Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Praying for Faithful Shepherds for Christian Congregations!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

In recent months I have been thinking about and praying for congregations who are looking for a new permanent pastor, or shepherd.  Jesus tells us, I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11).  Jesus is ultimately the one who guides, and protects, and cares for God’s people, His sheep.  His greatest care comes as He lays down His life to forgive us and save us.  However, the word “pastor” means shepherd.  Jesus may be THE good shepherd, but he commands Peter, “Feed My lambs. . . Tend my sheep . . . Feed my sheep.” (John 21:15-17) Pastors are God’s plan to care for His flock in this world.  So, what happens when a congregation, a flock of God’s people, are without a shepherd or pastor? 

 

My former congregation, St. John Lutheran in Palmer, Alaska, was without a permanent pastor for 3 ½ years after I retired.  Thankfully, Pastor Jeremy Davis has been shepherding God’s people there since January 2023.  Since retirement, when Kathy and I would visit family in Florida, we have attended the congregation where I grew up in Gainesville, First Lutheran Church.  But, this summer their pastor for the last 9+ years took a call to serve elsewhere.  They are now praying for and working to find a permanent shepherd.  In addition, having lived in Alaska for 32 years, I have worked with many of the congregations there.  On August 6 Pastor Dustin Atkinson of Star of the North Lutheran Church in Kenai announced that he would be leaving to serve in Colorado.  I know and care for God’s people in Kenai.  They too are now in need of a pastor.  Now you know why In recent months I have been thinking about and praying for congregations who are looking for new permanent pastors, or shepherd.” 

 

With this in mind, my devotional Scripture readings on Wednesday, September 20, caught my eye.  In 2 Chronicles 29 Hezekiah is seeking to repair the temple and renew faithful worship in the kingdom of Israel.  During Moses’ time God appointed the tribe of Levi as priests and temple workers.  So Hezekiah calls them and directs them, My sons, do not now be negligent, for the LORD has chosen you to stand in his presence, to minister to him and to be his ministers and make offerings to him." (2 Chronicles 29:11)  Hezekiah knows where to turn, to the people whom GOD chose.  In addition, the Levites had reason to respond.  Indeed history shows God called them to serve and to bring God’s love to His people.

 

There is an important lesson in this verse, a lesson churches and congregations often forget today.  We rightfully go about the task of finding a new shepherd with faithful concern for Jesus and His church.  But, if we treat finding a new pastor as a ‘job search,’ if we are asking, “Who are WE going to hire?” then we are forgetting who chooses the shepherds. the LORD has chosen you to stand in his presence, to minister to him and to be his ministers and make offerings to him."

 

If we take this verse (and many others in Scripture) seriously, then our pastors are not the people WE find.  We want them to be the shepherd GOD chose.  This mean the process of finding these new leaders calls for prayer, and faith, humility and patience.  But, when God leads us to the person He HIMSELF chose, well then we have the leader we need. 

 

As an aside, like many other jobs, professions, and areas of service, there is a shortage now of pastors, and that shortage is growing worse.  We need committed Christians and young people to seriously consider serving God and His church in ministry.

 

What a blessing to have The Good Shepherd, who sees caring for the people of God so important that “The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”  What a blessing for congregations to know that God has chosen a shepherd for them.  That is why I am praying for these churches; that they find the pastors God has already chosen for them.

 

A Child of God, Praying for Faithful Shepherds for Christian Congregations!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I began working as Vacancy Pastor at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, Florida, on Wednesday, September 13.  I will be working Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sunday.  So, I won’t be fishing and golfing quite as much as during previous times of retirement.

 

P.P.S.  However, I did still find time to go fishing two times this past week.

·       On Friday, September 15, I went fishing for the first time in Florida. I went to Orange Lake.  My first bite was a big one, a 21 ½” 6 pound largemouth bass.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/3kjP3ZRVaGXXeq3j6  

 

·       On Saturday, September 16, I went fishing on the Suwannee River.  It was really hot and I didn’t get many bites.  But, I saw gators and caught 1 bass.  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/KjRF4qwFuCZ7xpQ8A

 

P.P.P.S.  FOR YOUR CALENDAR in October 2024:  I was asked to serve for 2 weeks at the Wittenberg English Ministry in Wittenberg Germany.  I tentatively agreed to serve there and to lead worship October 17-31 (Reformation Day), 2024.  MAYBE you want to come over to Germany at that time???  J

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior  full-time pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

        Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment