Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Finding Hope in a Hopeless World, Because of Jesus!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

I have had about a week and a half to take it easy.  I took time to moose hunt with my son-in-law and daughter.  Therefore, I was not in worship on September 6.  Yet, that hunting trip did not last as long as I expected.  I had also been asked to preach at my former congregation, St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, for Stephen Ministry Sunday.  That kept me busy on September 13.  There was also a pastors’ conference which was scheduled for September 15 and 16, but didn’t work out.  So, I have spent much of the last two weeks at home, working on chores.  I spent time harvesting in the garden, and I transplanted some currant bushes.  I pressure-washed the back deck, and cooked a few meals.  I had a couple of other opportunities which materialized, and then disappeared.  While I have not been idle, I did get some down time. Kathy says, “It’s nice to have you at home doing things here.”  Rest is a gift of God. (Psalm 127:1) 

 

While working around the house I noticed a seemingly small thing which nevertheless provided me with a message of hope.  I have planted apple trees along the east side of our yard.  I have pictures from past years of the trees hanging low because of the heavy load of apples.  However, in the winter of 2023, when we had large amounts of snow, the moose were hungry, and they ate the bark all around my apple trees.  The trees died above the bark damage.  I planted 2 more trees.  But, responding to advice by Extension Agent, Steve Brown, I also tried grafting some branches on the damaged trees below what the moose ate.  Nothing happened in 2024, nor in 2025.  Nevertheless, this year one of those grafts bore apples.

 

In truth, the new trees have not yet produced fruit.  Only one of the grafts lived.  The graft which did survive only bore 4 apples.  Only 4.  But those four apples give me hope. 

 

In the parable of The Lost Son, the father tells his older son to celebrate as the younger son has returned home.  “It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive '" (Luke 15:32) What a blessing to see what seemed to be dead, or was dead, alive again. I choose to see my Lord’s work in the new life of my trees.

 

In addition, the parable of the mustard seed came to mind.  "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches." (Matthew. 13:31-32)  There may only be 4 apples this year, but there were none in 2025.  Who knows for 2027, or beyond? 

 

As I look at the world around, me I see trouble and decline.  There are wars on an international scale, and turmoil in our home country.  Churches suffer from conflict and decline.  Families struggle and fall apart.  People turn away from faith in God and following His guidance, and turn to the lies of this world.  But, in the midst of worldly decline, God is still here.

 

When the city Jerusalem was destroyed and the Jews were captives in Babylon, the prophet Jeremiah wrote what we read in Lamentations 3. 21 But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: 22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”  (Lamentations 3:21-23)

 

That is what God does for us in Jesus. When Lazarus died from illness, Martha and Mary were devastated.  They had lost hope.  21 Martha said to Jesus, ‘Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.’ 23 Jesus said to her, ‘Your brother will rise again.’ 24 Martha said to him, ‘I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.’ 25 Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?’ 27 She said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God’” (John 11:21-27) Jesus raised Lazarus from death. As a believer Lazarus now lives in heaven. God gives life in the midst of death, through Jesus.

 

It is easy to become discouraged when sin creates chaos and division in our world and in our lives.  But, in the midst of such seemingly hopeless situations, our Lord is present.  In Jesus, God grows faith in a world of doubt and disbelief.  In Jesus God brings life from death.  In Jesus we have hope.  As I look at 4 measly apples, it reminds me of the power of God, of His blessings and life in a world of sin and death.  In Jesus we have hope, for this world and eternally!

 

A Child of God, Finding Hope in a Hopeless World, Because of Jesus!

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.  Here are some apple pictures which go with my devotion today.

·        These are pictures of my apple trees from 2017 to 2022.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/yYdQKS9vCxqnCzeJ9

 

·        These are pictures of my trees in May 2023, after the moose attacked.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CipLUGCCEyHo24PB8

 

·        Here are pictures of the 4 apples I picked this year.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/fXotFN8SXWfD1JTm8

 

P.P.S.  I am now serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.  

·        On September 6 and 13 I will be gone, and Pastor Dave Keddington, SMP Pastor at ALC, will be leading worship AND Bible Study.

 

·        Call Committee – On Wednesday, August 19, the Executive Leadership Team of Anchorage Lutheran voted to restart the call process.  ELT President Steve Fibranz has recruited a call committee.  This committee consists of Lynn Boots, Danielle Bowman, Caleb Fluege, Tim and Genae Meerstein, Alexa Mix, Joel Mix, Joe Pollock, and Karen Quintieri.  Also attending meetings will be ELT President, Steve Fibranz, DCE Matthew Murphy, Vacancy Pastor Jonathan Rockey, and Circuit Visitor Tony Schultz.   The committee met on September 10 for a beginning meeting, and will meet again on Sunday, September 20 after worship to evaluate our self-study.

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE CALL PROCESS AT ALC!

 

·        Stewardship Sunday – The ELT also voted to conduct a Stewardship Emphasis which will provide education on God’s plans for Christian Stewardship, and will give ALC members an opportunity to consider and plan ways to respond to God’s grace in their lives.  Watch for updates concerning dates and events.  We will have a special Sunday in November.

 

·        Bible classes

o   On Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we have been studying the book of Ephesians downstairs in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. We have some new lesson books available.  Class begins at 9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.  On August 30 we started Chapter 4.  FEEL FREE TO JOIN US!.

 

o   Pastor Dave taught classes on other topics, Sundays September 6 and 13. 

 

o   Ephesians will start again on September 20, continuing in chapter 4.

 

o   New Member Class? – On August 30 I finished teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship on Sundays.  Beginning in October, IF there is anyone interested, I will teach an Adult Membership Class after late worship.

 

Other Activities of Faith:

I am again taking a two-year journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible.”  On Wednesday, September 16, I read 2 Chronicles 17 and 18, about King Jehosophat and the death of King Ahab.

You are welcome to join in this journey of reading God’s Word.  You may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these readings.  Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net  I have received questions and comments about the readings.  It is always good to consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only God knows!

 

P.P.P.S. Family Fun, Friends, and Fishing!    

 

·        Golf – On Friday, September 11, Pastor Tony Schultz and I golfed at Palmer Golf Course.  It was one of the few nice days we have had recently.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/h92JrfdEdaN2dQJN8

 

·        Harvest – On Thursday September 10 I harvested in my garden. Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NKpCMjvTruwVsdS7

 

·        Raspberries – I picked some leftover raspberries for breakfast on Saturday, September 11 and on Wednesday, September 16.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/hEhfui5BKeY1142XA

 

·        No Fishing this week.  My Palmer boat is in the shop!

 

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran Church as Vacancy Pastor.)

So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment