Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Thankful That in Jesus "Good-Bye" is Not Forever!"


Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Does saying “Good Bye” bring sadness to your heart?  I’m not talking about wishing someone “good bye” at work or at school, someone you expect to see again tomorrow.  Does it cause you sadness to bid farewell to someone about whom you truly care, knowing that it may be a long time till you see them again, if you ever do see them again in this world?

 

So, how about you?  Does saying “Good Bye” bring sadness to your heart?  I’m sure everyone has left a loved one or friend not knowing if they’ll see each other again.  For example, when I was 12 our family moved from Massachusetts to Florida. I left behind grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins. We left our church and other good friends.  That move at a young age was somewhat confusing, if also a new adventure.  But it meant saying “good bye,” and some of those people I cared for I never did see again.

 

Perhaps the first time I realized my sadness at saying “good bye” was when I left home for college.  Yes, I left family. But I also had a strong support system of friends, some of whom were also going away to college.  When would we see each other again?  Would we?

 

During our marriage, Kathy and I have served churches in four different cities.  In each place and congregation we loved the people.  But, as we followed the Lord’s call to new churches, we said “good bye” and left behind people we cared about.  One of those moves was 5000 miles from Florida to Alaska. As we drove across country we visited dear relatives. Every place we left people cried.  It was hard to be excited about going to our new home.  But, as our family traveled toward God’s new adventure for us, we did say “good bye” to these loved ones, at least for a time.  And, some were called to heaven before we saw them again.  I think you’re getting the picture.

 

We are currently in Florida with many members of my family.  When we left Alaska in January for Florida we said “good bye” to our children, our grandchildren, our congregation, and Alaska friends.  I was sad to leave.  They probably could have convinced me to stay.  But now that we are leaving Gainesville to return home again to Alaska, our family and friends in Florida are telling us they wish we could stay.  Saying “good bye” may seem like a little thing.  But when you care about people it can be sad.

 

On Tuesday, May 3, because the pastor in our Florida congregation has COVID, I conducted a funeral for a lady whom I’ve known for over 50 years.  Her husband, children and grandchildren, her brother and nieces said “good bye” to her.  This is a different kind of farewell.  They will not see her again in this life.  But . . . THANKS be to God for eternal life in heaven!

 

Early in life, as I struggled with saying “good bye”, I came to realize that “good bye” is just part of life in this sinful world.  Because of our sin, and because of the rebellion against God in the world around us, we live in a world of pain, death, and suffering.  Thankfully, Jesus, the Son of God, died for our sins and rose to offer eternal life to all through faith in him.  Please consider this good news from God.  For example, during Tuesday’s memorial service we heard God’s word from Psalm 23.  Verse 6 of that Psalm assures us, I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” It does not say, “I’ll visit God.”  Psalm 23 doesn’t tell us, “I’ll get to live with God for a short time.” Our Lord assures us I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

John 3:16 is great news God shared with Nicodemus.  To this searching religious leader Jesus asserts "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  Life in heaven does not have an end, as life does in this world.  Life with God is eternal!  The readings assigned for worship on May 8 tell of the joy and glory of God’s people in heaven.  You might want to read Revelation 7:9-17 on your own.

 

Please meditate on this good news.  Life in heaven is everlasting.  I don’t know exactly what relationships will be like in the next life. God knows!  However, I do know from God’s word that in heaven there is no death.  I can spend time with people I love, and have eternity to return and spend more time, and to spend more time.  I never have to say “good bye”, sad that I’ll never see that person again. And, even more good news, in heaven we get to see again those we love, who believe in Jesus, to whom we have said “good bye” in this life.  That is why Christians can say  “good bye” to loved ones in hope, because in Jesus, God gives eternal life in heaven.

 

On May 6 and 7 I am attending the 50 year reunion of my 1971 high school class, a year late because of COVID-19.  We had a big class of over 960 students, and when Kathy and I attended the 45 year reunion in 2016 there was a list of the 88 classmates who had died before that event.  Some of those were good friends, people with whom I spent time and with whom I even worshiped our Lord.  In the last 6 years more friends have passed on. 

 

“Good bye” is difficult when you care about someone.  But, God assures us, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  For children of Jesus, “good bye” is not forever.  That is really good Easter news!

 

A Child of God, Thankful That in Jesus “Good-Bye” is not forever!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I did host a fish fry for family, friends, neighbors and others, using the fish I have caught since January.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mnfpc7KpAPp5UKSXA

 

P.P.S.  As we are preparing to leave Florida for Alaska, our tomato plants are finally bearing.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1zMknKvtaxyuJgm9

 

P.P.P.S. I also did go fishing this past week. On Friday, April 29, I took a last chance to go shopping / fishing FOR the fish fry.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/1zf4hL25XCa9Rw3p9

 

P.P.P.P.S. Here is the Second Reading assigned for worship this Sunday, Revelation 7:9-17.  Look at how many are in heaven, people there by the grace of God, the blood of the Lamb.  Look at the comfort and love of God and their everlasting joy!  I will be preaching on this lesson on Sunday.

9 After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." 11 All the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying: "Amen! Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever. Amen!"

13 Then one of the elders asked me, "These in white robes-- who are they, and where did they come from?" 14 I answered, "Sir, you know." And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore, "they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. 16 Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. 17 For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment