Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Encouraging Confirmation Students, and My Grandson, to "Choose Church!"

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On Sunday, May 22, five young people will be confirmed at St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, Alaska.  Our Lord called these children of God in their baptisms to faith, to forgiveness, and to salvation through Jesus.  These students have studied through 3 years of confirmation classes.  Their class instruction included lessons on the stories of the Old and New Testaments, and included a year of summary of the Christian faith as found in Luther’s Small Catechism. Their class instruction studied for a year about living as a child of God.  Having been baptized, and having been instructed, these young people now have the opportunity to commit themselves to God. 

 

This commitment by these students is an important response to the grace and truth which God offers each of us.  Jesus taught his disciples about His call to follow Him, 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. 32 "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.”  (Matthew 10:29-33)  Jesus assures us of His constant love, and Jesus, therefore, calls us to publicly acknowledge that we know His love, and to publicly acknowledge that we have heard His call of grace.

 

Therefore, this Sunday in front of their congregation, these confirmation students will respond to questions, confessing their faith.  They will be asked (in these words or similar words):

  • Do you believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit?
  • Do you renounce the devil, and all his works and all his ways?
  • Do you want to serve God with your life?
  • Do you intend to serve Your Lord in His church?
  • Will you support the work of the Lord in the church?

 

I responded to these questions 55 years ago on my confirmation day, March 27, 1967.  As I made those promises, I truly intended to serve the Lord with my life.  That is still my intent because I know and believe in God’s undeserved love and grace in my life.  But, I will never forget the words of love and encouragement from my grandfather who was present on my Confirmation day.  Grampy, as I called him, came up to me, put his hand on my shoulder, and told me, “I hope you do a better job with your vows than I did.”  I am still shocked by the confession that is implied in my grandfather’s words of encouragement.  I knew him as a man of faith who worshiped regularly, who served in the church, and who encouraged his family toward faith in Jesus.  Yet Grampy knew of times when he wished he had done better.  What surprises me is that, even today, my grandfather’s faith and encouragement is still one of the most important influences in my walk with Jesus.  Because, in retrospect, I now understand many of my own failures, I can therefore understand my grandfather’s confession, and His need for the grace and salvation that comes through faith in Jesus.

 

St. John Lutheran Church is currently working through the devotional book, “The Being Challenge.”  The challenge for our walk with Jesus which begins on Sunday, May 22, is “Choose Church.”  What wisdom!  Because Jesus has loved us, because he has died to forgive us, and because Jesus has risen to offer us eternal life, we want to worship Him regularly with His people in church.  However, we still struggle with the desires and temptations of our sinful nature. We need help which Jesus offers through His church.  Listen to the words of Hebrews 10.  23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”  (Hebrews 10:23-25)  We may not always “hold unswervingly” to our faith, but God is faithful.  He gives us the gift of worship and fellowship in our congregations to “spur us on to love and good deeds.”  He gives us fellow Christians to “encourage one another” to faith in Jesus.  Therefore, we do not want to “give up meeting together.”  We WANT to “Choose Church.”

 

I am thankful for the Scriptural encouragement of “The Being Challenge” book.  I am thankful and blessed that these 5 8th grade students have received God’s grace in baptism, and now respond by promising to serve our Lord and His Church with their lives.  The timing for Confirmation Day seems perfect to me.  As we struggle in our walk with Jesus, He helps us through His Word, through the Sacraments, through His Church. 

 

All these students are special.  But, as I mentioned last week, one of those making these vows is my grandson, Jake.  Jake, I can share with you that I have tried to do MY best to keep my vows, but I have still failed my Lord at times.  Therefore, I want to encourage you by echoing the words of my Grampy. Jake, “I hope you do a better job with your vows than I did.”  Our Lord gives you His church to help your walk as a Child of God.  So, in order to choose Jesus, “Choose Church.”

 

A Child of God, Encouraging Confirmation Students, and My Grandson, to ‘Choose Church!’

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I returned home in Alaska from Florida last Tuesday morning.  We have spent the last week opening a mountain of mail, and we spent time getting our house and yard ready for the Alaska summer.  There was no fishing this past week, but . . . my boat IS now ready to go!

 

P.P.S.  This March I shared these pictures from my confirmation day.  But here they are again, including pictures of my dad, my grandfather, my pastor, and another important mentor.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbQhq7G86zsZuDsA7

 

 

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)


No comments:

Post a Comment