Wednesday, May 24, 2017

He Restores My Soul


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,.

 

How did you spend your Monday?  Mondays are my day off and last Monday, May 22, I let the Lord “restore my soul.”  I went fishing!  Now those who know me are not surprised about this trip.  In fact, some may have been surprised if I had not gone fishing on a Monday.  But, I put my boat in the water for the first time in 2017 at the Little Susitna River and was blessed by the day.

 

Actually, this was more of a “get ready for the fishing season trip” than primarily a fishing trip.  On May 15 I prepared my boat for the season with an oil change, greasing the motor, and cleaning the boat inside and out.  So, on May 22, after a long weekend, I didn’t rush to the river.  First I spent time eating breakfast and reading my devotions, arriving at the river at a leisurely 7:30 a.m.  At the welcome booth I negotiated and paid for a pass for the coming year.  This full year pass will pay benefits this summer.  Then it took me a while to get my poles put together, with lures and set-ups the way I wanted, and to comply with this year’s fishing regulations.  After launching the boat I went upstream to my first regular fishing hole.  The idea was that, since I was upstream, if I had boat issues I could still float downstream to the landing.

 

The boat worked well and I anchored above the fishing hole.  However, then I worked some more on my various poles.  I would fish one pole with a certain kind of set up until the lure was working.  Then I tried another, and another.  I took time to adjust the drag on the reels and position my rod holders. I worked with the anchor line.  All this may seem to some more like puttering around than actually fishing.  But, having this equipment working will allow me to take others out later this year and not require spending fishing time on preparations when my guests want to be fishing.  And, there is a kind of peace that comes from being able to do things right without being rushed.

 

As I sat in the boat fishing the first hole, I watched an eagle fly overhead.  A sandhill crane also bleated out as it passed above.  Even the sound of the water gently gurgling as it passed under my boat was calming and peaceful.

 

After about an hour of preparation in this first spot, and a little fishing, I then motored downstream and did some real fishing in four different holes.  I didn’t actually see any fish or get any bites.  But, even though I’ve had bites on a charter fishing trip at this time of year, I’ve never caught a king salmon this early.  I did, however, see two guides fishing with clients.  I consider it a privilege to know local fishing guide, Andy Couch, and I was able to talk with him a couple of times as he was guiding some clients.

 

I went down to the last hole I fished, a place I had actually caught fish before, and fished for about 45 minutes.  There were no bites, but the sound of the water was calming.  At this hole a pair of eagles circled my boat.  I saw another sandhill fly above me, stretching its neck toward its destination.  And, I relaxed. 

 

Both Saturday and Sunday I had been at church activities beginning at 7:30 a.m. lasting long into the day and night.  These long days followed a full week of work.  But, while fishing there was little to distract my attention.  Perhaps it was also good there was no cell phone reception.  I had time to unwind.  A few concerns came to mind about church members, which allowed me to pray for them, unhurried.  I even listened to some soft music for a while.

 

After feeling I had given my fishing a good effort, I motored back upriver, talking again with Andy.  The trip was peaceful, and I made it home in time to help my wife with some tasks and to see some friends.  Some may think a fishing trip where no fish are caught is a waste of time or a disappointment.  But, I believe the words of Psalm 23.

 

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  (Psalm 23:1-2)

 

I know that in Psalm 23 the “quiet waters” do not just speak of a gurgling brook.  Such “quiet waters” actually allow the sheep of a shepherd to drink.  But, as a sheep of my Lord, I was on the river, besides the still waters, enjoying the Creation blessings of the one who is my Good Shepherd, Jesus.  And God spoke to me in the peace and calm, restoring my soul, so that I can praise my God and serve His people.

 

We all need some quiet time with our Lord.  Where do you go to be alone with Jesus?

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Quiet Time Beside Still Waters, Restoring my Soul!

Pastor Rockey


 

P.S.    Henry David Thomas was baptized in late worship on Sunday, May 21.  Here are some pictures.



 

P.P.S.  Here is a picture as I was launching my boat on the first salmon fishing trip of the year.  https://goo.gl/photos/T5U4BkZTeFPLaJpW7

 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment