Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Seeking to Humble Myself and Receive God’s Forgiveness – in Jesus!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

I was attending a birthday party recently, and mentioned to friends that Kathy and I will be going to Wittenberg, Germany, in June of 2027.  I was asked again to serve two weeks with Wittenberg English Ministry, bringing the Gospel to English speaking tourists who travel there to see where Martin Luther did much of his ministry.

 

As the discussion progressed, I mentioned that our world situation is somewhat different from the time of Luther.  In those days many feared for their eternity.  They were preached at for their sin and told of the anger and judgment of the Lord.  People in those days did not know the grace of God, that Jesus died and rose for them and offered forgiveness by His grace, through faith in His saving work, not through their works.  In contrast, today people seem surprised that anyone would point to their sin, to their turning from the Lord, from His law, from worship and obedience.  I have had more than one person tell me, “I don’t have anything I need to be forgiven for.”  If that truly were the case, we also would not need a savior.

 

In my daily devotions I am currently reading through 2 Chronicles, and just read about Solomon’s dedication of the temple.  If I count correctly, in 2 Chronicles 6, Solomon offers a public prayer at this large celebration in which he asks the Lord to ‘forgive’ 6 different times.  Obviously, even at this glorious worship event, Solomon knew the truth of sin. He also knew the need for repentance and for forgiveness from God.

 

I remember reading the book, “Speaking to Gospel Today” by Robert Kolb, in the early 2000’s. Kolb discusses ways, in today’s world, to witness the Good News of God’s love in Jesus.  A main point of his book is that the world around us speaks of God and His truth.  For Kolb, we can look at the pain, the suffering, the crime, the division, the troubles of this world and see that everything is not right.  His point is that such tribulations point to our rebellion against our Creator, and the results of those transgressions in our world.  For someone who looks at the world around them, evil and sin are obvious, perhaps even verifiable facts!

 

People have never wanted to admit that we have sinned, nor that we need help.  Dr. Kolb writes, “Defiant sinners listen to this Word of new life only when they no longer find security, meaning, and identity in the idols which they have fashioned for themselves.” (p. 121) In other words, if people can get along comfortably without the Lord, they often will.

 

Thankfully, the Lord Himself answers Solomon’s prayer in a way which speaks to my heart about our world today. . . . if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)  In spite of our sinful, obstinate, prideful ways, God is gracious, and He does promise forgiveness and healing when people turn to Him in repentance and faith.  That is good news for a lost world, and for our troubled lives!

 

And God’s promise is not just empty words.  Our heavenly Father has shown that love in a real way by sending His Son.  As St. Paul writes, “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)  Nothing melts a hard heart like love.  But, to know God’s love in Jesus, we have to understand how great our sin is, and how great our need!  That is when God’s forgiveness and love really speak to our hearts!

 

 

Have you heard the old saying? “’Denial’ is not just a river in Africa!”  Do you know your short-comings, your failure in life and before the Lord?  Do you know your sin and your need for forgiveness from our Creator and Lord.  If you know your ‘lost-ness’, then I have good news for you from our Lord Himself.  . . . if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”  Thankfully, in Jesus, the news is even better for troubled people like us!

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Humble Myself and Receive God’s Forgiveness – in Jesus!

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.  I am now serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage.  

·        On September 6 and 13 I will be gone, and Pastor Dave Keddington, SMP Pastor at ALC, will be leading worship AND Bible Study.

 

·        Call Committee – On Wednesday, August 19, the Executive Leadership Team of Anchorage Lutheran voted to restart the call process.  ELT President Steve Fibranz has recruited a call committee.  This committee consists of Lynn Boots, Danielle Bowman, Caleb Fluege, Tim and Genae Meerstein, Alexa Mix, Joel Mix, Joe Pollock, and Karen Quintieri.  Also attending meetings will be ELT President, Steve Fibranz, DCE Matthew Murphy, Vacancy Pastor Jonathan Rockey, and Circuit Visitor Tony Schultz.   PLEASE PRAY FOR THE CALL PROCESS AT ALC!

 

·        Stewardship Sunday – The ELT also voted to conduct a Stewardship Emphasis which will provide education on God’s plans for Christian Stewardship, and will give ALC members an opportunity to consider and plan ways to respond to God’s grace in their lives.  Watch for updates concerning dates and events.  We will have a special Sunday in November.

 

·        Bible classes

o   On Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we have been studying the book of Ephesians downstairs in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. We have some new lesson books available.  Class begins at 9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.  On August 30 we started Chapter 4.  FEEL FREE TO JOIN US!.

o   Pastor Dave is teaching classes on other topics, Sundays September 6 and 13. 

o   Ephesians will start again on September 20.

 

o   New Member Class? – On August 30 I finished teaching a class on the Sacraments AFTER worship on Sundays.  Beginning in October, IF there is anyone interested, I will teach an Adult Membership Class after late worship.

 

Other Activities of Faith:

I am again taking a two-year journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible.”  On Wednesday, September 9, I read 2 Chronicles 6-7, about the dedication of the temple.

You are welcome to join in this journey of reading God’s Word.  You may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these readings.  Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net  I have received questions and comments about the readings.  It is always good to consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only God knows!

 

P.P.S. Family Fun, Friends, and Fishing!    

 

·        Alaska State Fair

o   Kathy again entered a number of items in the Alaska State Fair, both sewing and quilting.

§  Many of her sewing items won ribbons. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3JSp1aBawGYcc1YW9

§  One of Kathy’s two quilts was displayed in this year’s quilt show!  (It was the fishing quilt she made for me.  😊  ) https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZcSP7Eq4UuxUxFeV9

 

o   St. John members Mia and Anna Buist also won big for their knitting.  Anna won “Best of Show!”  Congratulations ladies!  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/a5GeMYrhFjVyvZfWA

 

o   I did see the entries of other friends and also St. John members at the Fair as well.

 

·        Garden – THE MOOSE ARE AT IT AGAIN! I went to the garden to pick lettuce for supper, and THE MOOSE HAD EATEN THE LAST OF THE CABBAGE, and again chomped on some collards.  Usually we can count on lots of cabbage at the end of a growing season, but not this year!  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/oy6BU7uXCkvPHaAh7

 

·        For those who asked, Our dog, Mat, has been ill.  But, after a visit to our local vet and some medicine, he seems to be doing mostly better.  😊

 

·        Hunting / Fishing –  Our son-in-law, Brandon, wanted to go moose hunting, and wanted Mary to come along.  Considering our time and options we took my boat out to the Deshka River.  We had some adventures and found LOTS of mosquitos!   I thought it was a nice “camping trip.”  But, we can home early.  Nevertheless, here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rb2gNqokPNyN2RSn8

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran Church as Vacancy Pastor.)

So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment