Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Don't Worry - Pray

Dear Fellow Children of God,

Sometimes I realize that it takes more than just one ‘tap on the shoulder’ to get my attention.  (Maybe it really does take a 2 x 4)  How about you?  Anyway, I have recently had a number of ‘taps’ that point me to the strength and peace with which God gifts us in prayer.

·         Saturday as I was at the wedding reception for Dylan and Lauren Larson I heard my wife quote something she read that points to worry and prayer.  Kathy had read what another mother had written, “Every morning I give my kids to the Lord in prayer.  But by the afternoon I end up taking them back again.”  Hmmm.  Sound familiar?

·         Today in morning devotions I read a quote from C.S. Lewis.  Paraphrasing what this wise English Christian said, I read, “Don’t think anything is too small to bring to God in prayer.  If you are thinking about it, pray about it.”  Good advice.

·         Today I read a devotional e-mail from friend and seminary president, Dale Meyer.  He talked about holidays and dealing with the problems of life.  “Holidays often let us put problems in the background but the day after…ah, the day those problems can come back with a vengeance.

How do you deal with life’s nagging and persistent problems and worries?  I know that one of the reasons for worries is that I / we often trust ourselves, rather than God.  So, when problems arise that are bigger than our wisdom or strength, what do we do now?  . . .  As I read Dr. Meyer’s devotion, the words of Philippians 4:6-7 came to mind.  6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Yes, I am sure God was working to get my attention.  God does call us to peace, even when the world seems to bring only trouble.  When “in everything” we “present our requests to God” He really does answer our prayers in His love and wisdom.  God has taken care of our eternity in Jesus.  Certainly he is able to take care of this life’s concerns. 

I pray Philippians 4:7 for you, and for myself.  7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

A Child of God, Finding Peace in Christ Jesus,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  I have also heard the following proverb.  “Don’t cross your fingers . . . fold your hands.”

P.P.S.  THANK YOU again to Members and Friends of St. John for the commemoration of my 20 years as pastor of St. John, and for the new fishing rod.  On the way back from Fairbanks I caught 5 grayling just east of Cantwell on my new rod.  Here are some pictures of the trip, including one ‘fish picture.’  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/FairbanksTripMay2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKactsaMrbvH7QE&feat=directlink

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment