Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Accepting Difficult Tasks

Dear Fellow Children of God,

Do you ever wonder “if the hassle is worth it?”  Last night I umpired a Little League baseball game. I’ve umpired for a number of years because I enjoy the game and because my kids needed umpires when they played and I coached.

But last night I made a controversial call.  You might think, “What’s the big deal?  It’s baseball, right?  ‘Kill the ump’ is part of the game.”  It was extra innings, so it was a close game.  A young man hit the ball, ran to first, and the ball to the first-baseman was thrown up the line so there was going to be a collision between the runner and the first baseman.  The runner put up his hand and hit the glove hand of the fielder.  According to the rules I could have ruled it incidental contact because of where the ball was thrown, or I could have ruled it runner interference because the runner hit the fielder.  Basically, I decided I was ruling on the motivation of the runner as I saw it.  Was he cheating or was the contact incidental.  I decided not to think the worst of the player, and ruled him safe, not out because of interference.  Of course one team was happy I ‘made the right call,’ and parents on the other side were showing me they had video of the play ‘I missed.’  Either way I ruled someone would have been mad.  I tried to do what was right.  (As I rolled over the play in my head at home last night, I now  think I might have made the opposite call.  But, calls need to be made on the spot.)

So, if I made a mistake, should I continue umpiring and subject others to my mistakes?  Or, if I made the right call, I thought “Why put myself through the hassle?”   

The same thing happens in God’s church.  Taking a leadership position means making decisions.  Often the reason those decisions need to be made is that there are different opinions.  When a leader makes a decision it is sure someone will be disappointed.  Sometimes people volunteer for a job in a servant position, and there does not seem to be enough help.  So, volunteering to serve carries a cost.  I know that God’s children ask themselves at times, “Why put myself through the hassle?” 

However, all these thoughts can help me consider what our Lord endured for us.  Peter wrote,
21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. 22 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." 23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.  (1 Peter 2:21-24, see also 2 Corinthians 5:15)

Jesus went through untold injustice so that he could love and forgive and save us.  He might have asked, “Why put myself through the hassle?”  Where would that leave us?  Without Jesus being willing to suffer injustice we would be lost.  1 Peter also says we should expect the same.  “21 to this you were called, because Christ suffered for you.”  There are times that when we try to serve and put our Christian faith to work there is a cost.  Remember, “to this you were called.”  If Christ served me, I want to serve Him.  My cost will never equal what He endured.

Serving as a baseball umpire is a small hassle, life brings many others our way.  “Why put myself through the hassle?”  I know no one is perfect, myself included.  And, the kids need umpires.  So, I’ll keep serving.  How about you?

A Child of God, Blessed to serve the One who served me,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  This year’s Colony Days Community Picnic and parade entry may have been our best ever.  The weather was great and there were a lot of people at the picnic.  THANKS to all who helped!  Here are some pictures.  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/CommunityPicnicAndParadeColonyDays2011PalmerAK?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaR1PzvoK_RrQE&feat=directlink


**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment