Saturday, June 11, 2011

Needed Strength for Weary People

Dear Fellow Children of God,

In worship last night [Wednesday] I asked the question, ‘Have you seen the commercials for energy drinks, or energy products?’  It seems people are tired and weary these days from all the demands of life.  So now there are more products than ever to give energy. (I’m sticking to my cup of coffee!!)

How about you?  Do you ever feel weary, inadequate, overwhelmed?  Does your faith in God grow weak at times?  This week my mind has been focused on the Pentecost event and God’s gift of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus promised the disciples, 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  The Holy Spirit is God’s source of faith, and strength, and comfort for His children – God’s source of energy for us. 

Some may wonder, ‘But, I often feel weak.  Do I have this gift of the Holy Spirit?”  Actually, if you ask that question you have faith that shows God’s Spirit is working in you.  We may not experience the excitement of tongues of fire, or speech in other tongues that we read about in Acts 2.  But, according to Peter in that Pentecost event God gives the Spirit in a simple act of promise from the Lord. 
38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 
I may not always feel personally strong.  I cannot always trust my experience.  But, God’s Spirit is given by God’s promise. 

God wants all to know His love in Jesus and be saved.  He calls us to believe in Jesus and to share Jesus.  But, knowing the weakness and failure of our obedience and response to His love, knowing the weakness and failure of our faith, God strengthens us to believe and serve by His Spirit.  If you have been baptized, if you have heard God’s Word, the power of the Holy Spirit is alive in you.

Perhaps you would like to pray with me the prayer I prayed from my devotion this morning. . .

Father, let Your Spirit come upon us with power to fill us with His gifts.  May He make our hearts pleasing to you through faith in Jesus, and ready to do your will.  We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one god, forever and ever.  Amen!

A Child of God, Strengthened by the Gift of God’s Holy Spirit,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Monday I took those associated with the Kuwaa African Mission fishing on the Little Susitna.  We only caught 1 king salmon, about a 20 pounder.  But here are the pictures.  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/FirstSalmonTrip2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzGqcDI4b3xxgE&feat=directlink
**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********
 

No comments:

Post a Comment