and Rachel Forrester last weekend in Albuquerque, NM.  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO6xGNdjW10mbHUVEcaqYtdZdw8gm7wnbwCrOlYeL3QmHWszysXq1V0Ena1iI2ZhA?key=aHJ0MlFIaGlSemJyN0lscUtoWjJoT1ZJLXFNVVNB

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment