Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Holiday Thought About Rest, 6-30

Dear Fellow Children of God,

This coming Sunday, July 3, is part of the long 2011 4th of July holiday which most Americans will celebrate in some way.   Holiday’s are intended to be a time of rest and celebration, so I find it especially appropriate that Jesus’ words from Matthew 11:28 in the assigned Gospel lesson for this Sunday talk about rest.  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

We are told that people today are busier than ever.  Many seem to be always tired.  So, where do we go for rest?  What we will hear in worship Sunday is that Jesus says, “Come to ME . . . and I will give you rest.”

Since the 4th of July celebrates our county’s birthday, this holiday is also a time of national remembrance and celebration.  The tune “Taps” is a military song played at the end of the day, and also played at military funerals.  When national celebrations happen at cemeteries this song is often played.  This 4th of July, having read Matthew 11:28, I encourage you to consider the words of this song and prayer.

Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is near.

Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar, drawing near
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise for our days
Neath the sun, neath the stars, neath the sky
As we go, this we know
God is near.

May God bless your holiday celebration with a time of relaxation, and the peace of Jesus.

A Child of God, And an American Resting in Jesus,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Perhaps this rendition will help with this meditation. (You might have to close the advertisements.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wx8C7VmB4

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment