Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Thankful For Loving Examples of Faith, Praying That God Uses Me!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

A number of years ago one of the best high school friends of our son, Andrew, David Bower, called Kathy on Mother’s Day.  David told Kathy, “It took a lot of moms to raise me, and you were one of them.  Thank you!” This week brought to my mind and heart the blessings of those men who helped to give me direction and who helped raise me.

 

Facebook reminded me last Friday, September 22, that it was my dad’s birth date.  He would have been 96 if he still lived.  I admit, as a teenager my dad and I had what you might call, “differences of opinion.”  But, as a Christian adult. I am so thankful that my dad was a hard worker, that he loved and provided for his family.  I am especially thankful my dad believed in Jesus and lived his faith.  He led by bringing his family to church, and he led by serving.  Jesus was part of our home.  My dad, this man of integrity, was not a man of many words, but his actions of faith and obedience shouted that Jesus was his Lord and Savior.  Thank you, Dad!

 

Then, two days later, on September 24, First Lutheran Church in Gainesville honored their long time pastor, Bob Besalski, and his family by dedicating and renaming the church fellowship hall as The Besalski Fellowship Hall.  There are many reasons why First Lutheran made the right choice in honoring the man who was their shepherd for 34 years.  But for me, Pastor Bob was another dad.  As a young man, and as a pastor, he took me under his wings.  He encouraged me.  Bob listened to me.  As a young man he gave me opportunities to serve at First Lutheran.  He loved me like another father.  I know I was not the only young pastor Bob encouraged.  I do know his love and mentorship made a difference in my life.

 

Have you ever considered the importance of faithful adult examples and mentors?  In the early 1990’s, when the Promise Keepers movement began one of the seven promises of a Promise Keeper including encouraging young men toward faithful lives of Christian living.  We can go back further to find truth concerning the importance of good parents and examples for the lives and the faith of God’s children.  The scripture is full of such teaching whether in the Old Testament, (e.g. 1 Samuel 1 and 2, Psalm 103:13, Proverbs 22:6) on in the New Testament (e.g. Matthew 7:9-11, Mark 5:22 ff, Ephesians 6:4, Hebrews 11, Hebrews 12:7).  In many of these verses earthly parents and mentors are compared to the greater love we receive from our Heavenly Father. 

 

One of the most poignant examples of such teaching of the faith for a young person is found in Timothy.  Paul shows the heart of a spiritual father and he reminds Timothy of the faithful example of his mother and grandmother in 2 Timothy 1:4-7.  4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”  Do you hear how Timothy’s faith in Jesus, his Savior, was nurtured and encouraged by a whole group of faithful people?

 

As the Promise Keepers book pointed out, having a Christian parent, mentor, or friend is helpful and important.  Unfortunately, as our world grows further and further from their Creator and Savior, and Comforter, many do not have such godly examples and encouragers. But, even if we did not have such an example of faith, as we discover the unbelievable love of our Heavenly Father, who gave His Son to die for us, to save us, how can we not want to share that love with our children, and with the young people in our lives?

 

What if I did not have a Christian example and encourager?  We can BE one!  It’s never too late for us to share Jesus with our children or those young people around us.  As we grow in believing in God’s grace for us, and as we put our faith into action, we too can teach and encourage.  And remember, actions and example speak louder than words.  My dad shared his faith by his life!  That is also what Pastor Besalski did for me.

 

About 25 years ago a Christian friend, Dave Anderson, introduced me to a song I had not known.  The song is “Find Us Faithful”, by Jon Mohr and Steve Green.  The chorus of this song goes like this.

Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful,

May the fire of our devotion light their way.

May the footprints that we leave lead them to believe,

And the lives we live inspire them to obey.

Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful.

           

I am thankful that my Lord put godly examples and encouragers of faith into my life.  I am truly blessed!  I pray that, in spite of my weaknesses and failings, the Lord will use me to encourage others to know the love God gives us in Jesus, and to live in that love.

 

A Child of God, Thankful For Loving Examples of Faith, Praying That God Uses Me!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S. Sunday, September 24 was a big day at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, Florida.

·       First Lutheran dedicated the fellowship hall to the glory of God, and in honor of Bob and Elaine Besalski.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pPY1kX93tvAi6VUs5

 

·       Another highlight of the day was that I was installed as vacancy pastor of First Lutheran Church in Gainesville by District President James Rockey, who just happens to be my youngest brother.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/MgUkHWxkqDu6GUsE8

 

P.P.S.  Here is an album of pictures of my dad, Robert E. Rockey, a man of faith.  I put this album online when he was gathered to his heavenly home in 2018.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/J4LjF4SRk2csw1NY6

 

P.P.P.S.  Here is a video of Steve Green singing “Find Us Faithful.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKT5BCmvmq0

 

 

P.P.P.P.S.  It was a busy week and, while I did golf twice, I did not make it fishing.  L

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

        Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

 

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment