Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Thankful for my Mom who Believed in Jesus


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

Kathy and I have just returned from vacation in Florida.  My family has lived in or near the Gainesville area since 1965.  So while in Florida we got to spend time with and enjoy many activities with family members.  Almost daily we spent time with my dad.  I saw all 3 brothers and my sister and their families.  We were present for a graduation and in times of medical treatment.  We saw nieces and nephews.  Kathy and I returned home feeling blessed and thankful for our family.

 

On Saturday, May 6, we were at a larger family gathering where 16 people shared a picnic meal and just enjoyed time together.  I heard my sister or one of my sisters-in-law say, “Mom would be happy.  She liked it when family got together.”  My mom has been in heaven since January of 2011, but we still remember her love for her family, and we still remember her in times like this.  You should have seen my mom’s face light up when everyone was at their home for Christmas, or other big events.

 

I would go a step further to share about another mom I know quite well, my wife, Kathy.  Kathy also really enjoys it when family is together.  But I think that, even more than enjoying time together in our home, Kathy especially cherishes times when all of her children and grandchildren are together with her in worship.  I can see the beaming smile on her face, and sometimes catch a tear of joy in her eyes.  My wife loves her children and grandchildren, and prays God’s blessings for them regularly.  To share that love of God with family is a real treat.

 

This Sunday is Mothers’ Day.  We will talk in worship about Timothy’s mom and grandmother, Eunice and Lois.  As we read Paul’s second letter to young Pastor Timothy, we hear this word of encouragement from Paul to Timothy.  5 I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.”  (2 Timothy 1:5-6)  Notice that Timothy’s faith in Jesus first lived in Lois and Eunice and was passed down to him from his grandmother and his mother.  There is no greater love mothers share than when they share God’s eternal love in Jesus. 

 

Later in this same book Paul further encourages Timothy, “14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it,  15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”  (2 Timothy 3:14-15)

 

Paul is not only here encouraging Timothy to continue in faith, but also encouraging him to remember his grandmother and his mother who taught him about Jesus.  Their purpose, and Paul’s goal, is that Timothy was saved for eternal life in heaven through faith in God’s Son, our Savior, Jesus.

 

Christian faith is precious because God uses faith to give us the eternal blessings He won for us in Jesus’ dying and rising.  But, trusting in God’s love in a world of hate and selfishness and violence is difficult.  We need help to believe.  That is why God gives us His Word (read further in 2 Timothy 3), the Sacraments, and His Church.  Trusting in God’s love is difficult.  We need help to believe.  So God gives mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, committed Christians and friends who share how God has been with them through difficult times so that we can also trust God when trusting is tough.

 

Do you have a mother who shared Jesus with you?  Thank God for this wonderful gift, and let your mom know how much you appreciate her if she is still alive. 

 

Are you a mom or a grandmother?  Take time to share God’s amazing love with your children and grandchildren as you are able.

 

Last Sunday Kathy and I were in worship with my dad at First Lutheran Church where I had grown up.  He sits in the back of the church because he says, “Sometimes other family comes to worship.  So if I sit here they can sit with me.”  We were in line for communion when we had a pleasant surprise.  My dad’s granddaughter, and our niece, Sarah, whom we had not yet seen, stepped out of the cry room into line with us so we could take the Lord’s Supper together.  She had her son Nathan and daughter Abigail with her.  I confess that my eyes got misty as together we shared together in receiving God’s love and forgiveness.  I think I can speak to Sarah and repeat Paul’s words to Timothy, only with other names.  5 I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother [Betty] and in your mother [Jan] and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you . . .”

 

May God bless those in your family with saving faith in Jesus.  And. may you be reminded of mothers and grandmothers, fathers and grandfathers, and other faithful Christians who have shared Jesus with you.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for a Mom Who Believed in Jesus,

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.    Here are some more pictures from our time with family in Florida.  https://goo.gl/photos/sY1HDrb1d1jS79G87

 

P.P.S.  While “Thoughts from the Pastor” is primarily intended for the members and friends of St. John, it has also been printed weekly in our local newspaper, The Frontiersman, for almost 6 years.  The Frontiersman has recently had changes.  In order for this week’s devotion to get in this week’s paper, I am attempting to get these devotions out at the beginning of each week to make a new Wednesday deadline.  So, you are receiving this message a little earlier this week, and hopefully in the future.

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment