Thursday, June 14, 2012

Our Heavenly FATHER


Dear Fellow Children of God,



About 15 years ago, while at a worship conference in the Chicago area, a group of St. John members and I worshiped at a nationally known church after the conference.  The day we worshiped was Fathers’ Day and fatherhood was the focus of the sermon.  I won’t forget the sermon because I was so disappointed.  The preacher that day talked about King David and what kind of father he was.  This famous pastor pointed to David’s shortcomings as a father, which David surely had.  The pastor then encouraged church members to turn to modern day teaching and counselors for help and direction in their families.



As we celebrate a day set aside to honor fathers it should not be a surprise that there is no perfect earthly father.  Being a good father is a challenging job.  As a father myself I can think of times I was too harsh or strict, and other times I was too lenient.  I can think of times as a father I lost my temper that I later regretted.  While I have tried to set a life example for my children through a Christian life of faith and love, I know that my children have lived with me and they have seen my worst as well as my best.  There are no perfect earthly fathers.



However, the thing that disappointed me the most about the sermon that day in Chicago is that the preacher did not mention our Heavenly Father.  Scripture is full of teaching on God as our loving heavenly father.  In the Old Testament we are told in “As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;” (Psalm 103:13).  In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus teaches, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:11)  No, there are no perfect earthly fathers, but we all have a heavenly father who loves us, who shows compassion, who provides for our needs.  For our greatest need, the consequences of our rebellion and sin, our Father acted in love and compassion and sent His only begotten Son to save us.  There is one perfect Father – God Himself!



While I have some regrets as father, I have always loved my four children.  When I have struggled I have sought to make my first source of help and guidance the fatherly love of God.  Just because I have failed at times does not mean that I am giving up on being a loving and faithful father.  In fact, knowing that all fathers struggle gives me comfort for times I have failed.  Knowing that God is not only father of all, but also father of my children, encourages me to know that our Heavenly Father is watching over my children.  God’s forgiveness and help give me strength and direction to continue working to live a life of faith and love for my children and now my grandchildren.



No, there are no perfect fathers.  But, many of us have had fathers who have loved us and taught us and raised us to know Jesus as our Savior.  I know that my dad willingly took on a difficult job and faithfully worked at that job to love and bless me and my brothers and sister.  And, while not perfect, my dad did a really good job of being father to a son who caused him some trouble.  Such faithful effort in a difficult job is certainly worth honoring. 



May God guide and bless our fathers and our families in all His love and compassion.



A Child of God , my Heavenly Father – What a Blessing!

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here is a picture of my dad and my brothers and sister taken this past January.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/RockeyFamilyGatheringMatthewLeonSBaptism#5700975016796150818



P. P.S.  Last week my devotion talked about options for worship when we are away from home.  Please remember our Wednesday worship.  This is another opportunity for worship when gone on the weekend.  Wednesday worship is held at 6:30 p.m. each Wednesday.



****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.



****


 

No comments:

Post a Comment